PDA

View Full Version : how much wire levitation scenes costs?

blue metal
11-29-2015, 10:55 AM
i want to have a cheap and short clip(20 minutes) with a scene of a person levitating in air(few seconds) and another one with person being lifted in air with one hand.

how much can those scenes cost or adds to the basic costs of the clip?

UniqueAmI
11-29-2015, 11:42 AM
If you have to use a harness, then it can't be shot just anywhere. A location will be needed where the harness can be strung up. So, that adds money to the expenses.

I would imagine that one effect would be a couple of hundred dollars.

For a few dollars you can buy the secret to David Blaine's levitation "anywhere". I don't think you need a harness of anything, it might be worth a shot.

Perhaps it can be a wide shot just before the levitation, a CU of the feet leaving the ground, a CU of the person's expression of being levitated, a medium shot of the person higher than the person doing the levitation, and then a CU of the feet touching ground again. This could be accomplished by two people lifting the person (by the arms) for the CU of the feet. The person could be on a step ladder or stool for the medium shot, or a picture could be in the background that shows their height, and it's lowered for the medium shot. This would all be editing effects.

blue metal
11-29-2015, 01:16 PM
If you have to use a harness, then it can't be shot just anywhere. A location will be needed where the harness can be strung up. So, that adds money to the expenses.

I would imagine that one effect would be a couple of hundred dollars.

For a few dollars you can buy the secret to David Blaine's levitation "anywhere". I don't think you need a harness of anything, it might be worth a shot.

Perhaps it can be a wide shot just before the levitation, a CU of the feet leaving the ground, a CU of the person's expression of being levitated, a medium shot of the person higher than the person doing the levitation, and then a CU of the feet touching ground again. This could be accomplished by two people lifting the person (by the arms) for the CU of the feet. The person could be on a step ladder or stool for the medium shot, or a picture could be in the background that shows their height, and it's lowered for the medium shot. This would all be editing effects.

i saw here some videos of erasing people/objects from scene in adobe after effects so how much it cost to do something like what you suggested just with the person sitting on something high enough(that will keep the person legs above the floor) and that will be erased with the software?.

UniqueAmI
11-29-2015, 02:09 PM
It would be expensive. If it was shot green screen (green material covering the stool) it would be easier. But, anyone who is capable of doing it well, would probably be at least a hundred just to make the picture look decent. Film makers aren't necessarily editors and editors do not necessarily use After Effects. After effects is used by special effects people in post production. many editors do use it, but it's not their specialty. Editors tell the story, special effects people remove the stool.

If you were looking for a few cheap actors to do your material on camera, that's easy and inexpensive ($200 would be a good price). Once you add the levitation (done well) you're tacking on time and cost. A lot of cost. Green material could cost you $20 - $50, and if the person you hire doesn't do everything themself, then you have added cost of editor and special effects person. That's a couple of hundred there.

blue metal
11-30-2015, 11:48 AM
It would be expensive. If it was shot green screen (green material covering the stool) it would be easier. But, anyone who is capable of doing it well, would probably be at least a hundred just to make the picture look decent. Film makers aren't necessarily editors and editors do not necessarily use After Effects. After effects is used by special effects people in post production. many editors do use it, but it's not their specialty. Editors tell the story, special effects people remove the stool.

If you were looking for a few cheap actors to do your material on camera, that's easy and inexpensive ($200 would be a good price). Once you add the levitation (done well) you're tacking on time and cost. A lot of cost. Green material could cost you $20 - $50, and if the person you hire doesn't do everything themself, then you have added cost of editor and special effects person. That's a couple of hundred there.

if i want to make a movie i need to pay each person(actors and cameraman and editor) individualy and make them work together or i can just contact a producer and pay only him?.
i know that question isn't related to special effects but it is related to my next question.

if the cameraman or editor know how to work with green screen how much it cost to ask him to make a stool(or anything the person is standing on) to disapear? it is a lot of work?

UniqueAmI
11-30-2015, 02:59 PM
You're asking a lot for very little return.

You don't need a Producer. You need a compact filmmaker. When you advertise for a Director (that's really what you want) you put in description that you need someone who will take your script and create a short film for you. Note that it just needs one location, and there is a levitation. Mention lo-pay (don't mention the amount).

Wait for responses. You'll whittle down the list to a few. $200 will go to that person. That person is responsible for getting you a finished product of your script. If they choose to pay the actors, editor or whoever else is up to them.

Steve Olander
11-30-2015, 07:20 PM
The DOP will need to know how the levitation will be done so that he can shoot the footage that will be needed. In a shot like making the stool disappear you need footage of the same shot (camera angle, framing) without the stool so the background BEHIND the stool can be put in when the stool disappears. This shot, without the stool, is called a background plate. Because of this the DOP and Editor need to know before hand how it is going to be done.

I am not available because of other projects, but I do the Directing, DOP, videography, editing, SFX, and sound design. It became that way first out of interest, then also in order to save money. I am sure you can find someone like that. I don't believe I am too unique in this in the Indie realm. It is one of the best ways to save costs, if you can do the work well.

Steve

Thomas Schelesny
04-30-2016, 09:26 AM
Shot correctly, your levitation effect could be simple & easy. Shot incorrectly, it will be expensive, or even impossible.

I work in VFX and am often asked to help filmmakers finish their projects. More often than not I decline, because they shot the material incorrectly, making completion of a even a simple VFX shot incredibly difficult.

Your first step is to find someone who knows how to do the effect. Work with them on designing a simple/easy shot design. Ideally, they would be there when you shot it, so you can be certain it meets all of the specs.

khathawayart
02-12-2017, 09:15 PM
To reiterate Thomas from above---if you plan on adding any kind of digital FX in post--you must KNOW HOW TO SHOOT the footage for later FX. Just shooting it and dumping it in someone's lap is NOT the way to go. I had a feature dumped in my lap with all kinds of effects for shots that were not planned properly. I did the editing, but refused to add the FX without a budget to pay me for it. The way it was shot meant many hours of time-consuming animation--all of which I can do--but with zero budget, I'm basically being asked to donate my time to someone else's baby--Sorry, not me. Get together with your FX guy BEFORE you shoot--they can advise you on how to properly set up the shot. Us older folks know the work of stop-motion master Ray Harryhausen…he was ON THE SET when setting up background plates for FX work. In order for the FX to work--many shots have to be meticulously planned. DO NOT just shoot willy-nilly.

Thomas Schelesny
02-12-2017, 09:23 PM
Ray Harryhausen ... what a career!
I even had the pleasure of hanging with him a few times.
A couple years ago, I supervised an homage sequence to Ray on GOT S4.