Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "separating" sound?

hello all

my name is alex, i'm new to these forums, and i wanted to know your guys inputs on a particular topic. i am planning to film a scene where someone is going really fast towards one direction either running or on a bike/skateboard. the angle i plan to shoot from would be from the side of the talent so he would appear to run/ride towards the left or the right side edge of the screen.

with that said, i will to have to get someone drive a car for me while i film him so as to keep up with his speed and keep him in the middle of the screen as long as i could. anyway, my concern is how would i be able to separate the sounds coming from the car and the talent's? although i did think about getting a sound guy in the car with me and get him to mic the talent with a boom stick as we go but have crossed that option out since it would be too dangerous for him and the equipment. so, what do i do? any and all help will be appreciated, thank you.

PS the location i plan to film on is not controlled

I would get a field recorder and plant it somewhere. What sounds from the person did you want to pick up?
    -AF

sigpic

Comment

everything. i want the sounds coming from the talent to be as raw as i could get it with minimal background noise. from the sound of the skateboard wheels whirling to his foot scraping the concrete as he pushes provided if he were on a skateboard of course but you get the point.

Comment

Can you rent a wireless lavalier mic?
        Screenwriter and script consultant: www.maralesemann.com

Comment

A Lav mic may not have enough pickup (for the skate board sounds and all.) Just stick a shotgun mic out the car window with your arm, so long as you are not driving in a narrow alley you shouldn't pick up the car much.

Comment

^ my thoughts as well. also, the lav mic might pick up sound i dont want in there like the talent could bump into it unintentionally after all he is moving quickly. i will try the method without the boom stick thank you everyone for the responses.

Comment

Just make sure you get a pretty directional mic.
              -AF

sigpic

Comment

Is Foley Sound an option? Can you add the audio in post-production?
                "Nobody knows anything"

Comment

A lo-tech solution would be a shotgun mic in the car--pointed at the talent.

It'll pick up audio from that direction and keep the car's roar to a minimum.

Kurt Hathaway
                  khathawayart[at]gmail.com

Comment

Just do one take with the car for video purposes, then another take without the car to focus on audio. Take the video from one and the audio from the other, and combine them.

Comment

I recommend going the Foley route. That would be the simplest and easiest way to pull off the effect.

Comment

I would recommend a lav. wire the mic hidden on your talent's back or in a hat or other stationary part of his body. I would't recommend placing it on his lapel. You'd get wind rushing as he rides his board and you will pick up his heavy breathing. A lav mic is very sensitive and can pick up great sound. Experiment with placement. The main thing is to get your shot as safely as possible. having someone holding a boom in a moving vehicle is pretty risky and you will also get the rush of wind against the mic unless you use a blimp. Good luck!

Comment

This is going to require some editing.

Record your shots.

Remove audio from the scene

Go record the skateboard with the camera on a bike

Add the audio from the bike camera in the shot,

If there is a voice, record the voice separately

Comment

Hello alexyap,
                            I know nothing about video production, but as a composer i agree with EricTheman post. The best would be to record each sound seperately and after that we can cut the sounds that you don't want to be there. All we need is separate samples.

Thanks,
                            Soundmaxx

Comment

Working...
                            X