PDA

View Full Version : Super 8 Film editing

Eric Lee S.
06-11-2015, 08:52 PM
Which is the best option for editing super 8 film, physically cutting and editing the film on a splicer with a viewer then transfer the finished product to digital, or transfer all of your footage to digital and edit it on a computer? Plus, how does one work with sound and syncing on this format?

Mick Scarborough
06-11-2015, 09:04 PM
Transfer it to digital media first. That way you can edit it far easier and non-linearly. It also takes care of the audio synch because once its transferred any editor will separate the sound track.

khathawayart
07-08-2015, 08:12 AM
While I started out in S8 and edited many an S8 film with a reel-to-reel viewer and splicer, I'd opt for the transfer first.
Not only will you get the speed correct in playback--assuming the transfer was done properly--but it's non-destructive, as well.

As for synching, if the track is out of sync for some reason, as long as you can locate a sync point, putting it in sync should be pretty easy with an NLE.

Just last night I was thinking about transferring my 16mm short film negative to digital along with the reel-to-reel tapes of the audio. I'd love to edit it digitally. I'll have to look into the cost.

Kurt Hathaway
-------------------
VikingDream7 Productions
Video Production & Editing

khathawayart[at]gmail.com

www.cartoon-balloons.com

scooterwolf
12-18-2016, 05:57 AM
If the sound is embedded in the super-8 footage instead of on a separate track (doubtful since I don’t believe there are any crystal-synch Super-8 cameras) then the sound head on a projector, or play back system is around 8 frames ahead (or maybe behind) the picture track. Transfer the footage, then edit it that way.

Sometimes I do miss the good old days of film.

- Wolf

martynuk
12-19-2016, 04:24 AM
I did some family film transfers years ago, simply ran the projected S8 film and used a video camera to record that image at the same time. For what we wanted it was fine and gave the advantage of digital editing from what was recorded on the camcorder.
For a top quality pro transfer I think the film would be scanned in strips, irreplaceable historical film is scanned this way and can be massively improved in color and stability before editing begins. if you have speech to sync. maybe that could be done by the transfer company who would likely have experience of that work.

scooterwolf
12-19-2016, 12:06 PM
These guys were pretty popular back in the 80’s and 90’s when I was in Film/Animation school,

http://www.filmtransfercompany.com/Boston/

- Wolf