Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have expereince with Final Cut Express?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have expereince with Final Cut Express?

I am just curious and am looking into getting Final Cut Express to start learning the basics of editing. I think if I know how to cut and when to cut it will make me a better director.

Please let me know if anyone has experience with it, and if it is worth the $99

Charles, I have worked worked Final Cut for years. And yes, knowing how to edit will help you to be a better director. As far as FC Express goes, this must be an old version because I don't think FCP makes express anymore, although I could be wrong. However, I did own express at one point, and having used the full FCP version, I didn't like the Express functionality.

Here's the full version of FCP 5, for $99 that I think you'll like better than Express: Apple Final Cut Pro 5 0 Retail 1 User 718908102961 | eBay

Comment

Wow, Final Cut 5 for $99 nice! Is this legal to buy a license off ebay and stuff like this?

Comment

Of course

Comment

I myself am bias towards the Adobe suite, I know its a bit pricey but having the ability to dynamically link between programs is a godsend. I've talked my coworkers to migrate from FCX to Premiere.

Comment

Yes, the Adobe Master suite is awesome, but I don't think Charles has the $2,500 to spend on it, and even if he did, I would still recommend that he start off with a lessor program to find out if he will even stick with it. Editing is not for everybody. It can be a very tedious, time consuming task. So, start off learning to drive the Volks Wagon bug, and if you really dig it, then by all mean, go for the Ferrari.

Comment

True, but there is always smaller packages to buy that the whole suite, even then you could do the 30 day trial and test out premiere. But now with the creative cloud you can pay monthly, I believe it's like $20 bucks a month to have Premiere CS6.

Either way I do agree, try something basic, then move up as you grow more familiar with it. Best of luck!

Comment

I went from Express to FCPv5 pretty quickly several years ago.

I think it's worth $99, but obviously if you can get v5 or better for $99, jump in. I use v7 and won't get X anytime soon.

I use both FCP and Avid, but am more proficient with FCP. Just cut with it all day yesterday on a half-hour show. I love it.

I'm an old film guy___Super-8 and 16MM___ so the things I can do with a mouseclick in FCP is simply amazing.

Kurt Hathaway
                -------------------
                VikingDream7 Productions
                Video Production & Editing

khathawayart[at]gmail.com

Comment

Hey Kurt. I remember cutting and splicing super 8, and using the mini viewer to preview the cut. Guess we're showing our age here.

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys, I have purchased a FCP off ebay! Thank you all. I will upload my first video when I get the disc's in and get some footage

Comment

Hey Kurt. I remember cutting and splicing super 8, and using the mini viewer to preview the cut.

=========

Good times, Director...

I bought and read Cinemagic every month, practiced its methods--made some cool FX--all with Super-8.

Kurt Hathaway

Comment

Way to go Charles, which version did you get?

Comment

Originally posted by khathawayart View Post
                          Hey Kurt. I remember cutting and splicing super 8, and using the mini viewer to preview the cut.

=========

Good times, Director...

I bought and read Cinemagic every month, practiced its methods--made some cool FX--all with Super-8.

Kurt Hathaway
                          Yes, but I wouldn't want to get back to it. What we can do now in 4 hours would have taken a week back then.

By the way, I just picked up "Davinci Resolve" for color correction. Have you ever used it? Check it out here: Blackmagic Design: DaVinci Resolve Software

Comment

I started out making movies with Super-8 as well. Good times. Doing visual effects by splicing a piece in backwards... actually having to shoot at a higher frame rate to do slow motion... What fun. I even shot a movie on Super-8 in film school, but had it transferred to a digital format and edited with Premiere :-)

Comment

Working...
                            X