No announcement yet.

What resolution should I downgrade to?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What resolution should I downgrade to?

Hello, my dear friends. Thanks so much for taking the time to read my question and offer your suggestions.

I would first like to comment that Mr. Nick Soares is doing a wonderful job here. I saw one of his videos last night and found it very helpful. What a blessing.

I am just now digging in to home video filming, partly as a hobby, and partly for work. I need a tiny bit of advice regarding video resolution.

Essentially, I am filming a series of skits digitally with two and three actors in each. I am trying to edit the videos on my laptop, using PowerDirector13 on a laptop with a 2.1GHz processor and 3GB RAM, using Vista Home Premium. (I started out on Windows Movie Maker, two months ago, and I am slowly upgrading to better programs, as you might guess. After this I may upgrade to Vegas, Premiere, or whatever, in a year or two. I have limited access to a Mac with iMovie installed, but most of my editing must be on the Sony Vaio described above, using PD13, for now).

Well, I ran into some file-size trouble. I recorded the first skit with two cameras (A & B), and used digital memo recorders on each actor, to record the sound, hoping to sync it all later on the computer. I recorded everything in HD mode at very high resolution, in MP4 format, having never used my Canon Vixia HF R500 before, assuming it would be better resolution than what I really needed, but just to be safe. My 45-minute takes came out to about 4GB each. Consequently, things are sluggish on the timeline in PD13, with my limited hardware. (I have no means of upgrading hardware at this point)

Now I have decided that, in order to edit faster, I need to back-track, if possible; make a separate copy of the clips, and downgrade those to a lower resolution, so that I can do the editing faster with my limited hardware. Then I will mix them down to make my finished "movie." (I will keep the original raw footage separate somewhere, filed away, at high resolution) This first take was not great anyway, so I will make a better one another day anyway. I need to get what I've got, ready to go by this Sunday. The editing will not very complicated anyway--a question of just removing mistakes, off-camera remarks, background noise, etc.

I could not find an efficient way to downgrade in PD13, nor in Windows Movie Maker, so am trying "Any-Video Converter", to do the downgrade conversion, having never done this before. Later I will use the downgraded footage, to do the editing.

What I would rather NOT do is to downgrade the quality too much, nor to keep it too high, as my goal, at this point, is to get the video edited fast, and as soon as possible. I would not want to waste six hours doing the conversion, only to find that the resolution was too low.

Consequently, my only real question is: what resolution should I convert to, and how.

To answer that, I know that you need to know how I intend to show the video. I intend to use this particular finished movie ONLY to show with an ordinary video projector, in conjunction with a PowerPoint presentation, but NOT EMBEDDED into the presentation. I just want to save the WMV file, or MP4 or whatever, to the desktop, and open it after I finishing showing my PowerPoint presentation. The finished file size is therefore irrelevent, but the size of the clips during the editing is the issue.

I might add that, essentially, the format for the clip downgrade is not an issue for me, either, as long as PD13 will import it and allow me to edit it easily.

Essentially, I want the best resolution possible for this simple projector set-up, to present before about 1,000 people in a small building, about half the size of a typical high-school cafeteria in the U.S. (for those of you who know). I would project at a distance of about twenty feet from the screen, and the audience would sit another thirty or forty feet from it, in the opposite direction.

CONCLUSION:

Can you tell me what specs to downgrade to? What bit rate? What video size? (e.g., 720x576) What format should I save these downgraded clips to, for editing? Keep them in MP4? What format should I export my finished movie to, for showing?

Thank you so much for taking the time to offer your suggestions.

Sincerely,
    Erik

Audio: 192 kbps, 48000 Hz, 16 bit stereo WMA
    Video: 29.970 fps, 1280x720 progressive, 5 Mbps,
    Pixel Aspect Ration: 1.000

These are settings you could use if using Sony Vegas 9. It would reduce the file size by a hell of a lot while maintaining quality. I don't know if your programs do this. Just a side note, Sony Movie Studio is very affordable and has many features Vegas has.
    Last edited by Mick Scarborough; 02-26-2015, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Mick, you are the best.

