Online Film Distribution?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Online Film Distribution?

I've just finished a short film I'm very proud of (www.theartofdreamingfilm.com), and I'm trying to figure out the best way to plan an online release. Are there any online distribution sites (like VODO) that anyone would recommend? I'd like to release it for free with an option for the viewer to donate if they liked the film.

My two main concerns are to get as many people to see it as possible, and also to be able to collect contact info (email) for all viewers, since one of the points of this will be to develop a fan base for my future projects.

Any thought? Thanks in advance!

Hey Bob, thanks for joining this community!

Your idea of getting as many people as possible to view it and to also collect their contact info is nearly impossible. I say nearly because its not impossible but it proposes a "catch 22"

No service out there would allow you to obtain their contact info - If they do, then its a service people should not be using because that's the whole SPAM stuff started.

To get the most eyes on your film would be Netflix streaming, but they do not share info

You could sell the film yourself on a website and require a email and contact info etc... But that might be very hard to get lots of eyes on your film.

I think to answer your question from my experience would be to try and get it up on Netflix Streaming and at the end of the movie show a web link that will drive your viewer traffic to your website where they can subscribe to see extra footage or something. That way you get the most views and you can still get some contact info for more updates.
    Distribber - Keep 100% of your film's revenue

Comment

Thanks for the advice, Nick. I don't want to sell the film. I want to make it available for free. So one option I was thinking was offering a link to the film from my website to anyone who signs up to my mailing list, but, as you said, that would hinder my goal of having as many people see it as possible, which is why I was curious if anyone else had a better strategy.

Putting the website/contact info at the end of the film is definitely a must. The film is 40 minutes long. I wonder how hard it would be to get onto Netflix Streaming.

Comment

I think your best bet would be to simply put your film on youtube or vimeo and put up a link to your website in the description box and at the end of your film.
        If someone likes it they might come to your website and sign up for the mailing list.

To get on Netflix you need an aggregator, like Distribber, and as far as I know unfortunately they don't accept short films.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob DeNatale View Post
          Thanks for the advice, Nick. I don't want to sell the film. I want to make it available for free. So one option I was thinking was offering a link to the film from my website to anyone who signs up to my mailing list, but, as you said, that would hinder my goal of having as many people see it as possible, which is why I was curious if anyone else had a better strategy.

Putting the website/contact info at the end of the film is definitely a must. The film is 40 minutes long. I wonder how hard it would be to get onto Netflix Streaming.
          Interesting, well I would just hosting it on a private link, then embed to a page on your website that people can access only if they register. Something like that?
          Distribber - Keep 100% of your film's revenue

Comment

It's tough because there is no real market for shortfilms. I agree, your best bet is Youtube with weblinks. Once uploaded on Youtube, Blast the link to friends and family on Facebook and make sure you put really good metadata tags on it so it can be found by the general public.
            Never a day's rest.

Comment

This might help...

http://www.shortoftheweek.com/2011/0...-beale-cipher/

Comment

Good luck in whatever you choose to do. I look forward to seeing the film.

Comment

You guys make the same mistake -- fortunately, the solution is easy.

You master cinematography, then you make a movie with a weak script.

SOLUTION: use a script from Hollywood's Golden Age. Most are public domain. Anything film noire would be a good start. How about "Double Indemity" ? It was a block buster hit. This Zombie-Blair Witch stuff is tiresome

Comment

Originally posted by D4Darious View Post
                    It's tough because there is no real market for shortfilms. I agree, your best bet is Youtube with weblinks. Once uploaded on Youtube, Blast the link to friends and family on Facebook and make sure you put really good metadata tags on it so it can be found by the general public.
                    I would concur. And don't forget about Vimeo. it is becoming a solid option, and they cater more to filmmakers than Youtube does. Both youtube and Vimeo give you monetization options, which allow you to run adds with your film and bring in some extra money with out charging your audience. now if you don't like that idea, let me ask you this:

Are you planning on making more films? how nice would it be to have a little bit of money come in from your film that you can put towards your next project?

And you still won't be charging your audience.

Either way you go you should be safe. Best of luck to you.

Comment

Working...
                    X