Lilly - Short Animated Film Trailer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lilly - Short Animated Film Trailer

Hello, my name is Darko Subotin, I am an animation and VFX student from Serbia, and I am currently working on a short animated film, that could possibly be an episodic series if recieved well. I have done a trailer for it, you can check it out here:

A little about the project:

It is an animation completely rendered in a real-time game software called Cryengine. It is an experiment in how feasable and practical it is to make an animation in a real-time engine and also how it changes the approach to creating animation and visual storytelling. I have virtual sets that you can walk around, put characters lights cameras in them, and then just shoot and edit.

You can check out some additional content and screenshots of the environments on my Facebook page for the movie here :

www.facebook.com/ShortFilmLilly

and also video of environments i created here :

Synopsis:

A man revisits his traumatic event from his childhood by going to his former home. We find out that in the center of everything is a woman, his aunt, Lilly.

I really like the look of this, if the video game level of animation is the goal. I believe the world looks realistic enough as far as what it contains. The scenes look populated with enough elements that we find in real places. They look complete. The color pallet is also attractive.

We would need to see more performances of the characters though to know if it works. We see 4 seconds of the characters speaking and performing at :43 into the video, but that is all. The rest is shots where the characters are not performing, interacting with dialogue.

The camera angles also look effective. I think it is a cool project and has potential, but I would need to see more interaction of the characters performing to see how that would look through an episode.

Steve

Comment

Typical of game animation engines, the movements of the characters is far behind traditional animation. Its just not smooth and doesn't follow natural paths. At :26 in the trailer when the man rubs the kid's head, its just so unrealistic its almost unwatchable. And again at :44 the mans turn and arm movements just look bad. Also since its not a camera making this, everything is fake so the simulated depth of field just doesn't look right and is far from being as good as DOF attained by proper lenses. I think game engines have years to go before they get good enough to be satisfying for films.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Olander View Post
        I really like the look of this, if the video game level of animation is the goal. I believe the world looks realistic enough as far as what it contains. The scenes look populated with enough elements that we find in real places. They look complete. The color pallet is also attractive.

We would need to see more performances of the characters though to know if it works. We see 4 seconds of the characters speaking and performing at :43 into the video, but that is all. The rest is shots where the characters are not performing, interacting with dialogue.

The camera angles also look effective. I think it is a cool project and has potential, but I would need to see more interaction of the characters performing to see how that would look through an episode.

Steve
        Thanks for the comments. Yes, I was aiming for it to be stylistically unified, so that nothing jumps out, I was not going for absolute realism. but rather that the characters look appealing and that everything looks like it belongs into that world. Also tried to enrich the virtual sets as much as possible.

As for the lack of dialog in the trailer, the movie in general won't be having to much dialog as I think movies and animated movies should first try to convey the story and the emotion of characters through their actions and through the development of the plot, and then where there is need for dialog, because a part of the story or emotion cannot be conveyed by other means, then dialog should be used. So I try to keep it to a minimum, but I believe that characters will be conveyed without to much use of dialog.

In my opinion characters are not only performing when they are speaking, but all time while they are on the screen, so in that sense my characters do perform in the shots, just in the trailer it is out of context, as the trailer is only here to incite interest in the viewer. Now, whether I can animate them to the standards of good acting is another issue, at which I am trying to do my best.

Thanks again for the comments and the feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Scarborough View Post
          Typical of game animation engines, the movements of the characters is far behind traditional animation. Its just not smooth and doesn't follow natural paths. At :26 in the trailer when the man rubs the kid's head, its just so unrealistic its almost unwatchable. And again at :44 the mans turn and arm movements just look bad. Also since its not a camera making this, everything is fake so the simulated depth of field just doesn't look right and is far from being as good as DOF attained by proper lenses. I think game engines have years to go before they get good enough to be satisfying for films.
          Thanks for the Feedback. It is important for me to see how people who are completely out of the animation industry look at this, as they can give me a completely unbiased feedback.

As for the "typical look of game engines", they do have a typical look and I was not trying to get away from that, but rather make that look my style, but what I am talking about here is the visual fidelity of it. What you are referring to is the smoothness and the quality of the animation(movements and performance) which has nothing to do with the engine itself, but rather with my skills as an animator, which leave a lot to be desired ofc. and I am aware of that.

And in that regards I am constantly trying to improve myself and learn and practice animation. I just hope that the movies atmosphere, story and general feel will pull in the viewer so that the movie won't be "unwatchable" because of my shortcomings as an animator, but of course I am aware that it is not perfect and that it does pull the viewer out of the story, to some extent, so if someone cannot watch it because of it, I would not blame them, but right now I am simply limited in my skills.

As for the camera, in animation you are never speaking about a "real" camera, as everything in animation is fake 100% of the time. But ignoring that, the technical abilities of the game engine to reproduce the look of real lenses is lacking, that is true, and it is really just a very rough approximation. Unfortunately I could not do anything about that, as I lack the programming expertise to improve upon that side of the engine. I am merely a content creator, and a story teller. I mean when you look at any animated movie, the characters are cartoonish, they are not "real", and so in that sense this is the same, and in my opinion as far as the lack of "real" DOF does not take you away from following the story, I don't mind it being "unrealistic", but again if someone is from the movie industry, I could understand say a cinematographer to be so annoyed by that that they could not watch it and I am fine with that.

After all, this is my first big serious project, and I am trying to push myself to my absolute limits.

Thank you for the feedback again.

Cheers.

Comment

I do agree with you on the limited dialogue idea. I've used that same method if a few of my short films, and it has worked very well for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Darko Subotin View Post
              As for the camera, in animation you are never speaking about a "real" camera, as everything in animation is fake 100% of the time.
              This is completely untrue. Stop motion animation, Claymation and go motion animation utilizes real cameras.

Comment

Wow, this is a really interesting idea. I definitely think it's an interesting format and I do like the style. Please post when you have an update on this because I would be interested in seeing how you put a film together with this technology.
                -AF

sigpic

Comment

wow, this so cool af men, however the arts looks like a residen evil, but this nice bro, keep forward, the movie seems interested, ill waiting for tv series or the movie, hope the movie will done asap,

Comment

Working...
                  X