PDA

View Full Version : Mac vs PC

Heramb Studios
03-01-2016, 12:03 PM
Hi

I'm going to by a new computer for video editing but i'm not sure which one to buy. I've been looking on these two:

Imac 27" MK462

ASUS ROG G20CB-NR012T

Which one would you choose?

Mick Scarborough
03-01-2016, 11:06 PM
Mac really has nothing over the PC so why waste so much money on a Mac. Also since Apple feels its a better business model to shelter terrorists, I wouldn't give them a fuggin dime.

Steve Olander
03-03-2016, 07:03 PM
I am moving from Windows to Mac this month. I have a desktop that has XP on it still because it has been the most useful and stable version of Windows. I still edit on it but it is 32-bit. That won't do anymore.

I have Windows 7 on a laptop and hate it. After XP, Windows has been nothing but a mess. I have used Windows since 1996. I started with Windows 95.

When our daughter started college we got her a macbook. The college recommended it. Five years later, without 5 seconds of doing any "maintenance" the computer still worked as good as it did when first bought. A Windows computer would have had to been wiped and reinstalled in that time, on top of the maintenance that has to be done with them. This is what sold me on Mac, as well as the incompetence of Windows. All of Apple's advertising could not sway me to them, but Microsoft's product did.

A friend of mine edited his feature on an iMac with I7 processor and 16GB of RAM. The film looks great and he had no hiccups while editing and all the footage as able to be previewed smoothly no matter how many effects were done to each clip. This is the way I am going. People tend to be fiercely loyal to their brand, but I am switching mine. I am sure you can do well on both systems.

Mick, could you elaborate about the terrorists please?

Steve

Aaron Jones
03-04-2016, 05:20 PM
Sounds like you have been using out dated Windows Platform versions. Win 10 works great for me. I run the entire adobe suite on my machine. I first installed it on the the laptop and when that ran good I then installed it on my main desktop. I also used Windows 8 & 8.1. As others were complaining about it I had no problems. I guess it must be a preference rather than actual fact on the workings of the windows platform.

martynuk
03-05-2016, 04:09 AM
Aaron, you must be one of the lucky ones as I've heard nothing but tales of woe from people going on to windows 10.
My neighbor had to have a full reinstall after only a couple of weeks with it.
Can anyone tell me what was wrong with windows 7, that works.

Mick Scarborough
03-05-2016, 12:06 PM
I hated Windows 10 and use XP mostly. I have Windows XP Professional which is 64 bit. I run a fast CPU with 64 GB of ram and 2 TB of storage. Yes windows has its hiccups and I do conduct a clean install every two years. It takes up a whole 2 hours of my time every 730 days. A small price to pay for a system and programs that cost 1/2 to 1/3 of the price of Apple and Apple compatible products.

I use Windows 8.1 on this laptop and its fine for internet browsing but I would not use it for film editing.

Mick Scarborough
03-05-2016, 12:14 PM
I hated Windows 10 and use XP mostly. I have Windows XP Professional which is 64 bit. I run a fast CPU with 64 GB of ram and 2 TB of storage. Yes windows has its hiccups and I do conduct a clean install every two years. It takes up a whole 2 hours of my time every 730 days. A small price to pay for a system and programs that cost 1/2 to 1/3 of the price of Apple and Apple compatible products.

I use Windows 8.1 on this laptop and its fine for internet browsing but I would not use it for film editing.

CJM Sandman
03-05-2016, 07:01 PM
The majority of my experience has been using PC, for the simple reason of more editing programs that offer an acceptable level of quality in regards to usability, cost, and most importantly functionality. Having a functional editing program that can improve the flow of how idea's are strung together reinforces the nature of editing, and how quickly and creatively you can arrange it in your own head. I find that PC lends itself to this more often than not.

However, when I attended film school, we used Apple G5's and Final Cut Pro for editing. At the time I felt that the program was probably the best I had used, considering the vast majority of other inferior programs at the time.

If you have an unlimited budget (pipe dream for us all) check into getting a Mac, it's geared that way. PC would ultimately be the way to go. There are more editing programs, and that translates into more ways to manipulate your medium.

Just do some solid research and pull the trigger on whichever works best for you. Good luck!

Krimzon Wolf
03-05-2016, 09:41 PM
I could give my opinion, but I don't think it would contribute very much to the "war" you have started.

