PDA

View Full Version : Short Carlos' Confession

shawnrohrbach
04-30-2016, 11:19 AM
Carlos’ Confession
By Shawn Rohrbach
Adapted by Shawn Rohrbach from the short story by the same title appearing in “Strays and Other Stories” (Sabella Press, 2009) written by Shawn Rohrbach. Script registered with WGAw and story is copyrighted. 12-15 Minutes, one location with 3-4 short remote scenes.

Carlos is a young man who has suffered emotionally and psychologically from an early life on the streets and seeks refuge from the blazing summer heat in an air conditioned Catholic confessional and to make the experience last longer weaves long and fantastical stories leading up to what he wonders is a sin; having sex with Jesus. The priest is not experienced enough to recognize what is happening and becomes angry at what he considers blasphemy and threatens Carlos, but Carlos has a gifted and manipulative tongue and ties the priest up in verbal sparring until he decides to leave.

Steve Olander
05-01-2016, 05:29 PM
Just a point of information, did you gain the literary rights to adapt the short story into a script to be marketed? In addition to this, do you have the film rights to be able to sell to whomever buys your script?

Steve

shawnrohrbach
05-02-2016, 06:58 AM
Steve, I wrote the story and it was a a part of my collection "Strays and Other Stories" (Sabella Press 2009). I copyrighted the collection and each individual story as I would with any published material. I have also registered the script with WGAw. When someone buys a script that is based on a story I created and copyrighted, I sell only the use of the story for that movie and I will always retain ownership of the story. The same with a script I write. So far, I have had no inclination to adapt someone else's story to script as i have twenty more short stories and three novels, two of which UI have adapted already and working on the most recent novel adaptation. When I cross a new bridge, I consult with my attorney.

Steve Olander
05-02-2016, 05:56 PM
Oh, ok, I was unaware that you also wrote the original story. I did not pick up on that fact where you concluded the sentence with it being written by you. I needed more sleep.

On this forum we occasionally get people who are not aware of such formality.

Steve