PDA

View Full Version : The Interview film - Will it be Leaked?

Nick Soares
12-18-2014, 09:32 PM
Question, not sure if anyone has heard about "The Interview" being rejected by theaters, but now Sony is thinking of not releasing it at all. Clearly the demand for this film is enormous right now, so my question is - "Do you think Sony can keep this film from being leaked on the web?"

UniqueAmI
12-19-2014, 05:05 AM
Sony can't buy the publicity that is being generated for this film. It will eventually be released and will make a fortune. Because everyone will go for the "USA USA USA".

mara
12-19-2014, 07:03 AM
I think it's impossible to keep it from being leaked. And that will cost them even more (lost potential revenue) when they do eventually release the movie.

I'm also (very) interested in what's going to happen to Sony going forward - they've pissed off a tremendous number of people via these leaked emails.

Mick Scarborough
12-19-2014, 08:16 AM
its sad Sony has not only lost its integrity but they have abandoned their rights. Film has always been art and all art if free to display no matter how inflammatory or controversial. Sony needs to wake up, stop bowing to a 3rd world dictator and release this film.

Nick Soares
12-19-2014, 04:53 PM
its sad Sony has not only lost its integrity but they have abandoned their rights. Film has always been art and all art if free to display no matter how inflammatory or controversial. Sony needs to wake up, stop bowing to a 3rd world dictator and release this film.

I do not believe Sony pulled it, I think the theaters didn't want it. So they had to cancel.

Anonymous Filmmaker
12-19-2014, 07:14 PM
Now all the theaters will want it and they will make a fortune.

Mick Scarborough
12-20-2014, 07:12 AM
Sony says they have not decided how to release the film yet. They have eliminated theatre release at this point.

iaak1983
12-20-2014, 09:16 AM
im sorry but hakers threatened sony not to release this, what self respecting haker would do such a thing also where is this escalating going to stop obama gets involved to say have a go at sony for giving in to hackers demand then north korea make a press releas to go against fbi accusations that they are the ones that haked and threatened sony , wtf couldnt write this stuff and make it into a film if you tried it would sound so obsurd. can you imaging 50 years from now little kid walking around a ghost town with his mum... "So tell me the story again mummy, why did north kora nuke the shit out of the rest of the world?" "because sony let george cluney make a film honey, ill tell you the whole story againg after we catch supper." awsome stuff

UniqueAmI
12-23-2014, 05:26 PM
What did I tell you? This could possibly be the greatest publicity stunt ever. Five theatres running twenty-four hours a day could probably make this turn a profit.

The funny thing will be if this movie really sucks. The expectations now is to entertain a large amount of people who would have never thought of seeing this. They'll be defectors TO North Korea (that's a joke).

UniqueAmI
12-23-2014, 10:30 PM
I heard a great one tonight. Kim Jung will be voted reviewer of the year after audiences see this.

I'm waiting for it get to HBO.

It's amazing how as people we've changed. It's Seth Rogan, James Franco, Michael Cora, Jason Segal vrs Clark Gable, Humphrey Bogart, Edward G Robinson, James Cagney. We've become scary and ugly.

mara
12-24-2014, 08:36 AM
It's amazing how as people we've changed. It's Seth Rogan, James Franco, Michael Cora, Jason Segal vrs Clark Gable, Humphrey Bogart, Edward G Robinson, James Cagney. We've become scary and ugly.

I understand your point but I think you're over-simplifying. We only remember the great actors from previous generations (and only their best movies are still shown). We have some great actors today - among the best younger ones I'd count Bradley Cooper, Matthew McConaughey, and Eddie Redmayne (you only mentioned men so I'm doing the same).

JHar888
12-24-2014, 09:51 AM
In two years from now, if this film has never been released ANYWHERE at all, and is not available in ANY shape, form, or fashion, I will be thoroughly surprised. Hell, I'll eat my freakin' hat.

UniqueAmI
12-24-2014, 10:48 AM
I understand your point but I think you're over-simplifying. We only remember the great actors from previous generations (and only their best movies are still shown). We have some great actors today - among the best younger ones I'd count Bradley Cooper, Matthew McConaughey, and Eddie Redmayne (you only mentioned men so I'm doing the same).

I'm going to be completely politically incorrect. This is strictly an opinion of a dinosaur, who happens to love movies.

