PDA

View Full Version : RENDERING video fast with MacbookPro: RAID or NOT?

David1993
04-04-2017, 02:20 PM
I want to have somewhere to save my files and also that will give me some more performance when reendering video.

I have: MacbookPro Retina with MacOs Sierra, 2,3 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB, Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

And I work with video from CANON 550D, 5D (in raw) and sometimes from Canon C300, Black Magic and similar.
It takes a long time when rendering files with lots of effects. (I use FCPX)

The question is the following: Should I make a RAID0 or buy a single external hdd.
Somewhere I read its not worth to make a RAID for rendering if you dont have 4 HDDs or more...
My budget right now would be for something like a RAID with two WD Blue or Black of 1 or 2TB.
The good thing is that in the future I could get better HDDs and use the same RAID tower, maybe I could buy one with 4 slots and use just 2 at the moment.

In the other hand, I dont know if this would worth the money in terms of increase of performace, or should I just go the other simpler option and buy something like LaCie 2TB Rugged with USB3.0 and Thunderbolt, or something a bit more expensive like LaCie d2 Thunderbolt 2 3TB 3000 GB Thunderbolt. And this would be more expensive than the RAID but maybe have better performance (Although I couldnt expand the storage in the future)

In summary... Has anyone tried this options and has any advices? ☺

thanks!

Steve Olander
04-04-2017, 04:16 PM
I edit on a late 2011 iMac with i7 3.4ghz processor, 16GB RAM, and 1MB video card. I am using a G-Drive with Thunderbolt connection. G-Drive hard drives are popular among professionals too. They tend to last longer than most others. The Lacie also has a good reputation. I've only seen them as portable hard drives though. My G-Drive is not made to be portable and it has a really nice housing to keep it cool. Look into them.

When I render I render to the Storage drive in my computer. It is a regular hard drive. I also have an SSD drive that my OS and apps are on, so FCPX runs from that, which is quicker than a regular hard drive.

Effects intensive scenes will take more time, that's just how it is. There is a lot of processing to go on. I don't know if you can expand the RAM on your laptop or not but someday I am going to expand mine to 32GB to help with rendering speed.

Steve