PDA

View Full Version : Getting a film on iTunes homepage.

Nick Soares
03-30-2015, 05:26 PM
Hello fellow filmmakers!

I thought I would do a post to answer many filmmakers questions on how to get your film listed on iTunes homepage. Distribber delivers hundreds of films a year to iTunes and we do have plenty of titles that make it to the homepage. However the key factor in the process is not really understood in the indie filmmaking world. So I thought I would clear that up.

There are two processes in getting a film featured on the homepage of your computer/mobile device or on your Apple TV.

#1 Algorithmic - There is an algorithm that runs based mostly on Sales and Ratings, but I suspect there are some signals that use the reviews. I also believe that as long as its within 18 months of being live on iTunes you still have a good chance on being listed in New and Noteworthy. We have titles that shoot right to the top 20 spot but drop quickly if the organic traffic does not rent/purchase the product.

#2 Editorial - With this one there is a team in place that will choose a film they feel best fits their audience needs. There is very little influence here however it can be done and we have done it ourselves. If there is some major media push nationwide where it makes sense to iTunes to show the film this way they do not have to search for it then they just might. Its all about user experience.

We currently have a title up on the homepage in the horror section called Hollows Grove (https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/hollows-grove/id924778209) and a few in the documentary section.

I hope this can help clear up the misconceptions out there in the industry.