This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distribber Review

Ok guys here we go. I am writing a review on Distribber - Distribber is a company that lets you keep 100% of the profits derived from digital outlets such as iTunes, Netflix, and Hulu. Distribber does take an upfront fee, so I am here to review Distribber on a day to day basis from submitting, to receiving payments and comparing to past distribution experiences so subscribe by clicking "Thread Tools" and click Subscribe To Thread you may choose to get instant email notification as well.
    Follow us at twitter.com/filmmakerforum

Here are some recent reviews from filmmakers: (In no specific order)

March 1st 2016
    "If you want to be in complete control of your own film's destiny, there's no better option than Distribber. Within days of talking with them, they quickly got our film accepted and scheduled for release on iTunes, and it quickly climbed to #1 on the doc bestseller list in 4 countries! Even better, after the affordable flat fee, we kept all the revenue. They managed the entire process efficiently and with complete transparency. I can't see doing it any other way in the future."
    Steve Yu, Director - The Resurrection of Jake The Snake
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/re...e/id1063943948

Jan 22nd 2016
    "I enjoyed working with the team at Distribber. They are very knowledgable, always helpful and available to communicate."
    Jon Long Producer / Director - The Search for Freedom
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/th...m/id1020541044

Feb 10th 2016
    "In the complicated and often cut-throat world of film distribution, it was a true pleasure using Distribber for the TVOD distribution of our film An Honest Liar. They went above and beyond our expectations in being helpful, responsive, and open about the process. I would not hesitate to recommend them to other filmmakers."
    Justin Weinstein - Producer/Director AN HONEST LIAR
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/an...ar/id996270491

March 22nd 2015
    "Finally, a company that assists in taking your film directly to major platforms without taking a cut of the film's revenue. Also receiving sales data in our dashboard has really helped us understand where our revenue is coming from."
    Leo Resig CEO theCHIVE.com
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/ho...sy/id963933886

June 5th 2015
    "Distribber is the most empowering resource available to us in distributing our work to the platforms where the audience prefers to watch our content. It’s a straight-forward and easy relationship where the filmmakers retain all of their rights.."
    Jace Freeman - Producer "Ballad of Shovels and Rope"
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/th...pe/id956969963

July 8th 2014
    "Distribber was the solution to a big problem for Indy film producers - middlemen. If our film is able to make some money in the long run, we know that it will be going to us rather than to agents and others. So thanks Distribber! Also, they did a good job of getting our film on iTunes and were able to solve some technical problems so that it passed iTunes tough quality control standards. Again, thanks Distribber!"
    Stan Freeman "The God Question"
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/th...on/id891955374

July 16th 2014
    "Distribber is a rare find for independent filmmakers trying to get their movies into the hands of the consumers. I know of no other company that is as honest and has the best interests of an independent filmmaker in mind. Receiving the daily sales numbers and analytical report through their Revenue Reporting Tool is an amazing piece of mind and a re-assurance that my movie is actually being sold. I know of no other company that would provide its clients with the actual sales numbers. Distribber is the future for Independent Filmmakers."
    Joseph James "The Freemason" Starring Sean Astin
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/th...on/id895568728

July 20th 2014
    "My experience with using Distribber for my feature film Surviving Family can be summed up in one word: great.
    I had several distribution options available when we finished the festival run; I picked Distribber because (1) their contract offered me as the producer a higher percentage of the receipts and (2) I really felt that they wanted the movie. While I’m sure that the first point will be (very) important in the long run, it’s the 2nd point that I want to focus on at the moment.
    Nick Soares and his team have been incredibly supportive and responsive. The process of getting a low budget indie on iTunes is not an easy one, and I would not have succeeded without the assistance of Distribber. Not only have they done everything possible to make sure that Surviving Family meets the quality standards, they’ve also kept me informed every step of the way. My questions and concerns have been answered quickly, courteously, and informatively.
    I highly recommend Distribber."
    Mara Lesemann "Surviving Family"
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/su...ly/id904568522

July 21st 2014
    "Distribber made it possible for us to get our film into distribution channels we didn't have the resources to secure otherwise. They pushed hard for the film and are motivated to see it succeed."
    Greg Everett "American Weightlifting"
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/am...ng/id897351708

January 3rd 2015
    "Distribber is a godsend to independent filmmakers! As a first time distributor of an independent film, the care and attention we received from the team at Distribber made releasing our film to a mass audience not only possible, but simple and cost effective. I can’t say enough about the absolutely painless process of preparing our film for all of the biggest online platforms, and the unparalleled information and data that we have received through their sales reporting. With Distribber’s software and advice, we were able to learn and adapt our distribution strategy as we went, saving us from some common pitfalls for independent filmmakers. On top of all that, Distribber is without a doubt the best way to make your film profitable while maintaining full ownership rights and an undivided percentage of your films profits!"
    Blake Waring "VOYAGE"

https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/voyage/id956727522

August 2nd 2014
    "Distribber helps us see how our film performs day by day on some of
    the biggest platforms!"

