Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Score Instrumentation List

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Score Instrumentation List

    Hello! Fellow Composers

    My name is Elizabeth Ortiz. I'm brand new to the career/hobby as a Film Composer/Arranger. I want to start doing my profolio and have samples ready when I apply for jobs. But I need advice/suggestion on how to go about it. I also own a copy of GargeBand and trying to save some $$$ to purchase Logic Studio 9 soon too. Music has been my whole entire life and working on getting my degree in Music too. I want to write scores for classical, jazz, romantic, and etc.

    Thank You

    Elizabeth (Liza) Ortiz
    Elizabeth Ortiz

  • #2
    Hi Elizabeth, and welcome to the forum. Music is such a huge part of film making and, for me, can be the difference between what makes a good film, or a great film.

    I have been a musician and composer for over 30 years but now devote all my spare time to making movies, so we need more composers that focus their energies on that direction.

    Please post some of your samples so we can hear what you're doing :)~

    Comment


    • #3
      Hi Elizabeth,

      As a fellow composer for media, I know of the importance of good samples in my work. Especially if you're working on a low budget film or project, where the director or producer is relying on your knowledge of music technology to deliver a good quality soundtrack, until you have a adequate recording budget to bring in real musicians.

      I also agree with Director, music can make or break a film and having the right software is definitely a step in the right direction.

      The first thing you need is a good digital audio workstation (DAW), I personally use Logic Pro but there are many others like Cubase, FL Studio, Ableton Live, Pro Tools etc.
      You get many people arguing over which is best, it basically boils down to what you're comfortable using. The better you are at using it the quicker your workflow will be.

      On a side note, it may be worth your while reading a few books on mixing and mastering, as you'll be doing a lot of that...

      In terms of samples, there are so many companies competing in this market it's hard to know what's good and what isn't, it also comes down to your budget... They're not cheap! A good starting point is East West's Complete Composers Collection, this is where I started. It has everything a composer needs to start out their career (Symphonic Orchestra, Choir, Pianos, Percussion, Ethnic Sounds etc), and you slowly build your sample collection up over time, adding new libraries when you need them.
      You will also need a good computer with lots of RAM to run the software, as they can be very CPU intensive, otherwise it'll be a very stressful experience for you. So check the developers computer requirements before purchasing.

      Other than that, best of luck!

      Regards,

      Mitchell.
      www.mitchell-gibbs.com
      Composer|Orchestrator|Arranger

      Comment


      • #4
        Here is a really good library to start with...Vienna Symphonic Library Special Edition Volume 1: Essential Orchestra

        http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VSE1/

        you are going to need a good synth plug-in also. Spectrasonics Omnisphere

        http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Omnisphere

        or this:

        http://hybridtwo.com/site/?p=35



        Best advise I can give you...study study study. And Check out Daniel James's YouTube Channel.

        http://www.youtube.com/user/dazexus

        He gives overviews of lots of samples and libraries and gives up great production tips. Watch all of them! Warning they are long.

        Garageband ain't going to do it for you.

        Good Luck!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Mitchell Gibbs View Post
          Hi Elizabeth,

          As a fellow composer for media, I know of the importance of good samples in my work. Especially if you're working on a low budget film or project, where the director or producer is relying on your knowledge of music technology to deliver a good quality soundtrack, until you have a adequate recording budget to bring in real musicians.

          I also agree with Director, music can make or break a film and having the right software is definitely a step in the right direction.

          The first thing you need is a good digital audio workstation (DAW), I personally use Logic Pro but there are many others like Cubase, FL Studio, Ableton Live, Pro Tools etc.
          You get many people arguing over which is best, it basically boils down to what you're comfortable using. The better you are at using it the quicker your workflow will be.

          On a side note, it may be worth your while reading a few books on mixing and mastering, as you'll be doing a lot of that...

          In terms of samples, there are so many companies competing in this market it's hard to know what's good and what isn't, it also comes down to your budget... They're not cheap! A good starting point is East West's Complete Composers Collection, this is where I started. It has everything a composer needs to start out their career (Symphonic Orchestra, Choir, Pianos, Percussion, Ethnic Sounds etc), and you slowly build your sample collection up over time, adding new libraries when you need them.
          You will also need a good computer with lots of RAM to run the software, as they can be very CPU intensive, otherwise it'll be a very stressful experience for you. So check the developers computer requirements before purchasing.

          Other than that, best of luck!

          Regards,

          Mitchell.
          www.mitchell-gibbs.com
          Composer|Orchestrator|Arranger
          I currently have a HP Pavilion Entertainment Laptop but next week. I will be purchasing a Apple MacBook Pro Laptop it will be either the old version 13" $1199 or the 13" with Retina Display. I'm also hoping to purchase the Logic Pro & Pro Tools; since I'm trying to get my certificate in MIDI:Composition from a local Junior College and they currently use Pro Tools.
          Elizabeth Ortiz

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by eortiz98 View Post
            I currently have a HP Pavilion Entertainment Laptop but next week. I will be purchasing a Apple MacBook Pro Laptop it will be either the old version 13" $1199 or the 13" with Retina Display. I'm also hoping to purchase the Logic Pro & Pro Tools; since I'm trying to get my certificate in MIDI:Composition from a local Junior College and they currently use Pro Tools.
            Hi Elizabeth,

            An Apple Macbook Pro is a good start, however, I don't think you need both Logic Pro and Pro Tools, one will do. If you're using Pro Tools on your course get that, they both do MIDI and audio. It also saves you some money to buy samples instead.