Go with what your budget allows. The extra money you spend now could be used for something essential down the road. Just please don't get Linux. Everyone will hate you.

Steve Olander
03-06-2016, 06:21 PM
"Can anyone tell me what was wrong with windows 7, that works."

On my laptop with Windows 7 on it there are so many things running on it to make it work that it uses up too many resources and causes my computer to lock up, hesitate, freeze, and interrupt things I am doing. I've been into msconfig and turned off a lot of things, but there are tons more that I have no clue what they are, or even if I do I am not sure how important it is that they be running. I do not edit on that laptop. Also, Windows XP is real easy to get around in and make changes, get to settings and such. In Windows 7 Microsoft has buried everything under a minimum of 5 layers so that it is not intuitive as to where you can find things to change or adjust things. They don't want people messing with their computers. 7 is not friendly at all.

"Sounds like you have been using out dated Windows Platform versions."

I do now, but they were current at the time. I don't know how old you are but as I mentioned I started with Windows 95 in 1996. I then went to Windows 98 (1998) when that came out and it was an improvement. Later, ME came out. I saw no reason to update to that as it was not a revamp of the whole operating system. XP (2001) was a whole new revamp and an improvement. I got it when it came out. When Vista came out it didn't take long for all the bugs to be reported and popularized. So many people complained about it that Microsoft spent big bucks on a "clever" marketing campaign, instead of spending big bucks on fixing the problem. The marketing campaign fooled people into thinking there was a new system, then it was revealed that they were using Vista. Well, that's what you saw on the commercial. Anyway, then 7 came out and it was supposed to be the end-all for the Vista problems. Through all that I saw no reason to leave XP when it had been easy to use, and very reliable. I bought a laptop and of course at the time it had 7 on it. That's why I have it. I mentioned why I don't like it.

Windows 8 is to make my computer function like the smart phone I don't have. I had a smart phone for a year and went back to a flip phone so that I would not through a $600 phone against a wall. My 25 year old daughter has Windows 8 on her computer and hates it, so it is not just a generational thing.

Microsoft abandoned the philosophy behind 8 when it came out with 10, due to customer feedback. 10 is an all invasive program as getting and selling your information is an even bigger market than selling an operating system.

Those are the reasons I am done with PC. I am not saying you can't edit a great movie on a PC, I am just saying I am not going to bother.

Steve

Matt Knight
08-29-2016, 12:10 PM
i'm typing this on an 8 year old macbook.
i don't think there's a windows machine that would still turn on after 8 years. i've never had to install any anti virus etc either. you don't want your precious footage infected with a virus.

macs ARE just better. i use windows too and they're nowhere near as reliable, stable, fast. i bought a mac because i'm a final cut pro man, the proper one, not the youtube vloggers fcpx version, and it still works. a good pc is really good and some things are just easier on a pc, som software is better on a pc, but on he whole if you're serious about filmmaking i wouldn't even consider windows.

that said - most machines that run avid are windows. but i doubt most people on here will be having an avid suite installed in their back bedroom.

Walter B
08-29-2016, 03:24 PM
i'm typing this on an 8 year old macbook.
i don't think there's a windows machine that would still turn on after 8 years. i've never had to install any anti virus etc either. you don't want your precious footage infected with a virus.

That is a myth. Macs are not immune to viruses.

In the end it doesn't really matter what system you use: nobody can see whether a video is edited on mac or PC.
As long as it does it's job it is perfect.

Aaron Jones
08-31-2016, 03:07 AM
That is a myth. Macs are not immune to viruses.

In the end it doesn't really matter what system you use: nobody can see whether a video is edited on mac or PC.
As long as it does it's job it is perfect.

Agreed! This war will go on til the end of time. The fact is after 3 years of editing and filming i use PC mainly because it is more economical. My wife uses Mac because it is what people say you should use. I spend more time helping her with her machine, not to say one is better than the other. What I am saying after all the opinions I have heard no matter which one you use you can get the job done with either. I currently run Win10 and I use Adobe Suite CC.

Your main focus should be on your graphic card if you are running PC. I have 32GB of ram and only utilize 12GB at peak usage. It is the graphic card that can bottle neck you. Mac seem to have a better all around machine with these things in mind but when you try and upgrade it, well that is another expensive story. If there is an issue with finances and budget I say go PC. Just my take...

