Need input on mockumentry/pov/found footage horror filmmakers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need input on mockumentry/pov/found footage horror filmmakers

I'm a film student looking do a mockumentry/pov/found footage horror film as a side project. I don't have much experience. Yes I know this sub genre has been done way to much but I like it. What type of camera could I use without breaking the bank? I want the Blair witch feel to the film. I have a great subject that would make a great documentary by it's itself but I want to turn it into a horror film. I loved the Blair Witch Project and to try create something with little to no money. I have Adobe CS 6 master collection with all the editing programs plus others. I even have a great idea for a production company. Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition. It does 2.7k Resolution at 24 FPS and has a Cine mode. They're $400 and can be mounted just about anywhere. It also has 4k but only at 12fps.

Comment

mbay2008,

You are headed in the right direction. Found footage horror for the budget will be your best chance of making a profit. Since they can be done so cheaply, yet have such a mass appeal I really think you will have a profitable film (If done correctly)

That said, I would have to recommend the Canon ViXiA HD $599 retail, but im sure you can find it cheaper somewhere.

Looking forward to following this project.
      Distribber - Keep 100% of your film's revenue

Comment

I am curious Nick. What would make you pick that particular camera over the GoPro?

Comment

mbay, don't think like that! Because when you do, you will see 30 found footage films after yours that made lots of money!

Paul Shaultz

Comment

Originally posted by Jsthompson79 View Post
            I am curious Nick. What would make you pick that particular camera over the GoPro?
            Because the GoPro has a fixed wide angle lens. Not ideal for making a movie. As well as the audio is not ideal for a feature film, not if you are looking to get it distributed.

Hope that helps :)

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Soares View Post
              Because the GoPro has a fixed wide angle lens. Not ideal for making a movie. As well as the audio is not ideal for a feature film, not if you are looking to get it distributed.

Hope that helps :)
              Ok. I saw something on Film Riot where they corrected the wide angle lens in post via After Effects. As for audio I see people recommend external recorders all the time for various cameras. However you have more experience than I with distribution.

Comment

I'm on a tight budget I recently purchased a sony handycam not hd but the standard one. I wanna return it for for HD under $200. What about this? JVC Everio HD Flash Memory Digital Camcorder (GZE10RUS) with 40x Optical Zoom get it get the job done? Also I plan on using smart phone cameras most of them record HD and have decent picture quality. Would they help or hurt me?

Comment

Originally posted by Jsthompson79 View Post
                  Ok. I saw something on Film Riot where they corrected the wide angle lens in post via After Effects. As for audio I see people recommend external recorders all the time for various cameras. However you have more experience than I with distribution.
                  You never want to count on correcting something in editing. Always, always do your best to get the shot organically on set.

Mbay2008 - What is your budget so we can direct you to a more suitable answer.

Comment

Being a full time college student I'm currently unemployed. Nothing more than $200

Comment

Then just find some old DV camera at a flea market. As long as its not going the theaters then your fine

Comment

Its possible though to make a feature length film though? This is my first film project outside of school. I want to get hands on experience what all goes into a full length film. I'm not really worried about it making it to theaters but it'd be coll if it did.

Comment

Yes - look at blair witch....

Comment

That's look I'm going for. A pov horror mochumentary. The subject I want to do this on would be a great idea for a documentary.

Comment

Originally posted by mbay2008 View Post
                              That's look I'm going for. A pov horror mochumentary. The subject I want to do this on would be a great idea for a documentary.
                              Well, get your camera and go do it! Hope you found your answer!

Comment

Working...
                              X