PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to screenwrite a found footage film?

Mighty Films
06-22-2012, 08:13 PM
Since I am a no-budget filmmaker, I came up with a pretty good idea for a found-footge horror film I want to make that requires little to no money at all. The only problem is that found footage films are a little harder to screenwrite and storyboard. Can someone please tell me their best and easiest way to do this? Thank you.

Jsthompson79
06-22-2012, 08:50 PM
This is Nick's genere. I will say I watched the behind the scenes of paranormal activity and what Oren Peli did was hand the camera to his actors and he had very little actual dialog for them most of it was created on the spot by the two actors.

Nick Soares
06-22-2012, 09:28 PM
Since I am a no-budget filmmaker, I came up with a pretty good idea for a found-footge horror film I want to make that requires little to no money at all. The only problem is that found footage films are a little harder to screenwrite and storyboard. Can someone please tell me their best and easiest way to do this? Thank you.

Yes, its a tough one.

#1 First bullet point your entire idea.

#2 Bullet point your locations

#3 Draw out a rough map of where your "cast" will be going doing.

Make sure your cast is comfortable with ad-libbing lines/scenes ( I learned the hard way)

The biggest issue with found footage is where the camera is going to be pointed. I spent two months preping with a scripted found footage... It didnt work, I found that I had to summarize the situation for the scene and let them go with it naturally.

Anyway, start with the first part of this list and report back when you can

Nick Soares
06-22-2012, 09:28 PM
FYI - Good call on making a found footage horror

Mighty Films
06-22-2012, 09:34 PM
Yes, its a tough one.

#1 First bullet point your entire idea.

#2 Bullet point your locations

#3 Draw out a rough map of where your "cast" will be going doing.

Make sure your cast is comfortable with ad-libbing lines/scenes ( I learned the hard way)

The biggest issue with found footage is where the camera is going to be pointed. I spent two months preping with a scripted found footage... It didnt work, I found that I had to summarize the situation for the scene and let them go with it naturally.

Anyway, start with the first part of this list and report back when you can

Thanks alot for the help, Nick and I will report back sooner or later once I'm finished with the list and pre-production.

Mighty Films
06-22-2012, 09:39 PM
FYI - Good call on making a found footage horror

Thank you. It's one that I can do with just a small amount of money. Also, I don't want it to end up like the usual gotcha moments that you find in most found footage. Although, I might have some of those I'm aiming more for a psychological horror type

Mighty Films
06-28-2012, 06:06 PM
well thank you guys for the advise. I recently hired someone, well not really hired, a friend just decided to join me in my filmmaking career and we are now writing a background story for this found footage film which will be out to the world in about a year or so. Probably less. Thank you.

Nick Soares
01-23-2013, 07:59 PM
Also, this thread might help you
http://www.filmmakerforum.org/scripts/206-how-write-found-footage-script.html

Nick Soares
03-25-2013, 01:38 PM
Anything new with this Mighty?

Mighty Films
04-06-2013, 01:38 AM
Anything new with this Mighty?

Hey Nick.

I am sorry I have not stopped by lately, I have just been stuck here in my "Fortress of Solitude".

I have been through a few username changes but now it seems I have found the one.

I hope I can edit my username here instead of making a new account.

Anyway, Expect a short sketch coming up soon this month.