PDA

View Full Version : Since We Last

GradeBFilms
05-17-2015, 07:37 AM
Hello again, I'm back!

Recently I've been working on 'How to make a film', my new series on YouTube which will have its first episode sometime this year (it's being reformed as something with a much longer, documentary style format). In the meantime I've been hard at work on my latest short film, which has yet to be released but I figured I'd share it with you anyway!

Layabout Harry must put her life (and her bike) back together after the tragic loss of her soulmate.

http://vimeo.com/gradeb/sincewelast

Password: swl

Please enjoy, any feedback is of course appreciated as the film is far from perfect.

Cheers
Ben

Mick Scarborough
05-17-2015, 02:04 PM
I don't think I have seen this style before. While many indie short film makers create films with no dialogue, I am not used to a "Silent movie" with soundtrack, characters inaudibly speaking and no subtitles and even foley added. Is there a reason for this style?

GradeBFilms
05-17-2015, 02:40 PM
I don't think I have seen this style before. While many indie short film makers create films with no dialogue, I am not used to a "Silent movie" with soundtrack, characters inaudibly speaking and no subtitles and even foley added. Is there a reason for this style?

The style I used was to create a sense of emotion both through the actresses' expressions and, in the argument scene, the constant building of volume and complexity to convey the building of emotions. The lack of subtitles is just in order to put it upon the audience to deduct the progression of the characters' emotions through the visual aspect and sound design cues. The foley added throughout is to highlight important practical facts to the viewer or to simply add depth to a scene; the idea here is that the main focus is on the visual aspect of the characters' reactions, but the world still has sound throughout, so it's not quite a silent film in the traditional sense, which would perhaps feel quite empty and flavourless.

Hope that makes sense.

Mick Scarborough
05-17-2015, 04:07 PM
Interesting.

Aaron Jones
05-18-2015, 11:12 PM
I liked it. I like the way you were using the camera pans to create an illusion. I like the way you were able to catch my attention in different parts. I like the pacing for the most part.

I felt that the constant blur look you were using was a bit too much mixed with the constant music it was causing me to drop some of my attention. You were using it to end a shot as well as to add to your illusion to your creative shot. I think the strength of the blur was a bit much as oppose to using it too much. I'm sure there is a happy medium there. The music should have changed up a bit, I think. In the first shot in the winter scene the white balance was off. I'm still undecided about the shaky camera shots with the action your were capturing. I kind of feel the shakiness was a bit too strong. I could not figure out if these girls were romantically involved, best friends, or sisters that was close.

Over all I liked it and I see you have a good gift for this. I want to say that you have done better than my first short. For the record I have not had time to try another as of yet so I don't want to come off as an expert in any way. It was just my thoughts as I watched this piece. I look forward to watching more of your work.

GradeBFilms
05-19-2015, 01:08 AM
I liked it. I like the way you were using the camera pans to create an illusion. I like the way you were able to catch my attention in different parts. I like the pacing for the most part.

I felt that the constant blur look you were using was a bit too much mixed with the constant music it was causing me to drop some of my attention. You were using it to end a shot as well as to add to your illusion to your creative shot. I think the strength of the blur was a bit much as oppose to using it too much. I'm sure there is a happy medium there. The music should have changed up a bit, I think. In the first shot in the winter scene the white balance was off. I'm still undecided about the shaky camera shots with the action your were capturing. I kind of feel the shakiness was a bit too strong. I could not figure out if these girls were romantically involved, best friends, or sisters that was close.

Over all I liked it and I see you have a good gift for this. I want to say that you have done better than my first short. For the record I have not had time to try another as of yet so I don't want to come off as an expert in any way. It was just my thoughts as I watched this piece. I look forward to watching more of your work.

Thanks for the feedback! I do agree about the blur, it was a problem with only having a couple of lenses at my disposal and the 50mm was the sharpest of the bunch. The shaky effect is also the unfortunate side effect of having cheap lenses without OIS, and no real other equipment for stabilisation (I only managed to buy a real tripod this January) so a lot of issues are the result of the abysmal budget available to me sadly. There are definitely things I would have changed looking back, but that's part of the process.

Again thanks for the feedback.

Mick Scarborough
05-19-2015, 04:52 AM
The film is pretty powerful. The sense of loss and regret is overwhelming. The more I watch it the more it comes alive.

GradeBFilms
05-19-2015, 06:56 AM
The film is pretty powerful. The sense of loss and regret is overwhelming. The more I watch it the more it comes alive.

Thanks, that sort of comment really means a lot! I had to show the writer that one. Cheers.