No announcement yet.

Mac vs PC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are so many factors to consider, but for me it comes down to a computer’s graphics card, and the available software formatted for it. I prefer Macs because they can partitioned for both the Windows and Mac platforms. You can run both Vegas and Premiere on a Partitioned Mac.

As HD is now the preferred resolution, with a move now towards 2 and 4 K, a good to a great graphics card is necessary. Regardless of your computer lag issues will arise. Learning how to manage memory, cache cleaning, and the use of codecs can go a long way towards having a long, slow night of editing, and a quick efficient one.

- Wolf
    Last edited by scooterwolf; 12-17-2016, 06:56 AM. Reason: spelling correction

Comment

Originally posted by scooterwolf View Post
      There are so many factors to consider, but for me it comes down to a computer’s graphics card, and the available software formatted for it. I prefer Macs because they can partitioned for both the Windows and Mac platforms. You can run both Vegas and Premiere on a Partitioned Mac.

As HD is now the preferred resolution, with a move now towards 2 and 4 K, a good to a great graphics card is necessary. Regardless of your computer lag issues will arise. Learning how to manage memory, cache cleaning, and the use of codecs can go a long way towards having a long, slow night of editing, and a quick efficient one.

- Wolf
      I agree with you, but I'm a little bias to windows because you can easily upgrade graphic cards. If you have a limited budget you can start with a GeForce then upgrade the graphic card to a NVIDA Quadro when budget allows. The only limitation is to make sure you have a power supply that can support the better graphic card.

So if you are on a budget then Windows is the better option.

Comment

I used PC for probably 15 years. When I was required to purchase a mac for school, I fell in love with it. Don't worry about software offerings. There are free emulators like WINE that allows you to use Windows software on a Mac. I have been doing this for about 8 years now and am very happy.

Comment

The Mac vs. windows argument is meaningless now. You can build a super computer on a windows system for pennies on the dollar of what a mac would cost. I personally prefer the mac interface so thats what I use. I would say that if you are in the market for a mac you should take a hard look at the 2012 mac pro (last model before the trash can). It is completely upgradeable unlike the trash can. The computer is a beast but the processor is getting old so no matter what you do you will eventually have a bottle neck at that point even with the 3.47 ghz 12-core. a good website to visit is create.pro. they build killer macs and Z workstations.

Comment

I use a PC and likely always will. I bought my son a Mac for his engineering college and really do not think its a user friendly computer. But those used to using a Mac would disagree. Truth be told both platforms are excellent for film editing and SFX. Get what you like.

Comment

Working...
            X