PDA

View Full Version : Bad Timing - short student film

karel s
06-10-2015, 08:53 AM
Hi,
please take a look on my school work from last week. English subtitles included. I will be glad for any feedback from you.

https://youtu.be/EVxYEUYJk5o

Mick Scarborough
06-10-2015, 01:59 PM
Do not be afraid to move your camera. Every scene was unmoving, stagnant and sterile. Use a track dolly, a steadycam... just move. Also you have a very short time to catch the audience's attention. If you don't have it before the first 1 minute, you will lose most viewers. You didn't reveal the story until after 5 minutes. I really wonder how many will stick around long enough to see that. The film lacked the 3 part play structure and failed to engage the audience. There was no character development so we can't like or relate to either one. The good part is you are actively making films and will learn as you go. Keep on filming.

karel s
06-11-2015, 01:08 PM
Do not be afraid to move your camera. Every scene was unmoving, stagnant and sterile. Use a track dolly, a steadycam... just move. Also you have a very short time to catch the audience's attention. If you don't have it before the first 1 minute, you will lose most viewers. You didn't reveal the story until after 5 minutes. I really wonder how many will stick around long enough to see that. The film lacked the 3 part play structure and failed to engage the audience. There was no character development so we can't like or relate to either one. The good part is you are actively making films and will learn as you go. Keep on filming.

Thank you very much. After some time, I must agree, that the first few minutes are really too slow. It was not supposed for the internet audience (which was always more impatient), but that does not matter, it is just too long, whoever is watching it.

About those static images, I chose to use tripod because of its calm story and I thought that steadycam is not appropriate (and our teacher is advising us to use tripod as much as possible).

Anyway, thank you. IŽll try to learn from your advices for the next time :).

Mick Scarborough
06-11-2015, 03:04 PM
That's the best way to learn. Make another one. And another...

Aria Destin
07-01-2015, 11:56 AM
It's a freshman movie, and its expected to turn out kind of mediocre, but it's okay. As time goes by, and you keep making movies (http://rooftop.nu/kontakta-oss/), you'll get better at this stuff.