Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distribber/ ProRes 422 HQ / Deliverables / Sony Vegas

Hi Everyone,

I am ready to shoot my third feature next month on the Canon 7D and have come realize that I will need a major computer upgrade to edit it.

I am considering going the Sony Vegas/ PC route rather than continuing the Mac/ Final Cut route due to cost and that my partner has Vegas currently.

My big concern is that Distribber notes on their FAQ page that they require a deliverable format of ProRes 422 HQ which Vegas does not output.

Is it a simple matter to convert Mpeg 4 or Mov to pro res 422 hq? Or will going PC create problems in creating proper deliverables down the line?

Thanks, Phil

Well if cost's are the reason, then there is not much else to do? If you have to go with PC/Vegas, then thats what you have to do. I Personally would hold out and wait if I were you, but I dont know you particular situation.

I wish I knew more about the tech side of "coding" (There has got to be a way to convert to Apple Pro Res on a PC somehow right? This is the third time ive come across this.

If anyone out there is interested, Ill do some research tonight and create a whole new thread on it.
    Distribber - Keep 100% of your film's revenue

Comment

Hi Nick,

Cost is a factor but not a deal breaker. In fact, I tend to want to stay with Final Cut as I am familiar with it.

It would be great if you could do some research. My own research on the Internet has not yielded anything solid although I know there are programs that convert mov to prores 422 hq. But as with any conversion, there can be problems.

Thanks! Phil

Comment

Ok I will
        Distribber - Keep 100% of your film's revenue

Comment

Interesting that you posted this today, as I just did exactly this yesterday. As an experiment, I downloaded some mpeg4 clips from the Internet, then converted them to ProRes 422. They looked good.

I used Apple Compressor to do the conversion, which is bundled with Final Cut Studio.
          2001 Productions Web Site

Comment

Thanks 2001!

I may go the Hackintosh route and get the best of both worlds. Anyone else doing that?

Comment

Did you find a solution to this? I also use a PC and here is something interesting that may be a workaround. Windows Video Editor To ProRes 422

Comment

...and this may be an option to try. 5DtoRGB by Rarevision

Comment

A quad processor with 32 gigs of ram and a good video card will do the job

Comment

I upgraded to a Macbook Pro and am going with Final Cut Pro 7 because I didn't really want to learn another editing system not that I am particularly proficient with FCP.

Comment

Working...
                    X