Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP, I've got Grain Noise On My Digital Footage!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP, I've got Grain Noise On My Digital Footage!!!

Recently I just finished shooting my third feature film, and in one of the scenes I noticed I did a really dumb ass thing. I under lit the scene. The footage is so grainy, it looks like the actor has developed some horrible skin disease. "Ugh, make flesh crawl"

Now, I'm a poor filmmaker, but I have a pretty decent prosumer camera. It's a Sony HDR AX2000. No more f#[at]king DV tape, Yeaaaa. It records to twin SD chips. I love this as it's a faster download speed to my editing software (Final Cut Pro 7).

Anyway, back to my major screw up.

Many people, the experts (sic), will tell you that, once you have recorded grain noise onto digital, you are totally FUCKED FOREVER, Bwhahahahahahaha

Not true. There is a nifty little program called "Neat Video", and for about 100 banana skins this program will clean the grain off your digital video footage. "Is it perfect?" you ask. It depends on how grainy your footage is. Obviously the more grain the less perfect it will be. But any less grain is better than what you had before.

Check it out at Neat Video - best noise reduction for digital video

Editing Tip: If you want to film a dark scene, and you don't have the best of cameras, go ahead and light it well (avoiding burn out, of course), and then fix it in post. I prefer using After Effects to darken my scenes and Video CoPilot have a great video tutorial on the subject here: VIDEO COPILOT | After Effects Tutorials, Plug-ins and Stock Footage for Post Production Professionals

Wow I wish I knew this before I released CULT worldwide in blockbuster, hollywood video, redbox, and VOD! If you ever watch the film you will see a few scenes around 35 minutes that cut to camera B which had the Gain set to high and it is soooo grainy, it really does make my skin crawl watching it, which is why i cant watch it anymore, that and I watched it 15,000 times in the editing process.
    Distribber - Keep 100% of your film's revenue

Comment

Yep. Shot the first night scene on a feature with a brand new camera and didn't realize that the auto-gain hadn't been disabled. Grain city. Had to reshoot the whole scene. Lesson learned.
      2001 Productions Web Site

Comment

I use Magic Bullet's De-Noiser for that very purpose. It is $99 or comes in their Suite that includes Colorista II, Looks and Mojo among other things.

Comment

Had to through this in, this thread just reminded me so much of this movie and I found this old pic. This was my first film that was released to hollywood video

Comment

Wow, I didn't know you made CULT Nick. Thats cool. I remember watching that when it got released

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
              Wow, I didn't know you made CULT Nick. Thats cool. I remember watching that when it got released
              Did you end up finishing it? LOL

Comment

Working...
              X