PDA

View Full Version : Feedback needed - "No-budget" comedy short

Jake Eddie Films
07-24-2015, 02:54 PM
Hello. I'm Jake Eddie, owner of theJake Eddie Films Youtube channel. Today, I've uploaded my latest short film titled "No-budget". I would like some feedback and constructive criticism on how I can do better. I know Already that I could definitely use better lighting and I'm currently saving up for a 3-point lighting kit to get started. That being said, I hope you enjoy the film and have advice for me for the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzPhO-rUbSA

Mick Scarborough
07-26-2015, 09:57 PM
You are still creative. I would say the one criticism I have is at many points in the film you had the actors looking directly into the camera as they were talking. This denotes that the viewer is the recipient of the conversation and not the other character. Its confusing and generally frowned upon. Avoid those shots in the future.

miracle productions
07-28-2015, 08:55 AM
Your comedy is very good. It shows imagination and good production values.

In my opinion, things that could improve it:

Music overrides dialog in first few minutes. Duck music during dialog.

A little bit of lighting of the actor's face would allow stopping down aperture to keep window light from blowing out scene.

In the scream scene, your audio clipped causing distortion. Either adjust gain for that part, or use ALC if available.

By the way, listing Incomptech for music in the credits is the correct and honorable way. Not everyone does this.

But, all in all, your film shows creativity and the ability of making a film without spending money. Being an audio person, I really appreciated the clean audio. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous Filmmaker
07-28-2015, 12:16 PM
I think it's great that you played around with the framing but many of the shots didn't work. Try framing the characters to one side of the screen and in general you can go a bit tighter than you did. Also, avoid pointing the camera into a bright light like the window. If you want to use the window light for the other shots you still can, and then just close the blinds or cover it or something when looking into it. Your practical lighting was good. Your pacing could also be a bit faster, but thats hard to get a hang of at first. Keep it up!

Jake Eddie Films
07-30-2015, 02:02 PM
Thank you all so much for the feedback. I will try to apply all this in future videos. I also release new short films every week on my channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrhNo1ruZ9R2BcJ_EqA4wWA

Jake Eddie Films
07-30-2015, 02:18 PM
Thank you all so much for the feedback. I will try to apply all this in future videos. I also release new short films every week on my channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrhNo1ruZ9R2BcJ_EqA4wWA

Steve Olander
07-30-2015, 08:50 PM
When a single person plays 2 characters at least have them wear different shirts, and have a different voice or manner of speaking. Natalie Tran of Community Channel is good at this. Watch some of her videos.

The reference to Russians drinking Vodka was not racist (also Russian is not a race, it is a nationality), it was a stereotype. Racist is having extreme animosity against a race. That was not the case here.

I like the creativity. Keep it going.

Steve