Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floo - A New Video Editing System

Hey!

I am working on a personal project for my study which targets to provide a new way of video editing. I want to introduce a system for the earlier stages of the editing process where a story needs to be created, using the available content. I target to more involve the different people involved with the movie in the actual process of making the assembly of the footage and rough cut, letting any of them contribute to the shaping of the story. I believe that such a system can make the editing process more creative through discussion and play resulting in a more explorative and social way of editing.

As a teaser I made the movie below and I would like to hear your thoughts on this concept to get an idea of what the people in this field think about such a system. Other than this I would like to hear your views on the opportunities of new ways for video editing and why the way we edit has changed so little since it moved to computers.

I will be prototyping several modules in the coming month, but this is still a lot of work, so I will give you an update when I am that far! Any feedback, remarks, comments, questions or suggestions are very much appreciated! (positive and negative!)

Regards,
    Terence

Nice After Effects and motion tracking skills. Did you do the AE?

Comment

Very interesting, this is something that could be marketed to the mass social audience, I don't think that "filmmakers" would be your audience, but anyone that can afford your product. I do not fully understand the product but if you could create something that everyone could use, even a 5-6 year old then you will be a millionaire - I get 2% BTW for this advice
      Distribber - Keep 100% of your film's revenue

Comment

That looks really cool! I agree with Nick, it could be marketed towards the average American, because it seems very intuitive.

-AF
        -AF

sigpic

Comment

I agree with the previous two posts. As a film maker, I felt that the system looked like it would make my life much more difficult rather than simpler. There's no way I would ever even think about trying to do professional work with something like this.

I would say film makers are definitely not your target audience. I can see it selling as a sort of novelty item for technology geeks (because it does have a "cool" factor to it), and also aimed at the editing and computer inept like grandmothers who don't know how to use a computer and don't care to learn but would like to be able to edit together simple videos. I think you're kind of in the same market as that thing in the late 90's that connected television sets to the Internet so people without computers could check email and do basic web browsing (what was that thing called?).
          Last edited by Vance Baryn; 04-18-2013, 02:11 AM.

Comment

Indeed it is not something that can replace the current efficiency of editing and perhaps more interesting as a system for the more unexperienced, perhaps for schools or companies that would like to use video as a way for internal communication. But I am wondering whether at the start of the editing process, it would be an interesting tool to aid in the storytelling aspect. People have said that the actual story is told during the editing, but editing is very individual. wouldn't it be more valuable and fun to shape this story in a group and by this putting less weight on the editor.

Originally posted by Director View Post
            Nice After Effects and motion tracking skills. Did you do the AE?
            Thanks, I did the tracking with mocha and composited it in AE, still ended up doing quite some manual work with the tracking though.

Comment

I think you're kind of in the same market as that thing in the late 90's that connected television sets to the Internet so people without computers could check email and do basic web browsing (what was that thing called?).
              I think that was simply called "web tv." I got one for my parents, although we were eventually able to migrate them to macs that are simple enough for them to use (my dad is 80, my mom is 79...).
              Screenwriter and script consultant: www.maralesemann.com

Comment

I'm not exactly sure what you mean when you talk about collaborative editing. I have edited everything I have directed and directed everything I have edited, so there is no big mystery in the editing phase. I planned from the moment I made my shot list how the movie was going to fit together, and there are very few other ways it could fit together. No need for collaboration.

People doing documentaries are in a different boat, but in that case they are working with so much footage that a system like you present would be unwieldy. They would have to have thousand of those things set out on a race track with people running back and forth to arrange them. and there is no easy way to see how long each bit of footage is. Or see in and out points.

This is just my opinion, but it seems like this system is necessarily either unwieldy or trivial. If there is only 5 or six bits of footage being moved around, the task is basically trivial. there's very little to be decided anyway. If there are much more, working with these physical objects would become unwieldy really fast.

Comment

Working...
                X