Color Correction in Final Cut Pro or AfterEffects

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Color Correction in Final Cut Pro or AfterEffects

After watching a video today I realized that Final Cut Pro seems to be lacking in the ability to color correct compared to Adobe After Effects. I have seem both tutorials for FCP and AE but I am curious what do you all use for color correction and why?

If you have the Final Cut Pro suite it comes with Apple Color, which is light years beyond what the filters in FCP can do. I used it to grade my last feature and have gotten many comments on the look of the film.

Here's an example. I don't have the ungraded frame for comparison, but the actor's skin tones were normal.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Madam Chandler.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	60068
    2001 Productions Web Site

Comment

Also, comparing FCP with AE is a bit unfair. They're designed for two completely different purposes. Good luck editing your film in AE. A more apt comparison would be FCP with Premiere.

Comment

I have never had the chance to use the suite, is it possible to purchase the Apple Color by itself?
        Distribber - Keep 100% of your film's revenue

Comment

I don't know the answer to that. However, if you are a Final Cut man the suite is...well, sweet! I used all of the applications - FCP, Soundtrack Pro, Color, Motion, Compressor, and DVD Pro - in making CRIMPS. Each has its specific purpose in the greater scheme, and all play well with each other (not to denigrate After Effects, however -- still the best effects software, hands down).

Comment

I have used both FCP and AF. Lately I have switched to DaVinci Resolve 9 Lite. You can get the Lite version for free at their site. Just click here: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve

Comment

I use Magic Bullet's Suite in FCP X and After Effects to color correct my short. More specifically I use Magic Bullet Looks and create custom presets and I also use Colorista II.

Comment

Great info guys, thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Director View Post
                  I have used both FCP and AF. Lately I have switched to DaVinci Resolve 9 Lite. You can get the Lite version for free at their site. Just click here: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve
                  Yeah, because currently I have an older computer, it doesn't work, but I am getting a new computer next week! But I think it works on most, and I have heard amazing things about it.
                  -AF

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X