PDA

View Full Version : Sharpen DSLR footage to look like Pro camera?

Steve Olander
02-28-2017, 05:16 PM
I as wondering if anyone has played around with and sharpened DSLR footage to appear as sharp as a much more expensive camera with finer glass without the image appearing "funny?" Overly sharpened footage has a funky look to it, defeating sharpening the footage in the first place.

I was just thinking about this tonight and thought I would ask if anyone has edited for this specific reason already. I am going to be doing this next week if I get the chance.

Thanks,
Steve

Mick Scarborough
03-01-2017, 10:56 PM
I've never had satisfactory results trying to improve sharpness. I have decided it cant be done or else why would there be better cameras. As you said, they always look odd.

ironpony
03-02-2017, 12:30 AM
What is your sharpness setting in the camera, right now, on your settings?

Steve Olander
03-02-2017, 06:54 PM
Zero.

Ironpony, taking advantage of the Sharpness feature of the camera negatively affects the image for filmmaking. It amplifies aliasing and moire and makes the image look unnaturally sharp. This video is a really good example of these things...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPIOPc71REY

The kit lens and other zoom lenses are not as sharp as prime lenses, and prime lenses are not as sharp as cine lenses, but each level costs so much more.

My 18-55mm kit lens does a nice job, but for making a film to be shown in high-def it is just not as sharp as a professionally shot film with high end equipment.

I recently learned about the Samyang 16mm prime lens. It provides a much sharper image than my kit lens and I think with editing it could possibly appear more "high end." The price is certainly right too. I've been looking at videos about that lens and it is very impressive. Nikon does not make a wide lens for APS-C sensored cameras (DX).

Steve

Steve

ironpony
03-03-2017, 03:06 AM
Oh okay. I already know that the sharpness causes aliasing and moire, but I thought maybe the OP's camera, could have perhaps used a little sharpness boost, if the image is blurry.

For my camera, I do have an 18-55 lens, as well as a 50mm. Both seem to produce okay images in terms of sharpness I find. Perhaps I could go sharper though, if the 18-55mm is not enough?

I don't know if I would want a 16mm lens, cause it would probably have a lot of barrel distortion, even in the wide shots. I probably shouldn't go less than a 24mm I am thinking, but not sure.

scooterwolf
03-05-2017, 07:36 AM
Not familiar with shooting with prime lens (I'm still more of an animator), but wouldn't a 16 mm lens give a more 4:3/analog aspect ratio?
I do shoot a lot of footage with an action cam (Drift Ghost S) and a technique used by adventure cam film makers is to shot at 1080p at
60 fps to get more stunning and sharper footage. I'm not sure if a DSLR can do that?

- Wolf

Steve Olander
03-05-2017, 09:07 AM
In my research on the 16mm Samyang lens, there is a slight touch of "barrelness" in the middle of the image at certain aperture settings, and none or at others. It is so slight that I do not believe anyone would notice. The only way I was able to see it is because the person who made that video took a picture of a line grid. However, with a shot of scene I don't think the eye can pick it up. I believe only in very specific shots would it even be perceptible, and then it can be flattened in editing if needed.

Scooterwolf, the videos I've seen reviewing that lens are in 16:9 aspect ratio.

I have a 35mm prime lens that shoots like a 50mm lens on my APS-C sensored camera. It is sharper than my kit 18-55mm.

My camera does not shoot 60 fps at 1080. The reason the image appears sharper is because there are more frames in each second shown, which means each frame was exposed for a shorter amount of time, freezing the action even more so, and less motion blur.

Zoom lenses are not as sharp as prime lenses because of the additional number of glass in the assembly, and the need to focus at a range of focal lengths. Prime lenses only have to focus at one focal length and have a lower number of glass in them. This is what enables them to be sharper.

Steve

ironpony
03-05-2017, 10:46 AM
Not familiar with shooting with prime lens (I'm still more of an animator), but wouldn't a 16 mm lens give a more 4:3/analog aspect ratio?
I do shoot a lot of footage with an action cam (Drift Ghost S) and a technique used by adventure cam film makers is to shot at 1080p at
60 fps to get more stunning and sharper footage. I'm not sure if a DSLR can do that?

- Wolf

If you are thinking of trying to shoot at 60 fps, a lot of people in the filmmaking community and outside, do not like that look. I helped a guy make his feature film, and a lot of people after, didn't like the look of it, saying that it the cinematography looked too much like a "soap opera", as they said, and the reason why was the 60 fps. So it doesn't look as cinematic to a lot of people compared to 24 fps.

Steve Olander
05-25-2017, 07:23 PM
Updating the firmware with hacked firmware that enables recording at 54mbps seems to have improved the sharpness of my footage.

Steve