Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What camera should I buy?

Hey everybody,
    I'm looking for a camera that's not too expensive, has the ability to focus well, is rechargable, and doesn't come with some unneccessary program for uploading clips to my computer. I really don't know much at all about cameras so any help at all would be appreciated. Thanks!

Do you have an idea of what you would like to spend?
    Distribber - Keep 100% of your film's revenue

Comment

I'd recommend a DSLR. I mean if you are talking cheap cheap I wouldn't be able to help you.

But something like the Canon T3i.
      http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOnlyHavey

Comment

I have a t3i and I regret not getting a 5d for low light performance and the full frame sensor look Its about 3-4 times more in price but you get what you pay for.

Comment

I have the 7D and I love it. I mean I have the T3i as well. But the 7D when it comes to low light shooting is twice the camera. But he was saying he had a budget, so I went with the T3i.

Comment

Personally, I've got an older HD Camcorder (Canon HG20) and a T3i. I shoot airshows and other aviation events. I'm hoping to add to that interviews for future documentaries.

I'm not sold on the whole DSLR is the do-all way to go for video. Frankly, it sucks for shooting aircraft/moving objects unless you have a $400 tripod/fluid head or you never plan on tracking anything with it.

Canon's VIXIA consumer camcorders are quite nice and offer a lot of features if you're looking for just a pure video camera.

My $0.02
            Fight to Fly Photography
            Fight to Fly. Fly to Live. Live to Inspire.
            Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Fight2Fly
            YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/fight2flyphoto

Comment

Alright, thanks a lot for all the input.

Comment

Can some one explain to me the pros and cons of MiniDV camcorders?

Comment

Originally posted by Fight2Fly View Post
                  Personally, I've got an older HD Camcorder (Canon HG20) and a T3i. I shoot airshows and other aviation events. I'm hoping to add to that interviews for future documentaries.

I'm not sold on the whole DSLR is the do-all way to go for video. Frankly, it sucks for shooting aircraft/moving objects unless you have a $400 tripod/fluid head or you never plan on tracking anything with it.

Canon's VIXIA consumer camcorders are quite nice and offer a lot of features if you're looking for just a pure video camera.

My $0.02
                  Hm really? This is a reason I love this forum, everyone has a different opinion on things.

I have a $150 dollar tripod, has a pretty decent fluid head on it. And I also have a $120 slider, which I use a LOT. I would highly recommend anyone getting it.

I think DSLR's will take over, mainly because they are cheaper for the most part and easier to use, smaller, ect.

But it is all personal preference of course.

Comment

The major con of mini dv is the quality. Its standard definition.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobra_Winfrey View Post
                      Can some one explain to me the pros and cons of MiniDV camcorders?
                      Not sure if this was mentioned already but you need a FireWire cable to download footage, and you have to play the footage realtime, so a 60 minute tape would take 60 minutes to transfer to your computer. A HD camera is drag and drop :D

Comment

Originally posted by havey View Post
                        Hm really? This is a reason I love this forum, everyone has a different opinion on things.

I have a $150 dollar tripod, has a pretty decent fluid head on it. And I also have a $120 slider, which I use a LOT. I would highly recommend anyone getting it.

I think DSLR's will take over, mainly because they are cheaper for the most part and easier to use, smaller, ect.

But it is all personal preference of course.
                        BTW, I feel bad for not mentioning this in the first place, but the image quality itself for video shot with my T3i is way, WAY, better than that of my HG20. Not sure I'd that's because my HG20 is 6-year old technology or the DSLR sensor is that much better.

Once I am able to satisfactorily stabilize my panning and if they have a body that allows autofocus, then I would consider making all my aerial shots with the DSLR. Also, better audio inputs, and the ability to shoot at different aperture, shutter speed, and ISO would cement the move to DSLRonly.

Which I'm sure is only a matter of time. I agree, DSLR is definitely ill continue to make a huge impact on the market.
                        Fight to Fly Photography
                        Fight to Fly. Fly to Live. Live to Inspire.
                        Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Fight2Fly
                        YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/fight2flyphoto

Comment

Originally posted by Cobra_Winfrey View Post
                          Hey everybody,
                          I'm looking for a camera that's not too expensive, has the ability to focus well, is rechargable, and doesn't come with some unneccessary program for uploading clips to my computer. I really don't know much at all about cameras so any help at all would be appreciated. Thanks!
                          Did you find a camera?

Comment

Nick, what do you think of the Black Magic Cinema Camera?

Comment

Originally posted by LCRProductions View Post
                              Nick, what do you think of the Black Magic Cinema Camera?
                              I'm not Nick but I will give you my 2 cents on it. It is too expensive once you add on all of the extras you need to make it viable for filmmaking. Also as of November they were having trouble with the following Canon lenses.

35mm_f1.4L(aperture not working)
                              85mmf1.2L(aperture or focus not working)
                              24-70mm_F2.8L(v1 aperture not working)

As well as being way behind in their production schedule.

Comment

Working...
                              X