Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shami Media, Inc (distribution)

Hi there fellow filmmakers!

Anyone familiar with Shami Media, Inc, a distribution company based out of NY?

I have not. how did you hear about them? Did they contact you, or did you research and find them yourself?
    Distribber - Keep 100% of your film's revenue

Comment

They came across my profile on a website and contacted us on our facebook page for the movie.

Comment

Did you follow up with Shami Media? What did you think? They contacted me as well and I don't get a good feeling from their very sham-y website...

Comment

I spoke with one gentleman a couple of times and he was very nice, however, I opted to continue looking...

Comment

Are they looking for scripts?
            L A Morgan
            Novels, Screenplays, Short Scripts, and Music
            http://lamorganwriter.com

Comment

Good question, but I'm not sure. When they reached out to us, it was regarding distribution for our completed film. If you google search the company, their website should come up where you can get their contact information to inquire about scripts.

Comment

Hi I signed with them since I had a film prepped and ready to go? having made 6 features and gotten really ROBBED blind on my first one! I think I know a thing to two? Try to keep some rights and only give either domestic or foreign for limited times, minimums they seek are 5-7. If you can keep electronic rights but many won't go for that. I did the 100% deal with Shami, and they are nice guys who did a great job packaging the film. Its horror but more of a docu-horror type film with a specific market. If you try to make deals yourself I can all but BET your film will be stolen by unscrupulous distributors that bundle it in packages and sell it with 100 others at the big film markets like AFM or Berlin etc. they find ways to add expenses on your tab so you never see a dime? I got 225- total from my first film that cost about $30,000 to make. It was everywhere on TV, pay per view, stores, streaming etc and the bastards looted me! Its a losing deal and I say after six films, if you can't afford it or you!re not blowing up like. Paranormal Activity etc, you're not going to make $$! I made a high quality feature with a connected industry guy and we will be lucky if we get $30,000 total after he sells it worldwide, that will cover our costs but no big profit. The market is fixed against indy films, and studios control all markets etc. hate to be a party pooper but there's the reality? a wealthy associate of mine spent 7 million on a quasi horror with name talent and it sat for 2 years with no one interested in it! He lost the money and is suing the director and co that made it. Fat chance right? he knows the Weinsteins! di capris, F if ty Cent and still could not break in the fixed market, so again unless you just love the art and have $$ to blow, get another career, or just work as crew on films, at least there's a paycheck! Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Bongokillerclown View Post
                  a wealthy associate of mine spent 7 million on a quasi horror with name talent and it sat for 2 years with no one interested in it! He lost the money and is suing the director and co that made it. Fat chance right? he knows the Weinsteins! di capris, F if ty Cent and still could not break in the fixed market, so again unless you just love the art and have $$ to blow, get another career, or just work as crew on films, at least there's a paycheck! Best of luck.
                  I would love to hear more about this case.

Why is he suing the director and the company?

Was the movie just not marketable enough, or were the names not big enough?

$7M should be more than enough to afford A-list talent, someone who can get your film sold. In fact at that budget range you should be able to afford big enough names to be able to finance the production with pre-sales.

Sure, it is hard getting distribution these days. But if you have the right cast in the right project and it's in the right budget range, you can and will sell your movie.

It doesn't matter who you are or who you know, if you have the right names in your movie, you will sell it.

Of course the hard part is to get to that position where you can attach these names to your project, that might require you to know someone, or have the money in hand.

Comment

he was lead to believe it was marketable but the talent was c-level at best. one actor got $50,000- for a one day appearance. that actors presence was worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by Bongokillerclown View Post
                      Hi I signed with them since I had a film prepped and ready to go? having made 6 features and gotten really ROBBED blind on my first one! I think I know a thing to two? Try to keep some rights and only give either domestic or foreign for limited times, minimums they seek are 5-7. If you can keep electronic rights but many won't go for that. I did the 100% deal with Shami, and they are nice guys who did a great job packaging the film. Its horror but more of a docu-horror type film with a specific market. If you try to make deals yourself I can all but BET your film will be stolen by unscrupulous distributors that bundle it in packages and sell it with 100 others at the big film markets like AFM or Berlin etc. they find ways to add expenses on your tab so you never see a dime? I got 225- total from my first film that cost about $30,000 to make. It was everywhere on TV, pay per view, stores, streaming etc and the bastards looted me! Its a losing deal and I say after six films, if you can't afford it or you!re not blowing up like. Paranormal Activity etc, you're not going to make $$! I made a high quality feature with a connected industry guy and we will be lucky if we get $30,000 total after he sells it worldwide, that will cover our costs but no big profit. The market is fixed against indy films, and studios control all markets etc. hate to be a party pooper but there's the reality? a wealthy associate of mine spent 7 million on a quasi horror with name talent and it sat for 2 years with no one interested in it! He lost the money and is suing the director and co that made it. Fat chance right? he knows the Weinsteins! di capris, F if ty Cent and still could not break in the fixed market, so again unless you just love the art and have $$ to blow, get another career, or just work as crew on films, at least there's a paycheck! Best of luck.
                      I think there is something to learn from the bad experience, and it shouldn't be shrugged off as a small matter. However, I don't think that telling people to look for another career is a solid suggestion. I originally was planning on getting into the film industry then got discouraged by what my cousin ran into working in the industry. it made me decide to go and get a regular job. But, I was never happy. I made film my expensive hobby, and spent a tone of time writing screenplays, studying film history, composition, composing editing, and VFX. In the end I came back to it because I love it, and I have stories to tell.

yeah, there are a lot of crappy business practices out there. But, it's all about who you know. just because you have a lot of money and want to make a film in Hollywood doesn't mean that you are instantly going to be successful. Get to know the right people and ask around. if you meet somebody who wants your film, look into them. check their track record. see what movies they have put out. If you haven't heard of any of them, then good chance people wont hear about yours.

at the same time, if you are wanting the experience and want to get enough money to at least cover the cost of your film, then you may be able to do just that. You sign a deal with a distributor and that is business. with every business transaction you need to take very careful consideration to what you are agreeing to. Don't get so excited that you just sign away your project before thinking through the steps.

