Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting serious about filmmaking!

Hey guys,
    My name is Daniel Jaggers and I have been interested in filmmaking for nearly 4 years now. I am currently in college at MTSU (4th best media program for a state school in the country) and I am majoring in Electronic Media Production. In high school I took the first 2 levels of media offered my sophomore and junior year, then senior year I took both the 3rd and 4th level. I am very serious about being a filmmaker as a career. I love it and it makes me very happy.
    I am honestly stuck on what I would like to do with this profession, however. If I could do it all, I would. I am great at editing and I love it! Also, I am very into writing. I just downloaded Celtx and I can't wait to get an idea to use it with. I am very talented with cinematography and getting great shots. On top of that, I sometimes think directing would be a great thing for me as well.
    I currently bought my first real camera, even though it's not meant at all for filmmaking. I purchased the GoPro 3: Black Edition to use with my car and maybe some for a short film I produce one day. I have read a bit on here and the Canon 3Ti looks good to me, and it's fairly cheap.
    I am located in the Nashville, TN area and I am always looking for projects to work on but I haven't had any luck yet.
    If you guys have any advice for me I am always looking for criticism and tips!
    Thanks!
    -Daniel

Hey Daniel! Welcome to the forum.

How do you like the new GoPro?

I think for starters you should just jump right in! Write a few pages of a script, get your friends, grab your camera, and film it, then edit it. After that, you need to comprehend everything that happened. How did the film turn out? Where my friends the best choice to use in my film? Was the film interesting?

The point being, you will learn SO MUCH when you just jump in. You might find out that you dont like it, or you might find out you love it!

Also, you might want to consider making some youtube videos for starters, that along with adsense might be able to show you how filmmaking can profit...

Let me know if you want to know more, or if you have any question just post them up, we have some great members here that can help you if I am away.

Nick Soares
    Distribber - Keep 100% of your film's revenue

Comment

Thanks Nick! I actually have a script already that I made a while back using a demo of Final Draft so I might add/delete/change some of it to make it short film worthy. I actually already have a youtube and an adsense account. The short films I produced in high school are currently uploaded on my channel along with some car videos. I can't make any profit from them yet just because they contain copyrighted music. If you want you can take a look at my channel, my username is the same on YouTube as it is here. My short film that I won an award on and is my personal favorite is called "Skitz".

The GoPro is amazing! I really enjoy the 2.7K resolution! I haven't filmed any footage in 4K yet just because my MacBook can barely handle the 2.7K. Another great thing about it is the 60FPS in 1080P. It gives you great slow motion footage. The battery life isn't the greatest but it is still definitely worth it!

Comment

(EDIT) - NO LONGER LIVE You can post questions right now here http://www.filmmakerforum.org/produc...orum-test.html and i can answer them via live video
        Distribber - Keep 100% of your film's revenue

Comment

Daniel, welcome to the site. Good to see the filmmaking infection spreading, lol. If you ever have any questions...

Comment

Nick's right! Just jump in and "do it all" for now. I went to NYU film school and when I got out had to pick a field in which to work. I like editing best of all, so that's what I did. I did do some set work, but found it mostly boring--too much waiting around. If I was directing, maybe not...but as a PA, it was boring.

These days with video, I'm doing it all again with my own company....commercials, promos, etc. But when I sit down to edit, that's when my smile gets bigger.

Kurt Hathaway
            -------------------
            VikingDream7 Productions
            Video Production & Editing
            khathawayart[at]gmail.com

Comment

Thanks guys!

I haven't really done much research on this yet, but what is the normal set up for a post-production studio. I'm not talking like a major one, but as Kurt said, a "my own company" kind of set up. What kind of Mac? Harddrives? Space on hard drives? monitors? RAM amount? Anything really that has to do with what you need.

Comment

Why does it have to be Mac? LOL

Comment

Because I owned a PC for 5 years and I will never go back. Plus, I use FCP 7. Even if I was ever to switch to Premiere or Avid, Macs still handle the software much better than I have ever seen on a PC. I plan on purchasing a Mac Pro in a few years.

Comment

My set-up's not too fancy, but it's not right "out of the box", either.

I have an iMac with a 27" screen...plus an extra monitor linked up to get more screen real estate. I added 4GB extra ram to the mac, too.

I have a bunch of ext drives I use for job files, various assets, SFX, graphics, SD card back-ups, etc.

Some clients give me dedicated drives for their jobs and they get 'em back when the job's done.

So, I end up switching drives depending on what I'm doing.

I have FCP 7 and Avid software. I have an FCP keyboard that I used when I was learning it, but I don't need it, really.

Kurt Hathaway
                    -------------------
                    VikingDream7 Productions
                    Video Production & Editing

khathawayart[at]gmail.com

Comment

I custom build my rigs so I can't really offer any insight into what Mac to look into...

Comment

I've yet to see a Mac that can stand up against my custom PC however. Not even close...

Comment

Working...
                        X