Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you shifted in movie genres lately?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you shifted in movie genres lately?

Has anyone else had a big shift in the movies they like to watch? I have noticed that my love for horror films has really dropped and I have found that documentaries have become my new favorite genre. I was just curious if anyone else has noticed this, and why it occurs? Have the horror films just been stinking it up? Or have I just gradually grown out of the horror?
    Distribber - Keep 100% of your film's revenue

The thing with horror movies is that it seems that about 25% or so are actually good. Mama was a surprise to me. I enjoyed it very much. Otherwise, I have noticed that I enjoy the fantasy genre more than I used to. Not just with movies either.

Comment

Can't say this has happened to me...and I have a few years on you. :)

I just love a smart, well-crafted film. Doesn't matter what genre it is or who's in it (or whether I've even heard of them). Having said that, the percentage of horror films that fit these criteria is rather low, unfortunately, relative to the number that are produced. I wish it were otherwise, but there are precious few that meet those criteria.

edit -- looks like NHummel and I were thinking along similar lines. I heard a good review of Mama on NPR and plan to check it out.
      2001 Productions Web Site

Comment

Hmmm, maybe it has just been the quality of horror films out. Well not so much the "quality" but the overall story telling and true jumpy scary factors has dropped. I dont know, I have just noticed my love for horror has recently dropped off the cliff
        Distribber - Keep 100% of your film's revenue

Comment

In my opinion, most horror movies these days try to hard to make you jump. I feel like this takes away from the story in a big way. I have always preferred horror movies that mess with your head, and truly send shivers down your spine, as opposed to the ones that make you jump.

Comment

Alas, horror movies haven't scared me for about 30 years. Making films has inured me -- pay too much attention to lighting, camera movement, acting, etc. :(

p.s. - You should watch my film Crimps, NHummel. It's not really a horror movie, more of a supernatural thriller/mystery. If you like in-depth plot more than scares, you might enjoy it.

Comment

Originally posted by 2001 Productions View Post
              Alas, horror movies haven't scared me for about 30 years. Making films has inured me -- pay too much attention to lighting, camera movement, acting, etc. :(

p.s. - You should watch my film Crimps, NHummel. It's not really a horror movie, more of a supernatural thriller/mystery. If you like in-depth plot, you might enjoy it.
              Where can I watch it?

Comment

It's on the verge of being available for streaming on Amazon, and hopefully other platforms as well. I'll definitely be making an announcement.

trailer is here: www.2001productions.com

Comment

Since I don't watch horror films, I can't really speak on them. However, one aspect of their recent failure to impress might have more to do with how people have changed than how the movies have changed. Twenty years ago, there were many more things that were truly "horrific" to us; now, not so much. We see things quite often on the news that would have once made great plots for a horror movie but today we're just mildly disturbed. The media, both real and imagined, have become inundated with violence and stories of the evil of humanity. Very little truly shocks us any more.

But, aside from that, I definitely know what you mean, Nick. I've noticed that other genres have fallen short on their ability to impress as well. Comedies are one of those. Many that have been released lately are more stupid than anything. I think most genres are suffering a bit though. We, speaking as viewers, have such high standards and when one doesn't meet those expectations, we deem it unsuccessful, even if it's still an outstanding production. As someone else said, they just try too hard. Each subsequent film is almost expected to outdo the one before it. The only thing that's going to change that is for everyone to allow each film to stand on its own merits. If it's a good story that has been produced well, say so. Not every movie will be a blockbuster.

Comment

Originally posted by ericNCwriter View Post
                    I've noticed that other genres have fallen short on their ability to impress as well. Comedies are one of those. Many that have been released lately are more stupid than anything.
                    Amen. Sadly, that's what sells to today's audiences.

Take 21 Jump Street, for instance. That movie held no appeal for my wife and me, whatsoever. It just sounded stupid, so we disregarded it. Then I read that it was the highest rated comedy of the year, by both critics and audiences. So the other night we gave it a shot. Guess what, it was just as stupid and unfunny as we thought it would be. Can't trust anybody anymore.

Comment

Interesting question/topic, Nick...

Over the past couple years, I've noticed I've gravitated toward fantasy films--which seem to making a real splash, now that the technology can tell the stories properly. Though I watched most of the Lord of the Rings, I really liked the Narnia series--a LOT!

But in examining my overall tastes, I have to say I've been generally attracted to films with at least an aspect of Fantasy for decades. Cocoon, Close Encounters [sci-fi for sure--but a bit of fantasy]--same with E.T. Going way back, the Jason-Harryhausen films, Dr. Lao, Incredible Mr. Limpet, etc. By en large, those films are about people, not trolls or elves...but they have an aspect of fantasy that makes the story a bit more interesting. The Narnia films, of course, or more overt fantasy which is why I was so surprised I liked them so much.

Kurt Hathaway
                      -------------------
                      VikingDream7 Productions
                      Video Production & Editing

I'm a big horror film fan from way back, but I mean the old school Dracula, Frankenstein, Mummy, Wolf Man stuff. From the 30's to the 70's. I don't see much of the newer horror films, per se, but wish I could pick the better ones from the crowd. I did see the Ring and loved it. Seems like there's so much horror, I can't tell the good from the bad from the trailers anymore.

Comment

Working...
                      X