Editing with iMovie blows

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Editing with iMovie blows

So now after watching some of these FCP videos on youtube I really feel like I am missing out on "real" editing abilities, is there anyone here that uses iMovie as well? Do you ever consider upgrading to a better "paid" program?

I got the editing blues :(

FYI i dont have the money just yet to upgrade to anything good. any recommendations would be great

Comment

If you really want FCP - Then maybe try to save and get Final Cut Express. I do believe you would be overwhelmed anyway by all of the FCP features. Final Cut Express will give you the basics of FCP (there is lots in FCE) and Express will still take you a while to learn, but it will get you going while you save up. Just my thoughts.

I think Final Cut Express is $99?
      Distribber - Keep 100% of your film's revenue

Comment

I assume you're on a Mac, so this may not help you much, but Adobe has now released all of their CS2 products for free, which means Adobe Premiere 2.0 is part of that. Yes, it's an old version, but it still runs circles around something like iMovie. It's real professional editing software. By the way, After Effects 2.0 is also there and it looks like there is a Mac download for that.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitl...=cs2_downloads

Comment

iMovie does indeed blow.

Upgrade ASAP.

Kurt Hathaway
          khathawayart[at]gmail.com

Comment

Check with eBay. You'll find FCP or Premiere very reasonable.

Comment

iMovie is the worst!! Our intro film class uses iMovie then once you've taken the prerequisite they set you free with FCP lol. There are cheaper options. They won't have the capabilities of FCP but there are certainly other video editing options out there. I agree though, check eBay. You can always give the other software a shot; they usually offer a 30 day trial and see if it's comparable to FCP. If only FCP were cheaper (or iMovie were infinitely better)

Comment

Does FCP offer a student discount? This might not be helpful but I was just wondering :) I'm about to graduate so I was thinking of getting a software while I still get a discount (if I do in the first place).

Comment

I know the Whole creative Suite is discounted for students HERE $30/Month

Comment

If someone has an upgrade can they sell their original software?

Comment

You can also use Blender, which has a video editor. And a Mac version of Lightworks will be coming out soon as well.

Comment

Nick is right in that Express will keep you busy until you can move up to 7 or X. With X the current version, 7 must be cheap to get on Ebay. I still use 7, though I have X. I probably should at least learn X soon since 7 is no longer supported--and X now finally supports multi-cam editing which is what I use most.

Kurt Hathaway
                        -------------------
                        VikingDream7 Productions
                        Video Production & Editing

khathawayart[at]gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                        X