Filmmakers unite:)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filmmakers unite:)

Hello, I'm Denise Treadwell of Treadwell Productions out of Orlando, FL area. I'm a playwright and screenwriter. My passion is writing, writing, writing! Enough said:) I just need to know where to go from here. I was told that once your film has been produced, that's only the beginning! So, my first feature has premeired...now what!?!

Hi Denise.

Are you repped? Has the feature secured distribution?
    2001 Productions Web Site

Comment

Yea, whats the latest news so we can help you more
      Distribber - Keep 100% of your film's revenue

Comment

I'm not sure what 'repped' is... and no we have not secured distribution. Maverick wants us to send them the DVD and they are interested in 'acquisition and distribution' (their terminology). We have scheduled a screening in Atlanta for Feb 28 and would like to schedule one someplace in L.A. But that's where we are for now. Again, new to the industry of film. I just love to write. But I don't know where to go or what to expect. But I certainly don't want to get treated unfairly. If you can help guide, I'd appreciate it. I invite you to take a look at the trailer, "Can Ya' Hear Me Now?" (inspirational feature film).
        Can Ya Hear Me Now? Trailer - YouTube

Comment

Repped, means "Representative" Like do you have a "Rep" For your film? - They help find deals in a hard to find deals industry, a small percentage of them at least

Comment

I also meant repped (represented) as a screenwriter. I assumed from your post that you were just the writer of the film and were looking for more writing gigs. A produced screenwriter has a better shot of gaining representation, and a represented writer has a better shot at selling scripts.

If the film finds distribution, your stock rises even more.

Comment

Repped

Originally posted by Nick Soares View Post
              Repped, means "Representative" Like do you have a "Rep" For your film? - They help find deals in a hard to find deals industry, a small percentage of them at least
              Thanks for the explanation. No, I'm not repped. I don't know how to get 'repped'. The movie "Can Ya Hear Me Now?" is completed, has been premiered and will be screening in Atlanta but that's as far as we've gotten. Just praying to find a distributor who will be fair.

Comment

Originally posted by Treadwell View Post
                Thanks for the explanation. No, I'm not repped. I don't know how to get 'repped'. The movie "Can Ya Hear Me Now?" is completed, has been premiered and will be screening in Atlanta but that's as far as we've gotten. Just praying to find a distributor who will be fair.
                Dont wait on a distributor, have you started your "list" building? By that I mean your buyer list, have you created a facebook page, a twitter for the movie? How and why will people want to buy your film. These are questions you need to ask yourself, normally before you start production, I know your new, and I didn't do these things when I was new either, well there was no facebook or twitter when I started, it was all on the distributor to get the films out.

Start Now!

Start building your fan base. You cannot count on a distributor to make you money, unless you really feel your film is worth worldwide distribution.

Comment

Produced

Originally posted by 2001 Productions View Post
                  I also meant repped (represented) as a screenwriter. I assumed from your post that you were just the writer of the film and were looking for more writing gigs. A produced screenwriter has a better shot of gaining representation, and a represented writer has a better shot at selling scripts.

If the film finds distribution, your stock rises even more.
                  Your assumption is correct. I am the writer of the film. And I would love to find more writing gigs. So, yes I am produced...how do I go about gaining representation as a writer?

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Soares View Post
                    Dont wait on a distributor, have you started your "list" building? By that I mean your buyer list, have you created a facebook page, a twitter for the movie? How and why will people want to buy your film. These are questions you need to ask yourself, normally before you start production, I know your new, and I didn't do these things when I was new either, well there was no facebook or twitter when I started, it was all on the distributor to get the films out.

Start Now!

Start building your fan base. You cannot count on a distributor to make you money, unless you really feel your film is worth worldwide distribution.
                    I understand and we're on it! Thanks a million:)

Comment

Originally posted by Treadwell View Post
                      how do I go about gaining representation as a writer?
                      Best way: Get recommended to an agent by a mutual acquaintance -- preferably someone who is already a client of theirs. Make sure you have at least two more polished scripts ready as writing samples.

Next best way: Attract the interest of a producer to one of your scripts, or - better yet - more than one producer and/or more than one script. Leverage that interest to approach an agent.

Most difficult way: Solicit agencies directly. Pitch them your material, and be sure to mention that a film you wrote is about to be released.

Comment

I guess my first question would be, do you have ownership rights to your film now, or do you have a lot of investors holding it? Did you write a spec script and sold it, or, are you one of the producers as well?

I know, that was a mouthful.

Why I ask: If you control the film, start entering it into the film festivals. Make sure you go to the festivals to kiss as much ass as you possibly can, because there will be other filmmakers there doing the same, ChapStick in hand.

VERY IMPORTANT: I see you want to push your career, so when entering the film festivals, only do it through Without a box.com Here's the link: https://www.withoutabox.com/

The reason this is important is because you want to get listed on the Internet Movie Data Base, and by using Withoutabox.com, you can list your credits on IMDB, which otherwise is damn near impossible to get listed on, unless you have distribution. Withoutabox.com is owned by IMDB.

Next, if you can afford it, attend the American Film Market convention in Santa Monica, California. It is extremely expensive, but you have a great chance of selling your film to a lot of foreign markets. Even if you can't afford to have a booth and a screening of your film, go away as you can meet a lot of very important people there: agents, producers, etc.. Here's the site: About the AFM | American Film Market

Ok filmmakers, pucker up!

Comment

Working...
                        X