Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contolling Focus with DSLR

Hello Masters/Friends,

Is there any tutorial or article which explains how we can control the focus of a movie Object while shooting Video.

Let's say.

A person is walking from 20 feet distance into Camera side. I need to capture the subject. However, I couldn't control the Focus. when the subject close to the Camera, the subject becomes Blur or out of focus.

Can any one has IDEA?

By the way, I am using Canon 500D, 18-55MM & EF 50MM lens.

Thank you in Advance,

Best Regards,

Switch the lens from "AF" to "MF." That is going from auto focus to manual focus. Now, turning the front part of the lens will change the focus.
    -AF

sigpic

Comment

Additional info: If you want to pay for something, you can get a follow focus, and just follow the instructions when hooking it up to your camera. This is much better than actually touching the lens, because it will be less stable and will shake. There are other things that are cheaper than a follow focus, and you can look on Film Riot or Indy Mogul to get some ideas.
      -AF

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous Filmmaker View Post
        Switch the lens from "AF" to "MF." That is going from auto focus to manual focus. Now, turning the front part of the lens will change the focus.
        Thank you so much for your quick reply. I know and i have idea about the shifting the Modes of AF/MF. But while shooting it is very hard to focus the subject. Some times, I couldn't control the focus even i use the Manual mode. Any Idea. I am facing this problem when i am using EF 50MM lens.

Comment

Originally posted by rocky09 View Post
          Thank you so much for your quick reply. I know and i have idea about the shifting the Modes of AF/MF. But while shooting it is very hard to focus the subject. Some times, I couldn't control the focus even i use the Manual mode. Any Idea. I am facing this problem when i am using EF 50MM lens.
          If you are still having problems, you may want a follow focus as mentioned in my second reply. They come in a range of costs.
          -AF

sigpic

Comment

Just thought of this: my camera has a mode that shows areas that are in focus. I have a Sony dslr, and I don't know if Canon has that feature too.
            -AF

sigpic

Comment

Thank you for the reply. I will give a shot with some of the tutorial available in youtube.

Comment

Sorry that I keep posting so much, I just keep thinking of more stuff. If you are willing to sacrifice a cinematic look for it being in focus, try raising the aperture a lot. Almost everything will be in focus no matter where the wheel is with a high aperture.
                -AF

sigpic

Comment

Thank you for the reply. I will give a shot with some of the tutorial available in youtube.
                  Good luck!
                  -AF

sigpic

Comment

Hello Masters/Friends,

Is there any tutorial or article which explains how we can control the focus of a movie Object while shooting Video.

Let's say.

A person is walking from 20 feet distance into Camera side. I need to capture the subject. However, I couldn't control the Focus. when the subject close to the Camera, the subject becomes Blur or out of focus.

Can any one has IDEA?

By the way, I am using Canon 500D, 18-55MM & EF 50MM lens.

Thank you in Advance,

Best Regards,
                    There are several factors to think about in this. One is the minimum focusing distance of the lens you are using. My zoom lens and my cine lens both have a 12" minimum focus length. Next thing to remember is when adjusting the focus is the following: When you move the focus ring to the right you are tracking a target that is moving further away. When you are moving the focus ring to the left you are tracking a target getting closer. The infinity symbol focuses at the furthest distance and the closest depends on the lens. For example my Rokinon 35mm T1.5 Cine Lens has Infinity and 0.3 for the closest.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Jsthompson79 View Post
                      There are several factors to think about in this. One is the minimum focusing distance of the lens you are using. My zoom lens and my cine lens both have a 12" minimum focus length. Next thing to remember is when adjusting the focus is the following: When you move the focus ring to the right you are tracking a target that is moving further away. When you are moving the focus ring to the left you are tracking a target getting closer. The infinity symbol focuses at the furthest distance and the closest depends on the lens. For example my Rokinon 35mm T1.5 Cine Lens has Infinity and 0.3 for the closest.

Hope this helps.
                      Excellent Info. Thank you so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X