            If your local Junior College does a course in mixing either MIDI or audio I'd attend that, too.

            A basic sample bundle is East West's Symphonic Orchestra, you may of heard of it, it's won lots of awards. It contains your basic articulations across each section of the orchestra strings, woodwinds, brass and percussion. I'd recommend either the gold edition or the platinum edition, depending on your budget.

            http://www.soundsonline.com/Symphonic-Orchestra

            Best,

            Mitchell.
            www.mitchell-gibbs.com
            Composer|Orchestrator|Arranger

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Mitchell Gibbs View Post
              Hi Elizabeth,

              An Apple Macbook Pro is a good start, however, I don't think you need both Logic Pro and Pro Tools, one will do. If you're using Pro Tools on your course get that, they both do MIDI and audio. It also saves you some money to buy samples instead.

              If your local Junior College does a course in mixing either MIDI or audio I'd attend that, too.

              A basic sample bundle is East West's Symphonic Orchestra, you may of heard of it, it's won lots of awards. It contains your basic articulations across each section of the orchestra strings, woodwinds, brass and percussion. I'd recommend either the gold edition or the platinum edition, depending on your budget.

              http://www.soundsonline.com/Symphonic-Orchestra

              Best,

              Mitchell.
              www.mitchell-gibbs.com
              Composer|Orchestrator|Arranger
              My local Junior College offer a certificate in MIDI:Composition that consists of 13 units. I think I will most likely end up purchasing Pro Tools instead since I will also be getting certificated in there software too. Also I been arranging/composing for Percussion as in Battery & Front Ensemble since Summer of 2004 to present. I have a very tight budget due to two different reason: one, being a college student is heard and secondly, I only work part-time as a Substitute Instructional Assistant for special needs kids. I been thinking about making a film about kids with special needs and music in there life. But I have no ideal how to start the process of it. Any help would be appreciated.

              Thanks
              Elizabeth Ortiz

              Comment


              • #8
                Hey Elizabeth,
                I'm in San Bernardino, and I'm close to needing a score for my feature film. Let me know if interested in practicing on my film.

                Phil

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by eortiz98 View Post
                  My local Junior College offer a certificate in MIDI:Composition that consists of 13 units. I think I will most likely end up purchasing Pro Tools instead since I will also be getting certificated in there software too. Also I been arranging/composing for Percussion as in Battery & Front Ensemble since Summer of 2004 to present. I have a very tight budget due to two different reason: one, being a college student is heard and secondly, I only work part-time as a Substitute Instructional Assistant for special needs kids. I been thinking about making a film about kids with special needs and music in there life. But I have no ideal how to start the process of it. Any help would be appreciated.

                  Thanks
                  Hi Elizabeth,

                  I would definitely take up the MIDI: Composition course offered by your college, as you'll be using MIDI extensively in your compositions. Even if you're using live players, as the director/producer normally likes to hear a 'mock-up' first.
                  In terms of your DAW, it looks like Pro Tools is the one for you, seeing as you'll be a certified user very soon. The problem that arises using multiple software applications is you normally end up favouring one or the other, and when you do use the other it's another learning curve which kills your creativity and workflow.

                  If you're a student most sample library companies offer a educational discount (prices vary between products and companies), so that's something to look into.

                  Regarding your special needs film, I'm sure if you post your idea in one of the sub forums here you could probably get a team together, as it's for a good cause. Or, you could hit up your college's media department for volunteers.

                  It even seems like payperfilm has your first gig.

                  Best of luck!

                  Mitchell.
                  www.mitchell-gibbs.com
                  Composer|Orchestrator|Arranger

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by payperfilm View Post
                    Hey Elizabeth,
                    I'm in San Bernardino, and I'm close to needing a score for my feature film. Let me know if interested in practicing on my film.

                    Phil
                    Hello! payperfilm

                    I would be real interested in the project. I never had a project since i'm barely starting out. I trying to make some $$$ to go ahead and purchase some software like Pro Tools and etc. Feel free to email at eortiz98[at]live.com Subj: Film Forum.

                    Thanks
                    Elizabeth Ortiz

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Hey Elizabeth,

                      If you are into studying online, Check out this free class...

                      https://www.coursera.org/course/musicproduction

                      I took it. It's real good. it will give you a leg up on your other classes before starting college. And did I mention it's Free!

                      Good luck.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Jimbo 88 View Post
                        Hey Elizabeth,

                        If you are into studying online, Check out this free class...

                        https://www.coursera.org/course/musicproduction

                        I took it. It's real good. it will give you a leg up on your other classes before starting college. And did I mention it's Free!

                        Good luck.
                        Hi! Jimbo 88

                        I definitely looking into taking some classes from there. I have decided to go ahead and purchase Pro Tools once I can afford it. Especially, since I will be using that in my Certificate program in MIDI: Composition at my local Junior College.
                        Elizabeth Ortiz

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X