Warning: Use of undefined constant THIS_SCRIPT - assumed 'THIS_SCRIPT' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /home/filmmakerforum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(369) : eval()'d code on line 25 Advice on video cards - DV transfers? - Filmmaker Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice on video cards - DV transfers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on video cards - DV transfers?

I'm going into post on the short film I completed and I'm looking for some practical advice regarding transfering video from a DV tape to an external source for editing purposes.

I have rougly ten hours of footage on standard definition DVC video tape that I would like to upload to a memory card, flash drive, or video card so that I can hand it over to my editor. I'm relatively new to this practice so I'm looking for any suggestions regarding a decent card to purchase. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    www.facebook.com/destroyallsisters

Visit the official FB fage for my short film, "Destroy All Sisters".

Do you have a camera that has a way to connect to your computer? If so, you can capture directly to the computer then start your edits, you dont need to go from camera to flashdrive then to computer. What editing software do you have?
    Distribber - Keep 100% of your film's revenue

Comment

I have a Panasonic DVX100 with firewire and all that business. However, I'm turning the project over to someone else to do the editing duties. Upon re-examination of my first post, I realize I didn't do too well to clarify this.

I would rather hand him over a few video cards or flashdrives then like 9 or 10master tapes.

Comment

CrazyJim,
        Why don't you just get a portable hard drive powred by usb and just put the footage on that and hand it over. It would probably be cheaper than half a dozen flash drives.
        Plus if it's a short film and you have 10 hours of footage, wouldn't you trim it down yourself before you hand it over. You might be able to cut enough so you can reduce how much storage you use. 10 hours is an awful lot of footage to hand over to an editor for a short.

Comment

OK you have a DVX-100, as do I. So do you have an editing software? If so you will connect via firewire and capture the footage, then this will give you some capture scratch files that you can just drag to a flash drive, Now you will have you original footage, your original files, and be giving your editor the uncopressed files as well.

Comment

Originally posted by GMackenzie View Post
            10 hours is an awful lot of footage to hand over to an editor for a short.
            Agreed. I generally like to round up in these cases as I would rather have extra space and not need it then need space and not have it.

I'm thinking I'll transfer all the tapes onto my computer then trim out all the fat using Windows Movie Maker. Now, if I save that to my external hard drive, I should be able to just hand that over for him to do his magic, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Jim Films View Post
              Now, if I save that to my external hard drive, I should be able to just hand that over for him to do his magic, right?
              Yea, if you drag the file to the flash drive it will "copy" them to it, and keep your originals. (always make sure you see "Copying Files" when its transfering) just to be safe.

Nick

Comment

Thanks for all your help.

Now for my next dumb question. I apparently lost track of the Fire-Wire cable I once had. Anything reasonably-priced you can point me in the direction of that I might find at my nearest Best Buy?

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Jim Films View Post
                  Thanks for all your help.

Now for my next dumb question. I apparently lost track of the Fire-Wire cable I once had. Anything reasonably-priced you can point me in the direction of that I might find at my nearest Best Buy?
                  Just get the cheapest one you can find, they normally get more expensive as they get longer, but just get the length you need and your good to go. Let me know if you cant find a check one, I might have an extra I can send you.

Comment

It's odd that I'm able to write scripts, organize projects, and work quite well in directing actors but when it comes time to putting this stuff on a computer, I'm like my grandmother trying to program her VCR.

I picked up a firewire cable today but from the looks of things, I believe I picked the wrong one. It looks to be a 9-Pin to 6-Pin cable for MacBook Pro. How I didn't pick up on this at the store, I'll never quite know. At the risk of furthing exposing my indeptitude but also attempting to avoid further problems, let's see if I can simplify this. I'm guessing I want a 4-Pin cable and and if I'm not mistaken, the port for it is located above the Audio and Video In/Out ports, right next to the S-Video In/Out port. That one marked "DV", correct? Or is it somewhere else entirely?

Comment

Here is what you should have
                      Attached Files

Comment

Alright, cool. Again, thanks. You're a life-saver. So I would be correct that with a DVX100B, it connects into the port that says "DV" just above the mic inputs on the right side of the camera?

Comment

Yes :)

Comment

Wait,... Hmmm Im not sure where it is on the Mac Pro, I though it was in the back corner, but im not sure.

Comment

The Mac Pro was wrong anyway. I have a PC. I picked it up without checking things properly.

Comment

Working...
                              X