What can I do with my short film?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can I do with my short film?

What can I do with my short film? Once I have it made I do not think I want to do a youtube thing, I do not mind getting it out but there has got to be a way to make some of the money back that was put into it, right? Getting distribution for a short has seemed impossible and I do not know what to do. We will be filming it on the RED ONE and we have a great DP lined up. I just cannot imagine people are producing short films and knowingly thinking they will not do anything with it other then show the short film off. I know it can better your film reel and possibly get bigger deals, but it does not make economical sense to put money out and not try and get anything back.

Based on my understanding, I am pretty sure you are writing on a forum that is owned by a feature film distributor that also does short films. Look at the very bottom of this page, you will see "Recommended Links" VOD Distribution and a "copyright by DiGi Distribution" --- So maybe that is your answer. I will be going with DiGi for sure, especially since the new DVD department is up.

Comment

Ahhhh... OK! I get it Very cool, that makes me feel lots better... So that is Nick Soares's company then. For someone that is open and helps filmmakers in the public like he does that makes me feel alot more comfortable.

Nick, when you get a chance, where would I send my film in?

Comment

Hey Jimmy, well we have two offices to send your material.

To first be considered for Distribution you would need to submit online http://www.digidistribution.com/submission/

Once you have done that, you can send your materials to

ATTN: Chris Boss
        718 i Street
        Reedley Ca. 93654
        United States

If approved, and you want to consider DVD Distribution you will send to

ATTN: Jeff Berry
        100 Universal City Plaza, Bungalow 5183
        Universal City, CA 91506
        United States

If you send your film to Jeff Berry (DiGi Distribution's President) without approval, then your film will no longer be considered for distribution.
        Distribber - Keep 100% of your film's revenue

Comment

Jimmy, I share your sentiments about short films. Some people get really upset with me when I argue against shorts film. Not in their artistic merits but whether they make economic sense. If the Studios could make money off shorts, they would have done it already. However, I wouldn't dismiss YouTube either. People are making money off the short form there. Times are changing.

Still, I advise shooting a key scene from a feature film script or even a TV show pilot rather than a short. By the time you do a good short, you could put those same resources into a limited location feature and be halfway to completion.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Soares View Post
            Universal City, CA 91506
            United States
            Wow....... That is a Universal Studios address.....

Comment

Ok, well I have no issues now... Problem solved. Knowing Nick here and where he has taken his company I thank we all know what I should do :)

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Soares View Post
                Hey Jimmy, well we have two offices to send your material.

To first be considered for Distribution you would need to submit online http://www.digidistribution.com/submission/

Once you have done that, you can send your materials to

ATTN: Chris Boss
                718 i Street
                Reedley Ca. 93654
                United States

If approved, and you want to consider DVD Distribution you will send to

Universal City, CA 91506
                United States

If you send your film to Jeff Berry (DiGi Distribution's President) without approval, then your film will no longer be considered for distribution.
                Is this also how I can submit that documentary I mentioned?

Comment

Jimmy, nobody makes money with short films. Nobody. Really.

Ok, maybe somebody is going to post an example here contradicting that statement, but suffice it to say that it is exceedingly rare at the least.

There are many great reasons to make short films:
                  • Gain Experience
                  • Build a Reel
                  • Network with actors, crew, and other film makers
                  • Artistic Expression

Money should pretty much be the last thing on your mind when considering how to distribute your short. I'd say find out how to make it so that the largest number of people see it. YouTube is not a bad option for doing this because tons of people use YouTube. There are other options as well. But forget about making money or making back any of the money you spent. Seriously. Forget about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Vance Baryn View Post
                    Jimmy, nobody makes money with short films. Nobody. Really.

Ok, maybe somebody is going to post an example here contradicting that statement, but suffice it to say that it is exceedingly rare at the least.

There are many great reasons to make short films:
                    • Gain Experience
                    • Build a Reel
                    • Network with actors, crew, and other film makers
                    • Artistic Expression

Money should pretty much be the last thing on your mind when considering how to distribute your short. I'd say find out how to make it so that the largest number of people see it. YouTube is not a bad option for doing this because tons of people use YouTube. There are other options as well. But forget about making money or making back any of the money you spent. Seriously. Forget about it.
                    I completely agree. I did/do shorts to build my reel. I'm still relatively new to the workforce, so any chance I can get a short in here and there is great for diversity or building your style. I have a YouTube channel which I do make some cash from, and just recently has picked up a bit, but it's definitely not enough to say I made my money back.

On a side note, this info has made me consider taking on a feature length next, I REALLY want something to distribute, not sure I'm ready yet, but...

SOON.

;D

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Wiley View Post
                      Is this also how I can submit that documentary I mentioned?
                      Hey Patrick, can you let me know the title so I can see what the current status is, thanks!
                      Distribber - Keep 100% of your film's revenue

Comment

duplicate
                        Last edited by Patrick Wiley; 03-25-2013, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Searching for the 4th Nail.

It's got a website:

www.searchingforthe4thnail.com

You suggested Redbox when we last talked about it.

Side note, wasn't this threat about shorts distribution?

"Run Time
                          (in minutes, min: 50, max: 180)"
                          Last edited by Patrick Wiley; 03-25-2013, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X