- James Colquhoun
    Director,
    FOOD MATTERS

iTunes

https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/fo...rs/id440629515

Amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/Food-Matters-J.../dp/B009FIMVKA

A quick presentation from Distribber:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyB3SiKB9Vk

When your film is first submitted to Distribber your projects page is updated with lots of information based on the platforms you have selected during checkout. You can track the progress of your assets which is really helpful. When you film goes live they will update the status, and once you have your first report you see the image below this one to see what you get.

Click image for larger version

Name:	distribber_projects.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	60821

Here is a screenshot on the reporting tool
    - You get the most detailed visual reporting in the industry.

Name:	reporting.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	60822

Here is an older version of our reports, as you can see there are quite a few changes. (April 21st 2014)

Name:	rrreports-distribber.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	60798

[UPDATE - April 10th 2014]

Below is my original review of Distribber 2 years before my company acquired it.

I am going to use Distribber with my next feature film that is complete

What I will do is pay the fee and begin to compare my past films on iTunes and this new one.

I am very interested to see personally what 100% of the profits look like, and compare those numbers with a past distribution company that took a 30% but they also marketed the film.

So hopefully through this experience you guys can see this through my eyes on every step. I will be doing some youtube videos but most updates will come here.

Nick Soares

Update: Distribber Review Jan. 24th 2012

Ok so I filled out all of the info needed to submit my film, after receiving my username and password. After that I was taken to the area where you choose your channels, in my case I will be using iTunes, and Hulu. Clicked Next and it brought me to the License Agreement, this is where I had to stop (for now) because while Distribber claims you keep 100% of the rights, the contract clearly states that Distribber will be the rights holder. I totally understand why they need the rights if their going to be the one that pays me 100% So I send the contract to my lawyer and will just confirm thats all it is.

Update: Distribber Review Jan 25th 2012

Haven't heard back from lawyer, but I did here back from there marketing manager. I looks as if you have to pay the FULL amount just to submit your trailer. It states to submit your film but has no option to upload or send your full movie, instead you need to pay (for me) would be about $2,000 straight from my account without knowing if I will be accepted. If I am not excepted I am supposed to get my money back minus a $30 processing fee. This seems like bad business in general for the indie filmmakers to make them pay all fees upfront just to send in a trailer (Update - Jan 26th 2012) Once you pay there are more steps to complete, totally makes sense now. I will contact the CEO of Distribber and will update shortly.

Update: Distribber Review Jan 25th 7:20pm 2012

Emailed - 6 hours later no reply

Update: Distribber Review Jan 25th 7:51pm 2012

Ok so for those curious what they would have you sign. Its a basic agreement allowing Distribber to have permission to submit to the platforms you select. Following is the agreement and contract between Rights Owner and Distribber - Overall Distribber still looks very promising to the indie filmmaker

Update: Distribber Review Jan 26th 9:02pm 2012

I received an email about 30 minutes ago stating that it is true - I need to pay $1,200 to submit my info and trailer (not the entire film yet) as well as sign this agreement below before I can do anything else. It is promised that if the film is not excepted that I will receive a full refund minus a $30 transaction fee which seems incredibly low...but I will pay the fee and continue with this journey....

Update: Distribber Review Jan 27th 10:10pm 2012

An interesting quote from the contract that contradicts the website info
    "Payments will be made for the preceding calendar quarter within 30 days of each quarter ending on: March 31st, June 30th, September 30th, and December 31st."
    According to the current website they state you may pull your profits at any time, this statement (I believe means different) Has been forwarded to lawyer for clarification purposes.

Update: Distribber Review Jan 31st 10:35pm 2012

Ok guys, lawyer states "It is clear whether contract is terminated even if film is declined in process, distribber will return the money and rights and its highly unlikely any malicious possibilities with this company owned by IndieGoGo" So I will continue as planned and will make the payment tomorrow! Stay tuned!

Update: Distribber Review Feb 3rd 1:02pm 2012

Something came to mind just before I sent the payment, some of you might have thought the same. "If I can only submit the trailer when I pay the funds, does that mean that iTunes will base their decision off the trailer alone and not the entire film? Because I only have the option to submit the trailer--- So I emailed Adam Chapnick this questions and am waiting for a reply. (Update, its actually very simple. You submit your basic info, pay for the platform, then add more info and send in the material)

Update: Distribber Review March 12th 5:35pm 2012

Sorry for the halt on this review, had to do some pickup scenes for a new feature I am working on, but im back at it and payment has been made two days ago, and I am currently getting deliverables ready - Dylan and Adam are a pleasure so far, and Distribber still seems to be the most promising.

