Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Live In The Night - ( Surreal Horror Short Film)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Live In The Night - ( Surreal Horror Short Film)

Hi everyone,

I've recently completed my first short film titled 'I Live In The Night'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csEc12QA5H0

It's an experimental horror with a Goblin/Carpenter inspired synth score.
    Our main influences include Argento, Fellini, Bunuel, Kubrick, Lynch, Altman, Roeg, Weir, Bergman, Carpenter etc.

It's low budget and raw but we are happy with the result given our limited resources.

If you have a spare 10 minutes we would love it if you give it a watch!

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Alex.

Did you have a filter or a screen over the lens? There is a grain that doesn't move faintly visible.

Comment

I am going to guess that grain is noise from being shot on a sensor of about 1/2.7" and in low light.

That was a lot of work and you made good use of what you had to work with. There are some stylistic shots which is good. You are not just sticking with the usual "safe" shots. Experimenting is good.

Most important is what you learned from this project. I am sure you learned a lot you did not expect. Use it as a learning tool.

Your camera is not able to shoot in such low light. The noise that is in most of the film is distracting, especially to people who know what that is. If it in fact is not just noise in the footage then whatever you were attempting to achieve did not happen. It appears shot on a camera not capable of low light shooting.

This is a good start though. Like I said, I can see how much work went into it, and also the creative shots away from the norm, and the experimenting. That is exactly what you need to do to learn what works, how to do this, how not to do that, etc. Keep at it.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Scarborough View Post
        Did you have a filter or a screen over the lens? There is a grain that doesn't move faintly visible.
        Thanks for watching Mick, we didn't use a filter or a screen. The digital noise that appears throughout the film is due to using a cheap Samsung
        camera, and would pop up whenever we would shoot in low light. Time for a new camera!

Originally posted by Steve Olander View Post
        I am going to guess that grain is noise from being shot on a sensor of about 1/2.7" and in low light.

That was a lot of work and you made good use of what you had to work with. There are some stylistic shots which is good. You are not just sticking with the usual "safe" shots. Experimenting is good.

Most important is what you learned from this project. I am sure you learned a lot you did not expect. Use it as a learning tool.

Your camera is not able to shoot in such low light. The noise that is in most of the film is distracting, especially to people who know what that is. If it in fact is not just noise in the footage then whatever you were attempting to achieve did not happen. It appears shot on a camera not capable of low light shooting.

This is a good start though. Like I said, I can see how much work went into it, and also the creative shots away from the norm, and the experimenting. That is exactly what you need to do to learn what works, how to do this, how not to do that, etc. Keep at it.

Steve

Thanks for watching and for the feedback Steve, it's much appreciated. Yeah all of the noise is due to the cheap camera, we are planning to upgrade for our next project. We definitely have learned a lot and still have a lot to learn!

Cheers,

Alex.
        Last edited by Alex Tilley; 05-12-2015, 02:34 AM.

Comment

I didn't think it was light grain because it didn't move. Graininess from low light usually moves like static on a TV but this was fixed grain. Yeah as Steve said, its distracting.

Comment

Working...
          X