I asked the very same question in my post above, on several other forums, as I was in a bit of a rush for an answer. Already I got about fifteen responses, and yet none of them really answered my question, except you.

One of them just suggested I use another program, for example.

One of them tried to get me to figure out why my program was so sluggish with these big files.

Another guy suggested I use a proxy file--which I was unaware of, and which was great advice--but was still not an answer to my question (in case my program did not even have a proxy-file feature for editing).

Another guy just mentioned that he had had the same problem as I, without mentioning how he solved it.

And the list goes on.

Still, nobody answered my question, except you--and some of those guys seemed to be experts.

Lo and behold, Mick comes along and tells me EXACTLY what I wanted to know. Better yet, after answering the question, he then offers additional helpful suggestions. I call that a clear and logical way of thinking. Congratulations.

Anyway, thank you so much for the information.

Thanks, also for the suggestion about Movie Studio.

Coincidentally, after spending about ten hours online comparing features, prices, and customer feedback, I decided that it was a toss-up between PowerDirector13 and Movie Studio. For the sake of time, I bought and downloaded PD13, and downloaded the Movie Studio trial version. I intend to put them both to work.

What I forgot about was the tendency of programmers to bloat their programs with lots of features and plug-ins, without first warning the customer that it will not work smoothly on certain system set-ups. They say, "It will work on Windows XP with 2GB of RAM" but what they really mean is, "If you just have one small clip loaded, and all other programs closed, and you don't try anything complicated, it will barely work, albeit somewhat sluggishly..."

So, I should have bought an older version for my set-up (2.1Ghz 3GB RAM Vista Home Premium)

Anyway, I am grateful for your help.

Comment

I know it's a little late for you, but for anyone reading this thread in the future, make sure to check out Lightworks. It is a free editing software and has a decent renderer.
        -AF

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the tip, man. I will look into Lightworks.

Meanwhile, Mick, I had downgraded all 20GB of footage too much to be useful, only because nobody wanted to answer my posts until you came along. So now I am following your suggestions to run it all through again.

Meanwhile, can you tell me what the minimum "bit rate" is that I should use for my projector set-up described? 1024? 2000? 4000?

Comment

Oh, yeah. Lightworks.

A few years ago I stumbled across that one and downloaded it. Then I got this run-around for online registration. One of those situations where nothing you can do is good enough to satisfy the online registration process--invalid password, invalid username, name already registered, etc. I e-mailed the author and got no answer.

Last month I tried again, after three years. Newer version, different computer, upgraded OS, but same run-around from Lightworks.

I searched online for help, and other folks were having the same problem, and same lack of response from the author.

The program looked great, indeed, but what more can I do?

I am glad to hear that a few people managed to get it registered. Maybe those are the Linux folks or the Mac guys. Maybe it only works on a 64-bit system for Windows, while mine is 32. (Yes, I downloaded the right version three times)

Still, I am grateful for the information.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Jon View Post
              Oh, yeah. Lightworks.

A few years ago I stumbled across that one and downloaded it. Then I got this run-around for online registration. One of those situations where nothing you can do is good enough to satisfy the online registration process--invalid password, invalid username, name already registered, etc. I e-mailed the author and got no answer.

Last month I tried again, after three years. Newer version, different computer, upgraded OS, but same run-around from Lightworks.

I searched online for help, and other folks were having the same problem, and same lack of response from the author.

The program looked great, indeed, but what more can I do?

I am glad to hear that a few people managed to get it registered. Maybe those are the Linux folks or the Mac guys. Maybe it only works on a 64-bit system for Windows, while mine is 32. (Yes, I downloaded the right version three times)

Still, I am grateful for the information.
              That's weird, I'm on windows 64 bit and had no trouble at all. The OS shouldn't have to do with registration...
              -AF

sigpic

Comment

2500 kbps

Comment

Thanks, Mick. It worked like a charm.

Thanks, Anonymous.

Comment

Pay it forward. Help another filmmaker on this forum with your own knowledge when you can. That's what makes this forum so great.

Comment

You got it. Will do.

Comment

Working...
                      X