PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Spec Good Enough?

Track Addicts
07-17-2016, 09:42 AM
Hi all,

I'm new to the forums and new to video editing. Looking to get my YouTube channel off the ground, all related to car, motorcycle, track days & racing.

I'll be recording footage with a Panasonic HC-V750 and GoPro Hero 3 for now. As I need a new laptop anyway I'm hoping I can get one that will be able to edit 1080p footage filmed in AVCHD.

I'm looking at a custom built laptop with the following specs. Will this be good enough to work with the likes of Sony Vegas Pro or Adobe Premier without lagging?

Processor - Intel Core i7 Quad Core 6700HQ (2.6GHz, 3.5GHz Turbo)

Memory - 32GB Impact 2133MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2x 16GB)

Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M, 2.0GB DDR3 Video RAM, DirectX 12

Storage - 500GB Samsung 750 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/s Read & 520MB/s Write)

Operating System - Windows 10 Professional 64-bit

What are people's thoughts on that spec. Will it handle everything I need it to do? Will it also be a bit future proof if I ever decide to work with 4K?

Thanks

Cliffjumper Productions
07-17-2016, 08:33 PM
That will handle just fine for everything your doing at the moment BUT this system will not work for 4k video editing. Also tell me what your channel name is if you want so i can go check it out cause it sounds awesome, i myself have a youtube account where i make short films, called cliffjumper films and just have fun with it, and good luck.- Cliffjumper Productions.

Steve Olander
07-17-2016, 09:59 PM
Just my own opinion here.... how big is the screen on your laptop going to be? Getting a good look at the preview window, when you want to get really deep into filmmaking and editing, is very critical. You want the preview window to be as big as possible to be able to see just what you've got and just what you've done with it.

I was using Sony Vegas Pro on a windows desktop with a 24 inch screen. The computer didn't have enough optimal power for my latest projects but I was still able to do what I wanted. The big issue I had was being able to see just what my video was really looking like.

I now have a 27 inch iMac desktop especially for editing. In the preview window of Final Cut Pro X (Sony does not have a Mac version of Vegas) I can see everything very well and I have more confidence in how the end product is going to look.

All of your spec's are great for 1080p editing. I don't have any experience with 4K so I could not tell you about that. I can say being able to get a really good look at the preview window is very important though, and if it is small because of a small screen, that will cause headaches for you.

Steve

Track Addicts
07-17-2016, 10:24 PM
That will handle just fine for everything your doing at the moment BUT this system will not work for 4k video editing. Also tell me what your channel name is if you want so i can go check it out cause it sounds awesome, i myself have a youtube account where i make short films, called cliffjumper films and just have fun with it, and good luck.- Cliffjumper Productions.

Thanks. Can you tell me what it is lacking for 4K editing? More for future notice than anything else. If it handles 1080p fine, then it's good enough for me.

The channel is called "TrackAddicts", link is in my profile. Nothing on it just yet, but hoping that will change in the next couple of weeks.

Just my own opinion here.... how big is the screen on your laptop going to be? Getting a good look at the preview window, when you want to get really deep into filmmaking and editing, is very critical. You want the preview window to be as big as possible to be able to see just what you've got and just what you've done with it.

I was using Sony Vegas Pro on a windows desktop with a 24 inch screen. The computer didn't have enough optimal power for my latest projects but I was still able to do what I wanted. The big issue I had was being able to see just what my video was really looking like.

I now have a 27 inch iMac desktop especially for editing. In the preview window of Final Cut Pro X (Sony does not have a Mac version of Vegas) I can see everything very well and I have more confidence in how the end product is going to look.

All of your spec's are great for 1080p editing. I don't have any experience with 4K so I could not tell you about that. I can say being able to get a really good look at the preview window is very important though, and if it is small because of a small screen, that will cause headaches for you.

Steve

The screen on the laptop is only 14", but when doing video editing I will have it docked into dual 23" IPS panel displays, so I think that should be fine.

Mainly need a laptop for other things I do with the machine, but the high spec of it will be for video editing. Using a docking station will give me the best of both worlds. 2 large displays for editing and portability I need for other programs

Cliffjumper Productions
07-18-2016, 02:27 AM
Your graphics card is going to give you a really laggy editing inside premier and Sony Vegas with 4K fotage, and I'll be sure to check out your channel once somethings up- Cliffjumper Productions.

Track Addicts
07-18-2016, 02:45 AM
Ah, ok! This seems to be one of the better graphics cards available in a laptop this size without spending silly .

As long as it does 1080p fine without stuttering I'm happy. As I probably wont be editing 4K for a long time. Might need a new machine by then anyway.

Thanks for your help. Will let you guys know once I have my first video up. Will be after I get my new laptop which takes 1-2 weeks due to being custom built.

scooterwolf
12-17-2016, 06:58 AM
Regarding looking at your footage in a large screen/panel format, having a second monitor is great, but many programs allow the editor to make a panel full screen. Not sure if this is possible in Vegas (when last I worked in it my editor has a second monitor), but hitting the tilde key -- looks like this [ ~ }, while make an active panel full screen.

- Wolf

SleepyDogFilms
02-05-2017, 04:20 PM
Do you have external hard drives in addition. Just looking, 500GB can fill up pretty fast.