Best of luck to you.

Comment

I've worked for film companies and yes there are tech and cre jobs aplenty. Being a breakout or money making filmmaker is another issue. Can you name any rising star newbies that have written the best screenplay or broken into the big festivals like Sundance? NOT MANY! Unless you are one in a million or connected by birth etc to the elite your chances are small, but TV may be an opportunity. I stand by my observations. Don't quit your day job for it.

Comment

I have one of my features distributed by them Psychopath Mania. The thing is they are investing in mastering, artwork, promotions (about $5000-) and they have good contacts. They actually have a lot of films in their roster I dont know what that website is so minimal? There are not much better bets out there unless you win major festival accolades. Most indy films wind up on internet sites or scams. That is the lowest rung of distribution. Its expensive to sell promote and distribute. I've been on national,international cable channels, all major stores the first 20 pages of google and have not seen much $$. If its your first film Id suggest just get it out there for the sake of having recognition at being distributed. Distributors take your film and bundle it with like 30 others and sell it at the film markets, Cannes, Berlin etc. Unless you have A list talent dont count on making $$! Stallone said he never made a DIME on the first Rocky! But he did establish himself. Good luck, and watch out for a distributor based out of Arizona I won't name,they are huge and I finally contacted the state attorney general on them for lack of contract obligations being met! They keep changing names but they are the lARGEST in the world they say. Best of luck

Comment

I also heard from Shami and he sent me a contract to distribute my 2 hour documentary. I replied to him with a copy and paste of what Bongokillerclown posted. Here is how Shami responded:

"we distributed over 4,000 hours of content , some make money some don’t , thats the nature of any business we dealing with indie films despite the fact some of the are $1,000 or $100,000 films we treat them the same , we not control people to watch someone film .. no … we put them everywhere but it don't mean the film will make money , again we only deal with indie films some have great quality and some don't , some don't even have the deliverables which it blocks us from placing them on all type of platforms , but we don't stop we keep going and we push hard its not easy , many of our films on many platforms but some don't make money !! why ? i guess the viewers don't find them interesting enough !!!
                            films become cheaper and cheaper to make so there is ton of indie films out there and i try to help everyone that come to us or we come across , i have film makers who made very good money every year and some made non and some made a little but thats is the nature of the indie films and we know it so when a film maker don't make money we also lose money , but it is part of what we do jeff , sure some film makers might be upset or angry but they cant be angry at us at all , this is a learning curve for them so they get better in making films and continue going forward. , you my number call me lets talk its much easier , I look forward for your call back."

It seems like a totally legitmate response. Although, you always, always hear the stories of big blockbuster movies in which people w the back-end points made little to no money due to all kinds of trumped up expenses so that even hugh movies - well the people w back end points make little to nothing. Of course people like Tom Cruse, Mel Gebson etc - I am sure are mega millionaires.

I will not sign with Shami because I would rather control my own fate then rely on someone else and it's a big problem not being able to know or verify what legit expenses were incurred. I am a novice so I am not sure if there is some way to know that but to me - it's too much of a risk.

Comment

I know Shami Media

Having ngone tru all that you guys said here, I would gladly contribute what i know about Shami Media. The reply posted here from them tells it all, I av had the priviledge to work with them earlier, they distributed my first and only feature film so far and like someone mentioned above, they are good at packaging, I give it to them coz the complementary DVD copies they sent to me proved that they do what they say, just like they clearly outlined in the reply posted here; 'some movies do well while some do bad' and they don't force people and can't force people to watch. My movie didn't do that well but frankly speaking, Bob Shami motivated me and so far I have produced 3 new short films which they are going to handle and I am sure that with what I learned from the start to what I also know now that the movies if not all but at least the most current would do very well. I would recommend Shami Media to anyone because they are transparent and above all, they give your movie the needed exposure. Someone called me from Germany simply to let me know that he bought my movie from Barnes and Noble; (thanks to Shami Media)

My advice to indie producer dealing with any distributor and not just Shami Media is to get to work once they release your movie, promote it yourself too, talk to friends and family members and have them talk to their own friends...let's say that you have 1000 friends on Facebook and 500 followers on Instagram, talk to them about your movie and where they can stream it, let them also talk to their own friends and their friends talk to their friends, this is called CHAIN OF LOVE. Once this chain is activated, bet me, you will record tremendous streaming or download or DVD sales added to the people SHAMI MEDIA will also talk to. Just don't sit, get to walk coz Shami Media is your doorstep and finally, there are lots of nice film festivals out there, enter your movie in film festivals and see your hustle turn greasy.

I am an Independent producer and has the same problem most of us has but thanks to Bob Shami and his group, my problem is now meminal if not solved.

Comment

Working...
                              X