Vimeo On Demand vs pre-sale distribution

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vimeo On Demand vs pre-sale distribution

Hey i was wondering if anyone on this forum has used Vimeo On Demand ? or know someone that does. If so , what are the difference from traditional distribution? i usually have my projects sold to diff territories via pre-sales with a 80/20 international and 65/35 north america . So i got an offer from vimeo for 30k for exclusive worldwide rights for 30 days and they're 90/10 split They also want to promote the project at TIFF this year.I'm just not sure what to do .. i just joined today because i really want to find some really good advice and perspective from diff ppl in this community . All replies are welcome

thanks for your time guys !

You got an offer from Vimeo for 30k for 30 days? What is the split for then?
    Distribber - Keep 100% of your film's revenue

Comment

the split would be 90/10 split.. 90 for us .

Comment

and yes 30 days for 30k

Comment

They are offering you 30K for 30days. I am assuming the 30K is for all rights for 30days on vimeo, Im not sure what the split would be fore.

Non the less, TAKE IT, TAKE IT, TAKE IT!!!!! TAKE IT NOW, WHY ARE YOU STILL READING THIS

YOUR STILL HERE?

WHat!!!! Go!!!

Thats 30K for 30days in a market where people cannot even break even on a 30K horror feature film in worldwide sales!

YOUR STILL HERE??????

Comment

So in other words the $30k is a minimum guarantee, and once the sales have exceeded roughly $34,000 (of which 90% would be about $30,000) you will start getting 90% of each sale in addition to the $30k? Is this correct?

Is the film finished? What genre, budget etc.? Have any traditional distributors shown interest?

When you say pre-sale, do you mean the traditional model where you sell a movie based on the cast, genre, director etc. to distributors before filming, or are you talking about something different?

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Soares View Post
              They are offering you 30K for 30days. I am assuming the 30K is for all rights for 30days on vimeo, Im not sure what the split would be fore.

Non the less, TAKE IT, TAKE IT, TAKE IT!!!!! TAKE IT NOW, WHY ARE YOU STILL READING THIS

YOUR STILL HERE?

WHat!!!! Go!!!

Thats 30K for 30days in a market where people cannot even break even on a 30K horror feature film in worldwide sales!

YOUR STILL HERE??????
              The split would be for the sales.. you can sell it for 9.99 or rent it out for 3.99 right on vimeo on demand.. so thats what the 90/10 split would be for . the 30k is strickly for the rights.

My first feature was Zombie Hunter and we had a sales agent go to AFM and Berlin last year for majority or our worldwide pre-sales.. Our total gross to date is 680k with a few royalty cheques still on the way.

my problem is that vimeo wants the first 30 days exclusive but they also want it up for 2 years .. which could hurt our international sales..
              and this next project is a very big documentary. it is the sequel to "The Union: The Business Behind Getting High " <-- imdb
              we also have a 180 000 fans on our facebook page so we could drive alot of them to the vimeo site for sales but not sure if its the right route..
              the slightest mis-step could hurt us for a couple 100k.

Comment

Originally posted by OffMindEnt View Post
                So in other words the $30k is a minimum guarantee, and once the sales have exceeded roughly $34,000 (of which 90% would be about $30,000) you will start getting 90% of each sale in addition to the $30k? Is this correct?

Is the film finished? What genre, budget etc.? Have any traditional distributors shown interest?

When you say pre-sale, do you mean the traditional model where you sell a movie based on the cast, genre, director etc. to distributors before filming, or are you talking about something different?
                Yes that is correct ! yes the film is finished . it is a documentary , budget is roughly 250k and we also raised another 218k on kickstarter
                look up "The Culture High" on kickstarter.
                And yes that is exactly what i meant by pre-sales but actually we sell it when its in post production , so we shoot everything first , then we make a poster and trailer and thats what goes out to TIFF,SUNDANCE,AFM ETC with our sales agent

thanks for your reply btw

Comment

thank you for replying ! appreciate it !

Comment

and yes there is alot of interest from many distributors .. So thats where im stuck.. not sure if vimeo is the right route to take this or should i use my sales agent ?

Comment

If you can show me a trailer and some artwork then I can better assist you.
                      Last edited by Nick Soares; 02-15-2014, 11:30 AM. Reason: my = me

Comment

Congratulations on your sales success on Zombie Hunter! That's the one with Danny Trejo, right?
                        Were you able to break even with the sales, or be profitable?

I would say you are in a very good position right now, coming off of a succesfull movie and getting offers for the next one already!

So the deal with Vimeo would be 30 days exclusive, and after that non-exclusive but they still get to sell it and rent it on their site after that?

In your position I would reach out to the distributors and ask if this will be a problem for them, and if it will affect the sales price.

For example a domestic distributor who buys all the rights, might want exclusive rights on all platforms, and if Vimeo is able to sell it on their site, the domestic distributor might think that the package is not as valuable to them, since they would have to share internet rights with Vimeo basically.

But then again, if you are able to get $30k in advance, and it will continue to generate cash flow to you, I would say it is a very good deal, the 90-10 split particularly is probably the best you could get!

I would say go for it, unless it will substantially hurt your chances at selling it to traditional distributors.

I would also maybe negotiate a performance guarantee in the contract, where it gives you the chance to get all the rights back if it fails to generate a certain amount of sales in a certain timeperiod.

Comment

Congratulations on your sales success on Zombie Hunter! That's the one with Danny Trejo, right?
                          Were you able to break even with the sales, or be profitable?

I would say you are in a very good position right now, coming off of a succesfull movie and getting offers for the next one already!

So the deal with Vimeo would be 30 days exclusive, and after that non-exclusive but they still get to sell it and rent it on their site after that?

In your position I would reach out to the distributors and ask if this will be a problem for them, and if it will affect the sales price.

For example a domestic distributor who buys all the rights, might want exclusive rights on all platforms, and if Vimeo is able to sell it on their site, the domestic distributor might think that the package is not as valuable to them, since they would have to share internet rights with Vimeo basically.

But then again, if you are able to get $30k in advance, and it will continue to generate cash flow to you, I would say it is a very good deal, the 90-10 split particularly is probably the best you could get!

I would say go for it, unless it will substantially hurt your chances at selling it to traditional distributors.

I would also maybe negotiate a performance guarantee in the contract, where it gives you the chance to get all the rights back if it fails to generate a certain amount of sales in a certain timeperiod.

Yes its the one with Danny Trejo , yes we were profitable. We made it for roughly 90k and we got an additional 40k from kickstarter.

Yes that is correct, they get to keep it on there site for 2 years after the initial 30 day exclusive period.

I really appreciate the advice OFFMINDENT !! thank you !

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Soares View Post
                            If you can show me a trailer and some artwork then I can better assist you.
                            yes i will send the trailer in a pm .. once my partner gives me the okay. thanks for your time Nick !

Comment

Working...
                            X