PDA

View Full Version : Question about editing around a jump cut.

ironpony
07-09-2017, 08:54 AM
I shot some scenes for a short film and one of the scenes had to be changed drastically from the storyboards cause of a location change, and I had to come up with new shots on the fly, without a storyboard that was already planned out. I screwed up cause in the end, there is a missing shot in the scene, and I would have to jump ahead in the edit.

Either that, or I cut the scene entirely, but not sure if the plot will make sense if I do. Basically in the story, an IRS auditor type of character is going down to place to audit to see who is 'cooking the books', so to speak.

When she gets there, she meets the CEO of the company who says he will show her where the records are. The scene that follows after, which is the one I screwed up on, is where he realizes the gig is up, and he is hoping that she will overlook it, hoping she won't bother to go through everything, or if he does, he will try to bribe her to go along with it, should she find something.

Now the scene that follows after that, is he sees that she found something and he goes to bribe her. However, I asked a person so far, and he said that the scene where he realizes the gig is up is necessary, and I can't cut it out. But I was wondering maybe if the audience will be able to read between the lines without having to be shown that he feels the gig is up. Otherwise the audience will be asking, "why would he show her where the records are, if he knew she would find something"?

But my answer when I wrote it was, is that she shows up to audit by surprise, and he doesn't really have much of a choice, since he doesn't have time to hide the cooked records. But will this make sense, if I cut the scene, where it shows him realizing the gig is up, cause there is a missing shot in it?

Like maybe I can cut it so he says he will show her where the records are, then cut to the next sequence, where he goes to bribe her cause he realizes she found something. Or will the audience still ask that question then?

Steve Olander
07-10-2017, 05:55 PM
Do your instructors at the school not help you with this????

Steve

ironpony
07-15-2017, 05:55 AM
The instuctor said to reshoot it if nothing works for me in the editing, but I don't really have time if I am to make any type of reasonable deadline for the project, since half of it still needs to be shot. I thought it would be best to fix the missing shots in the editing, but not really sure how to go about it. Since certain actors couldn't make it to the shoots and since the shoot times were cut shorter than I would have liked, I am trying to edit around plot holes and missing shots, but also trying to create suspension of disbelief for the audience.

Here is what I have so far, with the footage I got. It's just a rough cut with no audio so far, since in the school, we do audio after final cut of the video. So sorry if some of the audio sounds weird, or sentences are not lining up right here and there, but all that is going to be fixed later once the audio is done. You will also see the boom in some shots, but that is because it hasn't been cropped to wider aspect ratio yet, which I am planning on doing later. However, video wise, does the story make sense for the shots I have?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE2ABAOyTXY&feature=youtu.be

Steve Olander
07-15-2017, 05:01 PM
I think you are doing better than you think you are. The footage walking backwards down the stairs is kind of shaky, and stabilizing it may still reveal motion blur, but otherwise it is coming along.

If you have a reverse angle of the old man talking when he meets the girl investigating him it would help to intercut that to help that scene.

I don't think the missing scene is an issue. In the last scene in this edit he sees that she has found something, slams the lid shut with his cane to illustrate his displeasure, and then bribes her. Everything you want to convey in the missing scene is in this one. I think the missing scene would be redundant.

The CEO slamming the cabinet door with his cane is really good blocking. Did you come up with that or did the actor?

Also, showing the person listening to the character who is talking is a good technique. Many people show just the character who is speaking instead of getting the reaction of the character who is listening. You are doing this well.

The only change i would make in what I saw is I would cut from the CEO meeting the agent to them going down the stairs a few frame shorter. As soon as he finishes speaking I would cut on the next frame to them coming down the stairs. Otherwise, the way it is now it hangs on a causes a short pause, even if it is just a fraction of a second. You don't want anything to slow it down here because the CEO is tense, and you don't want to break that tension.

Steve

ironpony
07-15-2017, 05:15 PM
The actor came up with the blocking, and decided to slam the drawyer himself. Basically the scene was rewritten on the fly a few hours before the shoot cause one of the actors couldn't make it, and I still wanted to shoot that day and not loose another day. But because of rewriting on the fly, I didn't do up the best new storyboards or a the best new shot list, and I am missing a shot where it shows the woman's reaction to finding something crooked in the files.

So I feel the audience would be confused because I cannot see her emotion that shes found something troubling in the master shot. It just all of a sudden starts out that way with no other shots to cut too, since I had to shoot in a hurry, after rewriting the whole sequence on the fly. So I felt not seeing an emotion reaction in the face, would cause it to not make sense, since all I have is a wide master of that, I think. I blame myself for not coming up with better storyboards on the fly, to accommodate the script changes. It just feels like there is missing shots, and not sure what to do.

Plus he says he will show her to the file, room and then all of a sudden she has found something, without really showing much of a reaction from her so I feel that the audience might not be able to make sense of it, or find it jarring, since it just skips ahead. I actually do have a scene of him showing her into the room it turns out, but it was poorly shot, and not sure how to interconnect it, or what to do.

mara
07-15-2017, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by ironpony: It just feels like there is missing shots, and not sure what to do.

You just got very positive feedback from an experienced filmmaker. So take a deep breath, exhale, and relax - then finish it. You can do it.

Steve Olander
07-16-2017, 07:26 AM
The fact that your CEO slams that door shut with his cane indicates that he knows the "evidence" she is looking for can be found in that cabinet. He knows he is busted. The fact that your actor did that helps make that point. Had he not slammed it with his cane and made the facial expression he did then the audience might be a little confused. However, what you've got communicates what you need. It's covered. Don't see it with what is missing, see it with what you DO have.

You do not have to show every single element, such as him actually showing her where the files are. He said he was going to do that, so the audience understands this has been done when we see her looking at the files. You are right, it would be BETTER to have a shot of her finding something and her face reacting to that, but what is going on in the story, what you want the audience to be able to follow, is there.

Your actress did well with saying "I can't" 3 times. There could have been better writing here but she did a good job with voice inflection to make it believable. It might have been a good idea to try that several times with her adding something different, such as "I'm sorry, I just can't," due to her somewhat submissive stance. She is not threatening back to charge him with bribery or anything like that, so she seems somewhat submissive, or passive.

Steve

ironpony
07-16-2017, 10:44 AM
Okay thanks. If there is too many "I can't"s, then I can cut one or two out, if that is okay. So far the script is being re-written on the fly, cause of actor and location changes, and not sure if I can finish it now. Hopefully they will come back and shoot the rest :)