Fix it in Post

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fix it in Post

Ever botch a scene that leaves you wondering how you can fix it without re-filming it all over?

This is a quick tutorial I created on how to hide and mask screw ups and mistakes, in post production. I'm working with Final Cut Pro 7, but it really doesn't matter what program you use. This is just one of many masking techniques. If you have one to share, please post it here so we can all learn together.

Thanks for watching :)~

That was a clever solution, Director. Nice that the nature of the scene presented you with that option. Pretty amazing the amount of sin that AE will absolve us.

I had a shot in my feature that was a full establishing view of a house. Somehow, nobody at the location noticed that there was a whole pile of grip gear - stands, tripods, even a jib! - plainly visible in the frame. A little AE magic and - poof - gone. I myself can't even spot which shot it was anymore.

On another occasion, an actor was supposed to pick up two cups of coffee. That scene was shot after the scene that followed it, in which the coffee is being consumed. In the interim, we'd forgotten that the cups had black sippy-lids on them! I freeze-framed a clear shot of one of the lids, isolated it, then animated it over every shot in the preceding scene. Took a whole day to do, but nobody has ever spotted it.
    2001 Productions Web Site

Comment

Originally posted by 2001 Productions View Post
      I had a shot in my feature that was a full establishing view of a house. Somehow, nobody at the location noticed that there was a whole pile of grip gear - stands, tripods, even a jib! - plainly visible in the frame. A little AE magic and - poof - gone. I myself can't even spot which shot it was anymore.
      It would be great to see how you performed that feat. I think many of the younger and beginning film makers can learn a lot from this type of "Fix it in Post" magic act.

And thanks for watching :)~
      Last edited by Director; 04-23-2013, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Subscribed!
        -AF

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous Filmmaker View Post
          Subscribed!
          Thanks for watching, much appreciated :)~

Comment

Hey great Job!!! Way to think outside of the box

Comment

Thanks Eric, you're The, uh...Man

Comment

Did anyone else notice that he said "Thanks to my friends at Filmmaker Forum" - Now that made me (us) feel good. Great job director!!

Comment

Hey Charles, Yes I pretty much put that together for Nick's forum. And thanks for watching :)~

Comment

No by God, I won't let it die!

Comment

Clever! I wonder how long the list would be, if filmmakers wrote down every thing they fixed in post...
                      Red Onyx Productions

Comment

Very nice tutorial. Keep up the great work!

Comment

That was very clever.

Comment

Thanks for posting.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                              Did anyone else notice that he said "Thanks to my friends at Filmmaker Forum" - Now that made me (us) feel good. Great job director!!
                              I saw it and that made my day!

Comment

Working...
                              X