I have old PC machines that work just fine after 8 years. Not really sure what that comment was about from earlier post. I use to build PC's back in the day. I bought an old PC machine ($89 off Ebay refurbished - came with machine, monitor, mouse, and keyboard) for a guy at church and then bought him the Cakewalk 9 to run his home audio studio and all is well. It works way better than the analog component system he was running. So I wish you guys would be more realistic with your comments especially when someone is trying to figure out how best to accomplish things with a budget. Knowing what you need is the key. Dont just buy because of what people say...

Viruses are not brand pacific. The only reason Mac does not have as many viruses is because their software has not been hacked as much as Windows. There were an extremely amount of people using PC's than Mac back 10 to 15 years ago so they experimented with it as a result. That is the only reason. Mac was on it's way out because the consumers preferred a machine that they could upgrade easier. Mac then chose to sell different colors and it brought them back alive and made consumers more intrigued about their machines.

paint it black
09-01-2016, 12:52 PM
I edit on a 2011 MacBook Pro. 8GB's of ram, I use Premiere Pro, and always run Illustrator, photoshop, and premiere pro at the same time simultaneously while editing. I actually always keep them open at the same time. I experienced some lagging when I had the standard 4GB of ram that came on this laptop, but once I upgraded to 8GB($43 upgrade via Amazon), I haven't had an issue.

I can tell you my PC's never lasted more than a year before going to complete crap. I even had a custom built one with high end components and that one managed to last two years. I switched to Mac and haven't looked back. I might get the iMac 5k moving forward, but this MacBook Pro has gotten the job done for years.

Cliffjumper Productions
09-01-2016, 06:11 PM
Get a WINNNNNNDDDDOOOOOWWWWWS!

scooterwolf
12-17-2016, 06:49 AM
There are so many factors to consider, but for me it comes down to a computer’s graphics card, and the available software formatted for it. I prefer Macs because they can partitioned for both the Windows and Mac platforms. You can run both Vegas and Premiere on a Partitioned Mac.

As HD is now the preferred resolution, with a move now towards 2 and 4 K, a good to a great graphics card is necessary. Regardless of your computer lag issues will arise. Learning how to manage memory, cache cleaning, and the use of codecs can go a long way towards having a long, slow night of editing, and a quick efficient one.

- Wolf

Aaron Jones
12-18-2016, 04:42 PM
There are so many factors to consider, but for me it comes down to a computer’s graphics card, and the available software formatted for it. I prefer Macs because they can partitioned for both the Windows and Mac platforms. You can run both Vegas and Premiere on a Partitioned Mac.

As HD is now the preferred resolution, with a move now towards 2 and 4 K, a good to a great graphics card is necessary. Regardless of your computer lag issues will arise. Learning how to manage memory, cache cleaning, and the use of codecs can go a long way towards having a long, slow night of editing, and a quick efficient one.

- Wolf

I agree with you, but I'm a little bias to windows because you can easily upgrade graphic cards. If you have a limited budget you can start with a GeForce then upgrade the graphic card to a NVIDA Quadro when budget allows. The only limitation is to make sure you have a power supply that can support the better graphic card.

So if you are on a budget then Windows is the better option.

SleepyDogFilms
02-05-2017, 04:22 PM
I used PC for probably 15 years. When I was required to purchase a mac for school, I fell in love with it. Don't worry about software offerings. There are free emulators like WINE that allows you to use Windows software on a Mac. I have been doing this for about 8 years now and am very happy.

rob leone
02-21-2017, 01:02 PM
The Mac vs. windows argument is meaningless now. You can build a super computer on a windows system for pennies on the dollar of what a mac would cost. I personally prefer the mac interface so thats what I use. I would say that if you are in the market for a mac you should take a hard look at the 2012 mac pro (last model before the trash can). It is completely upgradeable unlike the trash can. The computer is a beast but the processor is getting old so no matter what you do you will eventually have a bottle neck at that point even with the 3.47 ghz 12-core. a good website to visit is create.pro. they build killer macs and Z workstations.

Mick Scarborough
02-21-2017, 07:51 PM
I use a PC and likely always will. I bought my son a Mac for his engineering college and really do not think its a user friendly computer. But those used to using a Mac would disagree. Truth be told both platforms are excellent for film editing and SFX. Get what you like.