Any help possible.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any help possible.

I've never directed nor produced a film. But I have an idea that is low budget enough to shoot myself. Played it enough in my head that I don't need the full screenplay. First I would like to make a trailer. What is a good camera and good program for editing to use? If you ever met me, you know I will make this happen.
    Last edited by gcj1980; 01-10-2013, 02:11 AM. Reason: I spelt porduce instead of produced.

That's perfect you have the "can do" attitude, its exactly what is needed for this business. Now about your camera and editing question, what is your goal exactly? To make a short film, feature, or?? What quality are you expecting, what do you want it to look like?
    Distribber - Keep 100% of your film's revenue

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
      That's perfect you have the "can do" attitude, its exactly what is needed for this business. Now about your camera and editing question, what is your goal exactly? To make a short film, feature, or?? What quality are you expecting, what do you want it to look like?
      Let's say for a beginner. Someone who still wants to make an impression. Any length. My film is gonna be a feature. But I'm determined to get my name out there one way or another. Money is the issue for me. I work construction during the days and spend some of my free time writing out my ideas. Joining this sight has only gave me more motivation to continue writing. Almost spending every little bit of free time I have writing and figuring things out. You people have been a ton of help and a confidence builder. I've had ideas that have interested others aswell as gotten gongrads from other writers. I wanna thank you all.
      Last edited by gcj1980; 01-10-2013, 03:57 AM. Reason: added more to the answer

Comment

It all boils down to your budget when you start picking out equipment. And when it comes down to the editing software it is basically up to you. There are a couple of pro grade editing tools that aren't too terrible.

So I just need to figure out what what your budget is.
        http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOnlyHavey

Comment

It's just something I'm gonna save up for as soon as I know what to look for. I'm a formeman in construction and I write in my free time. Just thought I would give the directing a shot.

Comment

Well since you don't have a specific budget. i'm a huge fan of DSLR camera's.

I would personally tell you to get the Canon T3i or if you want something even better, but quite a bit pricier, the Canon 7D.

Then of course get some nice lenses, a good tripod and some other equipment.

Comment

Ok, well I love your attitude.

Here is what you will need.

$25,000

Buy/Rent Panasonic HVX (EDIT) - Or rent a Red Epic

Horror Genre - :deadhorse: So you can sell it and make your money back

One location

Some actors - and Hot actress's

You can obviously do this for much less if you can find people to help you out and get a credit, I can guided you though this and give you priceless advice etc... Just what ever you do, dont use your friends from work

Comment

I do a little editing myself the 2 main programs i used is adobe after effects and vegas 8. Though these programs are not cheap and im currently trying to learn more about after effects but in my opinion are really great.

Though i am an noob at film so i may not have the best advice.
                The newbie.

Comment

First I would like to make a trailer. What is a good camera and good program for editing to use?

==============================

If you're just starting out, just use whatever you can get your hands on before sinking real $$ into a longer-form project.

Camera: anything that captures a moving image...you'll probably record audio through the camera at first, so you won't need a mic input jack. Eventually, you will--as your projects become more complex and more pro. There's no "right" camera. It depends on your budget and what you want to see after you shoot. To start, though--anything is fine.

Editing: I use both Avid and Final Cut pro--both high-end apps for editing. Others available are Sony Vegas, Adobe Premiere Pro. Look around and buy what you can--used older versions on eBay, for instance. You can probably even start out with iMovie at first--but you'll want to upgrade pretty quick from there.

Adobe After Effects is a must-have in my app toolbox, but I do a lot of graphics work that needs to look slick. You can probably get by with simple titles in iMovie or any of the other editing apps.

Kurt Hathaway
                  -------------------
                  VikingDream7 Productions
                  Video Production & Editing

Comment

Originally posted by gcj1980 View Post
                    I've never directed nor produced a film. But I have an idea that is low budget enough to shoot myself. Played it enough in my head that I don't need the full screenplay. First I would like to make a trailer. What is a good camera and good program for editing to use? If you ever met me, you know I will make this happen.

How do you feel now, better? What are your plans?

Comment

I found trying to do my first film to be extremely hard! I was proud and thought I could do anything, I was wrong. Take the advice you get here, and learn learn learn!

Comment

$5000 budget.

Canon t3i with kit lens and a 50mm 1.8 lens = $900
                        Computer with a quad processor and 32 gigs of ram = 1500
                        Wireless seinhouser mics for two people = $900
                        Zoom h4n sound recorder = $300
                        cheap decent lighting kit =$400
                        Glideshot jib crane with fancier heavy duty tripod = $400
                        Kamera slider with manfrotto joystick for dollying and 2 cheap tripods to hold it up = $400

$4800 total. Use final $200 to buy older edition of premiere pro and after effects from ebay.

Comment

^ What he said

Comment

User = Jfvideos

Congrats! Your account has been promoted to "Pro Member" do you your recent activity.

Your Friend,

ROBOT

Comment

Robot rocking the purple name. Kind of cool.

Comment

Working...
                              X