PDA

View Full Version : Keaton's THREE AGES

UniqueAmI
03-15-2015, 08:13 AM
Keeping in mind they did not have special effects back then, how do you think they shot the jump sequence at the 58:00 mark?

If you know because you've seen it, don't tell. But, I'm curious if anyone can figure it out.

Hint: It was shot live in the middle of LA. It's actually quite incredible. The background gives it away, if you live in LA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw8kcQc6YUo

Mick Scarborough
03-15-2015, 10:29 AM
I'm at a loss.

UniqueAmI
03-15-2015, 11:41 AM
I'm watching his box set and every film has the most astounding material. It's like watching Chaplin, I think "Okay this is the ultimate..." then I watch the next film and it's even better.

This sequence was shot in downtown LA (or there about) and they built the set on top of a bridge. That's what's give the dimension of height. How brilliant is that? He still fell through the 3 awnings... there's off-stage photos from other films that show this location was used quite a bit. Harold Lloyd used it.

If you go back in the film he jumps from a cliff onto a tree which falls. That's Keaton. That's an actual tree that was cut so when he jumped the tree would fall. Can you imagine any actor doing this today? Or even being allowed to.

There's a point where he jumps or falls off a ledge in the mountains. An off-stage picture shows he fell into a blanket being held by a dozen stage-hands.

Besides the absolute genius storytelling, the film making far surpasses the technology of today. If these geniuses were alive today with the same amount of brilliance, you wouldn't be able to pry people out of theatres.

Mick Scarborough
03-15-2015, 02:15 PM
Yeah with insurance and industry safety regulations there is no way he could make those stunts today.

Marius Macrobius
03-15-2015, 09:15 PM
I would have said a terraced building with blow-up mattress on the step underneath him out of frame.