Update: Distribber Review August 1st 7:35am 2012

Ok, looks like Distribber has a new member - Jason Brubaker! I love this guy. Dylan was not responding to my emails ever, EVER! and its impossible to talk on the phone. While i cant say that Dylan was the reason why Distribber was so slow to respond, I do know that my communication took a 180 when Jason came on board. I think Jason is exactly what Distribber needed. So far Thumbs up to Jason and Distribber.

UPDATE: Distribber Review February 6th 1:38am 2013

I apologize for the delay, I have a new baby girl in our family and I was also laughing my own company. So yea.... - Ok back to topic, I will be finishing up the submission for "The Recording" and I will update everyone here how it goes. Again, since Jason Brewbaker has come on board with Distribber things have been really lookin UP!

Distribber - Keep 100% of your film's revenue

Ok I just made my first youtube video on distribber

Ill post it here when its done uploading

Comment

Link

When it's up, post the link! :)

Comment

Originally posted by hoodsdavidscott View Post
        When it's up, post the link! :)

Ok so i recorded it with my iMac on youtube, but when im finished it says loading, BUT IT NEVER loads! So mad, I did a 4 minute video and it just doesnt compress.

Oh will ill get it figured out for tomorrow

Comment

Update: (added this to the top)

Ok so I filled out all of the info needed to submit my film, after receiving my username and password. After that I was taken to the area where you choose your channels, in my case I will be using iTunes, and Hulu. Clicked Next and it brought me to the License Agreement, this is where I had to stop (for now) because while Distribber claims you keep 100% of the rights, the contract clearly states that Distribber will be the rights holder. I totally understand why they need the rights if their going to be the one that pays me 100% So I send the contract to my lawyer and will just confirm thats all it is.

More to some tomorrow

Comment

Subscribed

Comment

Update: Jan 25th 2012 (added to original post)

Haven't heard back from lawyer, but I did here back from there marketing manager. I looks as if you have to pay the FULL amount just to submit your trailer. It states to submit your film but has no option to upload or send your full movie, instead you need to pay (for me) would be about $2,000 straight from my account without knowing if I will be accepted. If I am not excepted I am supposed to get my money back minus a $30 processing fee. This seems like bad business in general for the indie filmmakers to make them pay all fees upfront just to send in a trailer. Though im not bashing Distribber, I believe there services will do great things, but in my opinion there are a few flaws keeping them from succeeding. I will contact the CEO of Distribber and will update shortly.

Comment

Thanks for the update.

Phil

Comment

Update: Jan 26th 9:02pm 2012 (added above)

I received an email about 30 minutes ago stating that it is true - I need to pay $1,200 to submit my info and trailer (not the entire film yet) as well as sign this agreement below before I can do anything else. It is promised that if the film is not excepted that I will receive a full refund minus a $30 transaction fee... I could not fined anywhere stating that if the film is not excepted that this contract below is terminated, because before signing you have to agree to them. So that is the only part that is still unclear to me, but I will pay the fee and continue with this journey....

Comment

added to top

Ok guys, lawyer states "It is not clear whether contract is terminated even if film is declined in process, though it is highly unlikely there are any malicious possibilities with this company owned by IndieGoGo" So I will continue as planned and will make the payment tomorrow! Stay tuned!

Comment

Added ^^ this

Something came to mind just before I sent the payment, some of you might have thought the same. "If I can only submit the trailer when I pay the funds, does that mean that iTunes will base their decision off the trailer alone and not the entire film? Because I only have the option to submit the trailer--- So I emailed Adam Chapnick this questions and am waiting for a reply.

Comment

Added to the top:

Update: Distribber Review March 12th 5:35pm 2012

Sorry for the halt on this review, had to do some pickup scenes for a new feature I am working on, but im back at it and payment has been made two days ago, and I am currently getting deliverables ready - Dylan and Adam are a pleasure so far, and Distribber still seems to be the most promising.

Comment

Nick - thanks for keeping everyone up to date with whats going on w/ your movie at Distribber, great company...

Looking forward to hearing more about your new VOD online and cable plateform, i heard from another forum that you are going to make VOD really cheap for filmmakers.. not sure how you can or plan to do that, but would love to hear more.

Comment

Originally posted by M5Boss View Post
                            Nick - thanks for keeping everyone up to date with whats going on w/ your movie at Distribber, great company...

Looking forward to hearing more about your new VOD online and cable plateform, i heard from another forum that you are going to make VOD really cheap for filmmakers.. not sure how you can or plan to do that, but would love to hear more.
                            Well we wont be of any competition to Distribber, we will only become an asset to them, as we will basically finance films for distribution, therefor allowing more films to be submitted to Distribber, its just we will be paying the fee, not the filmmaker.

Comment

busy with amazon on demand but. . .

I'm watching this thread with eager eyes. I saw distribber today and eager to see if it works out for you. I've already submitted my film to amazon video on demand, via Create Space.

Comment

Working...
                              X