An Early Christmas For Me!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Early Christmas For Me!

I just gotta share this with you guys, cause I feel like I'm Five again and it's Christmas morning (for a photo/video nerd anyways)...

This past Wednesday I drove my Mom into the city for an eye appointment and we decided to stay overnight at my Aunties place. My Aunt is in the middle of moving to a new house right now, so her house had boxes stacked in all corners, because she just had too much stuff. Too much for her new place, so she saw an opportunity to lighten her load and give us some cool stuff, like a Christmas tree an acoustic guitar, a garden fountain and a bunch of stuff.

As I was loading the van and getting ready to leave, she comes out of her guest room with this big blue tote container and three canvas bags on top of it. She says she isn't going to use this stuff anymore and it would be a waste for her to just put them back in storage. I was excited, it looked important, so I ask what it is... She says it's all of her photography equipment!!!!!!

Now, before anyone wets themselves... No, there wasn't a RED Epic in any of the bags (That would have caused me a heart attack, I'm sure).

It's all slightly older equipment, and included two 35mm film SLRs and a Konica Minolta Dynax Maxxum 7D Digital SLR (2004), which despite it's lower megapixel count, takes amazing photos. This was mega exciting. I still plan on getting a Canon D5 at some point, but now I've actually got a very high end DSLR to start doing still photography again and practice my mad visual story telling skills with.

Anyways, about two hours of playing with the DSLR passed, and I decide to finally open the big blue tote... Treasure! All treasure! Inside was a bag full of 55mm lens filters, lens cleaning accessories, small tripods, a light metre and small army of LENSES!!!!! There are 8 lenses in total, ranging from 17mm to 500mm in a variety of flavors including a 70 - 200mm f2.5! (A lens that I knew would take a long time to afford).

Now for the best part... as I said above, I am hoping to get a Canon D5 for video as soon as possible, and I just checked online and there is an adapter to fit Minolta AF lenses to the Canon EF mount! It would have taken me years to acquire this many lenses and now I've got them, as a gift! It's like the heavens have opened up and the angels are singing... "This is your path! Go forth!"

BEST AUNT EVER!

That's so cool. Enjoy it.

What was your Aunt doing with all this stuff? If she's the one who used all of this. Be sure to pick her brain on what's good for what.

The best my family ever had was a polariod. But, I will say my brother could have easily been a professional photographer. His eye is magnificent. Yet, his videos suck. Go figure.

Comment

Merry Christmas, SC! What a windfall!
      L A Morgan
      Novels, Screenplays, Short Scripts, and Music
      http://lamorganwriter.com

Comment

Originally posted by UniqueAmI View Post
        That's so cool. Enjoy it.

What was your Aunt doing with all this stuff? If she's the one who used all of this. Be sure to pick her brain on what's good for what.

The best my family ever had was a polariod. But, I will say my brother could have easily been a professional photographer. His eye is magnificent. Yet, his videos suck. Go figure.
        She was working at either McBain Photo or Black's for nearly a decade and had a really great discount so she dabbled in photography for a bit, but I don't think she ever really got into it and she wasn't really a photographer; which is astounding considering the plethora of equipment she bought. I'm still going through this stuff and she's got everything a pro needs.

While we were visiting, before I even got this stuff, I was picking her brain, going on about the Canon D5 and my filmmaking adventures, asking her what she thought of it and stuff. She seems to know a lot about the equipment, but didn't seem to really understand photography... which is too bad considering the money she must have spent. But, she's since become an energy healer and her interests are very much vested in that... which is honestly a great fit for her.

There are three rolls of Kodak Black and White film in here too, and because I am a firm believer in never missing an opportunity, I'm going to work on my actual film skills too using the 35mm SLRs. Even though I realize that Digital is my medium of choice, I don't think it would hurt to add the ability to work with good old film to my resume.

LA, Thanks!

It is a real windfall and something I've never really ever had. I'm in no one's Will and I've never been lucky enough to have any kind of windfall period... I don't even know how to thank her to be honest... I gave her the biggest hug and was nearly speachless when she handed it to me... If/When I get an award for photography/filmmaking, I know I will be mentioning her in my speech! LOL

Comment

Oh Auntie Em, Auntie Em, there's no place like home! That is truly wonderful and freakin' cool of your aunt to do that for you. Make sure to give back in love to her a hundred fold :)
          I write. Therefore I am.

Comment

One word- wow!
            -AF

sigpic

Comment

lucky! Does your aunt have a sister with more equipment? :P

Comment

So, I thought I'd share some of my latest work with you guys.

I've been out doing a lot of shooting and getting more familiar with these lenses, and these are my favorites so far. They've all been color corrected from RAW images.

Click image for larger version

Name:	_PICT0021.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	60133Click image for larger version

Name:	_PICT0087.jpg
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	60134Click image for larger version

Name:	_PICT0147.jpg
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	60135Click image for larger version

Name:	_PICT0003.jpg
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	60136

Comment

Nice! You should post some more on the photography thread.
                  -AF

sigpic

Comment

Beautiful work, especially the doggie.

Comment

Originally posted by UniqueAmI View Post
                      Beautiful work, especially the doggie.
                      That's my loveable but bratty mutt, Light.

Comment

Hey do you have any picture of this stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
                          Hey do you have any picture of this stuff?
                          It's rather ironic that I am using my crappiest camera to take pictures of all this gear... :P

As you can see, the lens on my smart phone is all scratched up so its hard to see much detail.

This is all the equipment laid out on my work table - As you can see, there are two 35mm film cameras, a fixed lens digital camera, many lenses, wireless flash guns, multiple lens filters, flash and shutter remotes, four batteries, tiny, little and big tripods, manuals and memory cards (CF):

This is the Konica Minolta Dynax Maxxum 7D loaded with a 17 - 35 mm 1 : 2.8 - 4 lens. I frickin love this lens as much as the next one. I've never had the opportunity to work with such wide angle shots before. Absolutely amazing for landscapes.

This Lens is honestly my go-to lens. It's a 70 - 210 mm 1:2.8 --- I am most excited to use this one for cinema when the time comes:

This Lens is good, but not great. It's a 170 - 500 mm for really zoomed shots, but it is also really slow at only 1:5 - 6.3

Since getting this over a week ago, I've been out there like crazy taking still photos. I've also been practising framing and composition with future video use in mind.

Comment

Lucky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                            -AF

sigpic

Comment

Mano Man! That is some early Christmas present alright!

Comment

Working...
                              X