PDA

View Full Version : New location website for film makers!

Jack OGara
09-03-2015, 02:02 AM
Hi all!

I'v been working hard over the last month on a new project that I would like to share with you all.

I wanted to make a database off filming locations that anyone can view and submit to.
So I have built just that... It is called Iris Directory and is totally free to use.

http://s24.postimg.org/nlv8cw9o5/Capture.png

The site is in early development at the moment but works well.

You can find locations based on distance away from you (or your search area), find locations in set categories as well write and read reviews, comments and of course, submit locations of your own.

I want to have as many categories as needed, there are main categories for types of locations and then sub categories for refined searches.
Obviously there are not a lot at the moment, I need help with expanding this so please suggest some bellow or on our forum!

http://s13.postimg.org/p7req7elj/Capture.png

Each location gets its own page, where the submitter can write about it in the description, giving details like what the location is like to film with, points of interest, things around the area or location to help and stuff like accessibility, dangers etc

They can also add photos of the location and set on the Google maps where it is.

http://s23.postimg.org/mwbkl88a3/Capture.png

Users that are signed up on the site get access to a dashboard. Here you can manage locations that you have submitted as well as get access to features such as the favourite system so you can bookmark locations you like. As well as post on the forum and other parts of the site that are not developed yet.

http://s16.postimg.org/fpfo2uxr9/Capture.png

I hope that this site interests you. I know it has very little in terms of content at the moment, it is very new and with anything like it, it takes time to grow.
This is why I hope that if you like it, please use it, submit locations, help improve the site by suggesting features and categories.

I have a load planned for the site including an abandoned location search, location scouting guides, better filtering on location search, advance search and a much better gallery.
Will be improving performance of the site soon with a faster server if people start to use it too.

You can get to the site by typing Iris.Directory into the address bar, I can't post links here.

Thanks for taking a look. I hope to see you on there using it soon!

Jack,

Steve Olander
09-03-2015, 10:52 PM
You need to also find out from those posting info on your site certain particulars. In the Cleveland, Ohio area there is an amazing Metro-Park system that is the largest of its kind in the US. There are excellent places for shooting films. However, you HAVE to have a permit ($120), and with that permit you HAVE to have insurance. For a weekend of insurance it can cost you $1,000.

These things will also have to be known. I am not sure how you do that, but it is necessary.

I think you have a great idea. Like anything else you will need to tweak it as you learn of other considerations, such as the one I mentioned, but I think your site can be a valuable resource.

Steve

Jack OGara
09-04-2015, 01:00 AM
You need to also find out from those posting info on your site certain particulars. In the Cleveland, Ohio area there is an amazing Metro-Park system that is the largest of its kind in the US. There are excellent places for shooting films. However, you HAVE to have a permit ($120), and with that permit you HAVE to have insurance. For a weekend of insurance it can cost you $1,000.

These things will also have to be known. I am not sure how you do that, but it is necessary.

I think you have a great idea. Like anything else you will need to tweak it as you learn of other considerations, such as the one I mentioned, but I think your site can be a valuable resource.

Steve

There is an option already to say if the location is public or private. It will be up to who ever posts the location to find info like that and add it in such as the permit and insurance like you say.

Thank you, glad you like the idea. I hope to see you on it!