Sound Syncing With Plural Eyes 3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound Syncing With Plural Eyes 3

If you are foolish like I am and don't properly slate your takes or even if you are wise and you do, you should try Plural Eyes 3. At first, I was skeptical but it really takes the raw video footage with sound and matches it with the independent sound recordings. It isn't perfect and sometimes can't find a match even if it is there. However, it has just saved countless hours trying to get my sound synced with the video. There's a thirty day free trial, and I highly recommend it. I used it in conjunction with Final Cut Pro 7.

Wow, I spend 8 months away from editing and these kind of programs are created, any videos of it working on YouTube?
    Distribber - Keep 100% of your film's revenue

Comment

There are several tutorial videos on YouTube but frankly it was pretty simple. You drag all of the files, both video and audio, into a FCP sequence timeline. You then import them into Plural Eyes and hit synchronize. PE figures it out although I did have the actors or my son clap their hands before each take. It creates video/ audio files that are synced.

Comment

I do have plural eyes, but have not used it yet.

I'm currently cutting a low-budget feature that used actual slate claps, but there were no audio markers such as "scene 5a, take 3"---it was just a slate clap. I think they thought if there were 36 video takes on day 1 of shooting then there would be 36 audio takes, also...figuring out which files belong together shouldn't be that hard.

BUT--there were a lot of false starts and finding the matching files was a huge time waster. We may have 36 video takes and 48 audio takes on any given day. It was all trial and error--no system in place at all.

So anyone who's doing a hand clap or just a slate, call out a sync word or phrase that the video and seperate audio can pick up--and make it different each time. This will go a long way in getting the right files matched up in post-production.

"Sync word: Cheeseball" or Hamster, lampshade, Superman, Lazyboy, etc....any ol' word will do as long as it's different with each take.

And the closer the slate and sync word is to the head of the take, the faster syncing will go.

Kurt Hathaway
        khathawayart[at]gmail.com

Comment

Working...
        X