Bogie in Casablanca pined for a woman. He was also a "man" about it. He still retained the masculine traits attributed to men. Gable in Gone with the Wind the same thing. They had no feminine characteristics. Yet "romance" is considered a feminine trait (hence romance movies being called chick flicks. Which I personally think is moronic, I enjoy romance movies. But, I also enjoy a well told story) Lead actors with overly prevalent feminine characteristics rule the majority of films today, not just in the characters but in the men themselves. Does it stop me from enjoying some of the films, no. I don't consider this a problem of any sort, it's just a preference. Leigh in GWTW was a strong willed woman who was completely feminine. Crawford in Mildred Pierce, Davis in All About Eve the same thing. They were women. Astaire and Kelly danced like men and were men after tapping their toes. I find old movies where men were men and women were women more entertaining. It might also be because I think the scripts and dialogue were better. But, when I watch Bogie, Cagney, Gable and 99% of the actors of the "star system" I aspire to them. There isn't a male star in the last 20 years that I aspire to. I look at the actors I mentioned from today and I see myself. I don't have to aspire to them, I am them. I don't want to watch someone below average visually. Most of these modern leading men back in the studio system would be delegated to support at best. Do these actors deserve to be stars of films? I guess so. Personally, I don't really find them funny or even entertaining. So, they're just not my cup of tea. I find them so ordinary and actually unattractive that it's almost distracting. But, I guess that's where films are going today.

I enjoy the Pirates of the Caribbean films. They're absolute escapism. But, could Jack Sparrow be more feminine? Not in any time or place could someone be more feminine and not be gay. Yet, we're to believe that he's had every woman and wanted Knightley and Cruz. I still enjoy the films, but come on... I personally find the Sparrow character and his popularity a Freudian Dream in a psychoanalytical way.

Yeah, I know I'm a dinosaur with my head up my ass. I still enjoy what I enjoy.

Now to go deeper and further into political incorrectness, and in this "my opinion" can be totally wrong and incorrect. But, since I don't usually argue politics like this, I've never been proven wrong. So, I'm throwing it out there, and by all means change my mind on this point.

IMO I believe films represent society and the people living in that particular time (unless it's a period piece). So, in real life men are becoming feminine and women are becoming masculine. The problem I see is the sexes are utilizing the worst traits of the other and emphasizing (this might not be the best word) them. The violent crime rate committed by women has grown astronomically over the last decades. My mother who could cuss like a truck driver always retained that "female femininity". There are photos of Carole Lombard duck hunting and she retains every bit of her femininity. Every photo, movie, and aspect of culture before 1960 (the year I was born) men were men and women were women. That's no longer the case. The most feminine women today in a dress pushing her baby's stroller down the block still comes off as a man, and the most gruff guy comes off like a woman. Is this wrong in any way? No. Does it make any difference? No. I just miss men being men and women being women in the old fashioned sense (This has nothing to do with sexuality of the species).

Again, I'm a dinosaur with my head up my ass. I'll leave it there.

mara
12-24-2014, 11:16 AM
UniqueAmI I think the only thing we agree on is that movies reflect society when they're made - personally I'm damn glad society has changed, but I say that as a woman who has benefited from those changes. Let's leave it at that.

But I do think that the quality of acting is a separate issue and it's not notably better in one generation than another. The acting style has changed - it's far more naturalistic today than 40 or 50 years ago, which I think contributes (intentionally) to the perception that the characters (and thus the actors) are similar to the viewer.

UniqueAmI
12-24-2014, 12:12 PM
It's great society has changed. Women's rights and minority rights are a billion times better than they were in the Golden Age of cinema. That's the way it should be. Everyone is equal. But, I just wish it would have changed in a different way. There's nothing wrong with improving while retaining the good. But, IMO embracing the worst to achieve an end, in the end, will be regrettable. I'll be long dead before this is fully realized, and I'm thankful for that.

It's nice you want to "leave it at that". But, I took the time to write my hateful post. It'd be nice to actually read thoughts and not such a "you're a dick, I'm not going to bother" response.

Merry Christmas!

mara
12-24-2014, 02:04 PM
No implication intended that I think you're a dick! I just don't feel like arguing, that's all.
Merry Christmas to you too!