Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adobe Version ???

Hi,

I have an iMac, 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NIVIDIA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB and I'm almost sure I want use Adobe to edit my full length documentary with footage from several different cameras. I found Final Cut Pro a little difficult and many people have criticized it. So, is there a certain version of Adobe's editing program that is most compatible with Mac OS X Yosemite version 10.10.5?

Thanks, in advance...

Jeff

You will also find people who will say Adobe Premier is difficult.

Some people prefer a stick shift and love it, others will only drive an automatic.

It depends on how you think. One program will seem logical to you in the way you have to do things, others will be totally lost, unable to follow the logic of the program.

See if you can get the chance to play with both, or see someone edit with both. That will give you a better idea of which will work best for you.

Steve

Comment

I don't have access to either program.

So, is there a certain version of Adobe Premiere that is best suited for my particular machine? What is a reasonable price to pay? I heard it's cheaper than Final Cut.

Thanks,
      Jeffrey C

Comment

I don't know much about Adobe Premiere but the #1 thing that turned me off is that you can only get it with Creative Cloud (CC). For me, there is no reason for anyone else to have my footage, my audio, or my video editing projects on THEIR machine. I know young people think nothing of CC and are happy to use the "storage" or "have access to it from anywhere." That is the catch. You get perceived convenience while they get your information, see what you are doing, what you like, what kind of videos you make, your interests, and more. They then take this information and sell it, along with your IP address and such so that other companies can market to you things that they believe you would be interested in. That's why you always seem to see advertisements for things you specifically are interested in, or like when you search for something on Google and then get ads for that specific thing on YouTube or any other website you visit.

If I told you "Hey, you can store your stuff on my machine and access it anywhere, and be confident that I always have a copy of your stuff in case something happens to your computer," would you wonder what I am going to do with it? No one seems to care about that with CC.

Enough of my rant.

I believe Premier with CC is a subscription for $20 a month (Last I checked a year ago) and there is no other way to get it. For some, $20 a month is easier than forking out $300 for FCPX. However, after 15 months of paying on Premiere you begin paying more than you would for FCPX. You also would not be able to stop......THEY have all your stuff.

Meanwhile, my projects and editing is on my computer only....and I don't have to pay any more for FCPX, and I still get updates.

Hopefully someone using Premiere will stop in and be able to give you first hand information about it.

As far as what I said about what they do with your information, the Terms of Use and User Agreement do NOT say they won't do these things, which gives them free rein to do so. Otherwise, they would instill confidence in their customers by assuring they will not do such things in those agreements. It's not there. Yes, I read them. I am old, lol, and that's what we do. Read the fine print.

Good luck,
        Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Olander View Post
          I don't know much about Adobe Premiere but the #1 thing that turned me off is that you can only get it with Creative Cloud (CC). For me, there is no reason for anyone else to have my footage, my audio, or my video editing projects on THEIR machine. I know young people think nothing of CC and are happy to use the "storage" or "have access to it from anywhere." That is the catch. You get perceived convenience while they get your information, see what you are doing, what you like, what kind of videos you make, your interests, and more. They then take this information and sell it, along with your IP address and such so that other companies can market to you things that they believe you would be interested in. That's why you always seem to see advertisements for things you specifically are interested in, or like when you search for something on Google and then get ads for that specific thing on YouTube or any other website you visit.

If I told you "Hey, you can store your stuff on my machine and access it anywhere, and be confident that I always have a copy of your stuff in case something happens to your computer," would you wonder what I am going to do with it? No one seems to care about that with CC.

Enough of my rant.

I believe Premier with CC is a subscription for $20 a month (Last I checked a year ago) and there is no other way to get it. For some, $20 a month is easier than forking out $300 for FCPX. However, after 15 months of paying on Premiere you begin paying more than you would for FCPX. You also would not be able to stop......THEY have all your stuff.

Meanwhile, my projects and editing is on my computer only....and I don't have to pay any more for FCPX, and I still get updates.

Hopefully someone using Premiere will stop in and be able to give you first hand information about it.

As far as what I said about what they do with your information, the Terms of Use and User Agreement do NOT say they won't do these things, which gives them free rein to do so. Otherwise, they would instill confidence in their customers by assuring they will not do such things in those agreements. It's not there. Yes, I read them. I am old, lol, and that's what we do. Read the fine print.

Good luck,
          Steve
          Thanks, Steve! I've used an older version of FCP so I'll be more familiar with FCPX. I really appreciate your time and knowledge.

Sincerely,
          Jeffrey C

Comment

I was hoping someone with first hand experience with Premiere would chime in. I admit I have a bias, but that's my generation. I know Premiere is a good program, I just don't like how they string you along if you want to use it.

Don't go just on my say. Get input from Premiere users too so that you have an informed decision.

Steve

Comment

FCP Version?

I don't know what are the best versions of FCP are for my particular iMac. I don't want to buy a version then find its incompatable. Is FCPX the best or would a slightly older version work fine for a documentary with footage from different cameras?

Thanks, in advance, for your time.

Comment

What's your reason for not upgrading to the latest OS? Its free.

Steve

Comment

Fcp version

So I should buy fcpx, not an older, cheaper new version? I apologize, but I don't understand why I should buy latest version (fcpx:$300) when an older version (fcp v.???:$150?) might suit my needs. It's been a while since I edited with, I think it was called final cut studio(?). My MacBook pro crashed/died. I'm just trying to spend reasonably and not over-buy.
                  If fcpx is what I need, I'll save for it. If not, I'll buy an older version which I assume would be cheaper.

Again, I'm sorry for being so green but this film is almost 10 years in the making and she's my first feature length.

Thanks,
                  Jeffrey C

Comment

Well, just go with the latest version since its coming with new feature and less bugs. I cannot force you to buy the latest one if you really that broke, its back to you on deciding.

Comment

Working...
                    X