PDA

View Full Version : Documentary Idea

jodi
06-08-2012, 08:25 AM
Basically we are a company expanding into the U.S market so it, will be essentially like a start up company.

We had an idea to produce a fly on the wall style documentary to demonstrate the difficult start up company have in the U.S, as well as the presidents story who started the company when in hospital and his battle with congenital heart disease often working from his hospital bed, and the innovation that is discovered there, so sort of a back story as well.

We figured a all-areas style would work best, and then look to market it virally as well as try and broadcast locally and online.

We are a biometrics company working in some interesting areas including combat zones at times, and therefore have no idea about film making, first we would like to know if this is a good idea from people in the industry.

Then if agreed it is, any advice on how to get the ball rolling would be great.

Nick Soares
06-08-2012, 08:45 AM
That idea sounds great! It just needs to be done right

#1 - Who will narrate it
#2 - Do you have a camera
#3 - Any sound equipment

Work and those three then report back

jodi
06-08-2012, 08:52 AM
Narrate it, might be a problem and have to investigate into that, I am English and ergo sometimes Americans stuggle with the accent.

The camera and the sound equipment we can purchase, as I am sure for future projects, including product launches etc they will be useful.

Nick Soares
06-08-2012, 08:55 AM
Narrate it, might be a problem and have to investigate into that, I am English and ergo sometimes Americans stuggle with the accent.

The camera and the sound equipment we can purchase, as I am sure for future projects, including product launches etc they will be useful.

Actually English accents can give a certain amount of authority to a project to the US. So dont be afraid of that.

jodi
06-08-2012, 08:58 AM
Valid point, that or the bad guy and evil genuis.

The more I think about the project I am exicited about it.

jodi
06-08-2012, 06:54 PM
So I talked it over with a couple of other people and we think its a great idea, any idea of any companies to approach.

if you want a feel of the products

twitter.com/biocybertronics has some examples of the products.

jodi
06-13-2012, 04:49 AM
So I have talked it over and it looks like we are going to go ahead with the project, as non of us are film makers we are unsure were to start on this.

We could do it in house, but I am worried the look and feel of the thing would look very amuatar hour, that said we do not want to spend a fortune on it either.

Nick Soares
06-13-2012, 08:36 AM
So I have talked it over and it looks like we are going to go ahead with the project, as non of us are film makers we are unsure were to start on this.

We could do it in house, but I am worried the look and feel of the thing would look very amuatar hour, that said we do not want to spend a fortune on it either.

Ive seen a Doc that had two interviews and they just cut to some random footage using the interview audio. It won lots of awards

So pic some people to interview on your "subject" and go from there. (Interview first, so you know what footage to shoot after)

jodi
06-13-2012, 07:35 PM
Thank you, spent a few hours this afternoon looking at suitable equipment to do it.

Do you have any recommendations of shows to watch for inspiration?

Nick Soares
06-13-2012, 10:23 PM
Thank you, spent a few hours this afternoon looking at suitable equipment to do it.

Do you have any recommendations of shows to watch for inspiration?

Do you have Netflix streaming?

jodi
06-14-2012, 03:56 AM
I do yes.

jodi
06-14-2012, 07:29 AM
Thank you for all your help, so far our graphic designer has designed some basic promotional stuff for the project.

We aim to start production on July 1st.
In addition to the above we have opened a Facebook page to promote the documentary although there is not much on it at the moment, other than a brief outline.

We have ordered the following equipment
Canon EOS C300 Cinema EOS Camcorder Body
Canon - BP-955 Lithium-Ion Battery Pack
Sennheiser - Deluxe Shotgun Microphone Kit and Right Angled XLR Cables
Sennheiser EW100 G3 Wireless ENG Kit (A / 516 - 558MHz)
Manfrotto - 504HD Head w/546B 2-Stage Aluminum Tripod System
Zylight - Zylight Z90 LED DV Kit
Pearstone - Acrylic Dry Erase Clapboard with Color Sticks (9.75x11")
Sennheiser - HD 25-1 II - Closed-Back Stereo Headphones

We are looking to chronicle events until September which will be the worlds largest trade expo in our industry.

Is there anything else we should be doing?