Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stereo Versus 5.1 Surround Sound Mix

Nick,

Is there any significant difference in the level of distribution between a stereo mix and a 5.1 Surround Sound Mix?

I'm going to be doing a final mix for my feature film and wanted to know if it was worth effort to put together a 5.1 mix. I'm not much of an audiophile so it's not something that I place a great deal of value.

If anyone else has opinions, I'd love hear them. I can create a 5.1 mix with Final Cut Pro but I doubt I would be able to take full advantage of the nuances without bringing in a sound professional.

Thanks.

Phil

Best Answer:

Originally posted by Nick Soares View Post
    Hey payperfilm

Here are the requirements for VOD/SVOD

For SD:
    • Audio: PCM Little Endian
    • Ch. 1 left, Ch. 2 right – Each audio channel needs to be its own track

For HD:
    • Audio: Must have 8 channels of audio
      • 5.1 – L, R, C, LFE, Ls, Rs / PCM Little Endian / Each audio channel needs to be its own track
      • Ch. 7 stereo left, Ch. 8 stereo right / PCM Little Endian / Each audio channel needs to be its own track

As far as licensing to territories, having 5.1 would generate a better return compared to stereo - It might be a few hundred per territory, it might be no difference, or it might be the difference between thousands of dollars

hope this helps!

*EDIT - It really depends on the territory

*UPDATE - I would suggest doing 5.1 - Sorry forgot to add that in there

Ill text him right now for you

Comment

If you can do 5.1 well, go for it. It can only help. If you can't, stereo is fine. I've never heard of a movie being passed on because it didn't have 5.1. A lot of the indie movies I watch are still in stereo. If it hits big, you can always remix.

Disney is up to 7.1 sound. It's insane.

Comment

If you can do 5.1 well, go for it. It can only help. If you can't, stereo is fine. I've never heard of a movie being passed on because it didn't have 5.1. A lot of the indie movies I watch are still in stereo. If it hits big, you can always remix.

Disney is up to 7.1 sound. It's insane.

Comment

Hey payperfilm

Here are the requirements for VOD/SVOD

For SD:
          • Audio: PCM Little Endian
          • Ch. 1 left, Ch. 2 right – Each audio channel needs to be its own track

For HD:
          • Audio: Must have 8 channels of audio
            • 5.1 – L, R, C, LFE, Ls, Rs / PCM Little Endian / Each audio channel needs to be its own track
            • Ch. 7 stereo left, Ch. 8 stereo right / PCM Little Endian / Each audio channel needs to be its own track

As far as licensing to territories, having 5.1 would generate a better return compared to stereo - It might be a few hundred per territory, it might be no difference, or it might be the difference between thousands of dollars

hope this helps!

*EDIT - It really depends on the territory

*UPDATE - I would suggest doing 5.1 - Sorry forgot to add that in there
          Distribber - Keep 100% of your film's revenue

Comment

Thanks, Nick!

Comment

Its funny, I was on this site just now then did a google search and ended up on this thread. LOL Great info, thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X