Distributions questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distributions questions

Hi, i am new to distribution and hoping to know more.

So far, i understand that there are two types of distribution; the self distribution and the main distribution. The self distribution is where you find websites like digi, distribber to help, then the main distribution is where companies will help you with distribution.

I am wondering, can you do both? And what's the other major differences between self distribution and the main distribution?

Thanks

I just saw this right before im heading for bed, let me get back to you tomorrow on my opinion, but maybe someone else can help before then. ttly
    Distribber - Keep 100% of your film's revenue

Comment

Originally posted by iikii View Post
      Hi, i am new to distribution and hoping to know more.

So far, i understand that there are two types of distribution; the self distribution and the main distribution. The self distribution is where you find websites like digi, distribber to help, then the main distribution is where companies will help you with distribution.

I am wondering, can you do both? And what's the other major differences between self distribution and the main distribution?

Thanks
      Traditional distribution model is where you sell the rights to distribute your film to a distributor working in a certain region.
      It usually covers, Theatrical, DVD, Blu-Ray, Video-On-Demand, Television and everything else including hotels, schools, libraries etc.

For example a distributor buys the rights for Germany, all rights, exclusive, on all platforms for 7 years for $XX,XXX.

That is the most common model I'd say, but the deal can be anything you negotiate it to be.

When you are selling to overseas distributors, it is often wisest and easiest to sell all rights.

For domestic rights it is not uncommon to sell one distributor Theatrical another DVD and Blu-Ray and another distributor VOD rights.
      In some cases if you are working with lower level distributors some filmmakers have even managed to negotiate themselves the right to continue self distribution on some level, meaning selling dvd's from the filmmaker's website, but usually the distributors want exclusive rights.

Remember, everything can be negotiated, there are no rules set in stone.

Comment

Main Difference is

Self Distribution - You do all the work including, sending people to rent/buy the film, artwork, etc...

Other Distribution - Normally they sign you, pay for all the costs, create artwork, create press releases, etc... They also take a percentage, but many times its worth it (if company is legit) because they want to make money on there % - Just watch out for the "Net" contract.

Comment

I see, thanks! i understand it alot more now.

I heard that you should start distribution earlier on, before the film is finished. Can i know why is it? Shouldn't we start marketing it first(finding your audiences) instead of finding distribution since that distribution can only take place when your film is done?

Comment

Well finding distribution before you even find money for a film is the ideal goal, but it is very hard to come by if you are a new filmmaker, once you have established you can create a product that can sell then its easier to sign a deal for distribution before hand. Think like baseball of football players getting signed to a team, the scouts are looking for people to perform and win, its the same with distribution companies, they want "wins" :first:

Comment

Working...
            X