PDA

View Full Version : Advice on seeking a producer

fellinitim
06-25-2012, 01:31 AM
Hey! I'm a writer-director in L.A. gearing up to do my first feature film. I have raised the $ to shoot my micro-budgeted project and to pay a producer a modest salary. My producer from previous projects is unavailable to work on this film, so I'm looking for a new producer. I had met my old producer through a craigslist post, so I've tried that again, as well as Mandy, Women in Film and some other film groups. Also been networking among my filmmaking friends.

Just wondering if anyone has any other suggestions on ways to find a good Indie producer? Especially those that are not only good line-producers but have some knowledge of film festivals and the Indie film market. I've already met some good candidates but I'm always open to more input. Especially if anyone can tell me what methods worked for them? The project is a comedy-drama-romance, very indie, festival friendly. Any thoughts? Thanks. :)

Nick Soares
06-25-2012, 09:48 AM
Hmmm, there is a lot to ponder here. I know of some great indie producers in LA. But the only issue is money. Films are tricky because they normally dont end around the time you want. What is the pay? Feel free to PM me if you want

fellinitim
06-25-2012, 08:26 PM
For you or anyone wanting more info, here's the link to my craigslist post seeking a producer:

Seeking producer for feature film (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/tfr/3074774155.html)

It's a 44K budget so we're only offering 2K up front or roughly 5% of the budget. It's negotiable but obviously on a budget that small there's not a ton of wiggle room. So said producer will probably be up and coming, loves indies, or both. :)

wizehopt
07-04-2012, 05:53 PM
Are you offering any points on any money that may come in from sales? That's always a good way to catch someone if you don't have all the fund up front.

fellinitim
07-04-2012, 10:40 PM
Thanks! Actually I just found my producer. And yes, we're negotiating points. :)

PatrickAThompson
07-06-2012, 06:47 AM
Quick question... What do you mean by "points"?

Thanks!

wizehopt
07-06-2012, 07:58 AM
Quick question... What do you mean by "points"?

Thanks!

Ya its a weird one..basically it means percentage points..some time people say points instead of percentage, but its the same thing.

Tplusconcept
07-13-2012, 05:51 AM
I have produced series of African movies ,I look for a producer who is interested in funding in African movies and for sure will be in southafrica for the duration,we have a little budget though African movies are always affordable and have good value if well shot with good quality.
I had a budget to shoot a very nice glamour and Im looking for a producer.purely African movie