Newbie Here

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Here

Hi all. My name is Richard. I'm pretty much a newbie when it comes to this stuff. I just wanted to join the community and learn more about filmmaking because it looks awesome! Hopefully I'll be able to get the most out of it. Thanks.

You joined the right spot! Ever have those moments where you wish you knew something? Well kiss those moments goodby :)

Nick Soares
    Distribber - Keep 100% of your film's revenue

Comment

You for sure came to the right place my friend! Hope you can get any questions you have answered and I'm sure you will learn a ton from sticking around on this site!
      http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOnlyHavey

Comment

You sure did Richard, I have learned so much in the last few days, its amazing! And Nick keeps this place real clean, and trolls are not allowed.

Comment

Yep im quite the noob but have received quite a bit of help from this community. You joined the right place!

Hope you find everything you need.
          The newbie.

Comment

Since there seems to be so many folks new to filmmaking on here, I've been thinking about putting together a short resource list.

So here's my first stab at it.

If you're new to film or videomaking, I recommend you familiarize yourself with the following.

>>>>>

Videomaker magazine....buy a copy at the newsstand or subscribe. They often cover pretty basic topics that can benefit new guys. Their website has lots of handy info, too.

The best screenwriting book out there [imo] is the Screenwriter's bible by David Trottier. Your screen story is priority #1 when making a film. If the script stinks, so will the film. There is NO way around that.

Michael J. Strazynski's book is also excellent...The Complete Book of Scriptwriting. He covers all kinds of scripts.

Nick recommended the book Shot by Shot--but I've not personally seen it or read it.

YouTube...lots of short films on there to see--ranging from gawd-awful to pretty damn good. Watch them--all of them. Search for /short film/ or /award-winning film/.../short horror film/...etc.

Also on youtube...lots of tutorials on directing, lighting, sound recording, etc. Poke around for those for some easy learning. Lots of camera reviews, too. FX, too--and make-up--lots of make-up tutes. Poking around youtube could take 3 or more weeks to see everything. So much information there!

Kurt Hathaway
            -------------------
            VikingDream7 Productions
            Video Production & Editing

Comment

Working...
            X